New DIY Enclosure, Tips Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
I've been away from these forums for 10 years and while I was sad that my original DIY tank images had expired and I couldn't do a side by side I knew where I wanted to go to share my latest attempt (and where to get the best info on anything I might be doing wrong).

My one concern was my UVB bulb, its a 22'' and I'm slightly worried it isn't big enough for the enclosure. In it's defense its a really nice Carolina Cages high reflective fixture and a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO bulb so I was thinking it would be strong enough. If it isn't, definitely break the news to me and I'll upgrade.

The tank was made from 3/4'' Melamine Boards, Vinyl flooring tiles and Plexi. Plus a bit of aluminum screen and a bunch of industrial velcro strips.

Let me know what you think! I don't hardly ever build things from scratch like this.

20200808_223339.jpg

and here's the beautiful girl who gets to live here! (still thinking of names)

2020_0719N5femaleleather0007.JPG

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that's a beautiful enclosure, well done ! Beautiful leatherback dragon as well. :) I think the light may be a bit too high up for the uvb to reach a baby dragon, maybe fix a basking spot that she can get up a little closer to it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes a beautiful tank --- and yes the UVB looks too high up for a T 5 you can go to a Arcadia 14% bulb the distance on them is 24' so if your tank is 24' I would look at getting that bulb --- you want her to be able to get directly underneath that UVB -- how tall is the tank? You need your T 5 now approx 12-15 inches from the basking spot-- how are you taking basking temps I dont see any thermometers or a hygrometer in the tank -- I would get two digital probe thermometers and place one on the cool side and one on the basking side - maybe get a infrared heat gun as well
Karrie

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The tank is indeed 24'' tall. I'll be sure to situate a basking spot closer to it. I thought the high output bulbs had the 18-24 inch range but I trust your judgement and will look into the Arcadia bulb.

For temperature monitoring i have a handheld laser temp gun coming in the next couple of days. I totally forgot about measuring the humidity. I'll be sure to pick something up. Thanks everyone!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My zen is 24" tall - I had it strapped to the top of the tank w/ a piece of decor approx 17-18 inches underneath it---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom