New DIY Enclosure, Tips Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
I've been away from these forums for 10 years and while I was sad that my original DIY tank images had expired and I couldn't do a side by side I knew where I wanted to go to share my latest attempt (and where to get the best info on anything I might be doing wrong).

My one concern was my UVB bulb, its a 22'' and I'm slightly worried it isn't big enough for the enclosure. In it's defense its a really nice Carolina Cages high reflective fixture and a Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO bulb so I was thinking it would be strong enough. If it isn't, definitely break the news to me and I'll upgrade.

The tank was made from 3/4'' Melamine Boards, Vinyl flooring tiles and Plexi. Plus a bit of aluminum screen and a bunch of industrial velcro strips.

Let me know what you think! I don't hardly ever build things from scratch like this.

20200808_223339.jpg

and here's the beautiful girl who gets to live here! (still thinking of names)

2020_0719N5femaleleather0007.JPG

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that's a beautiful enclosure, well done ! Beautiful leatherback dragon as well. :) I think the light may be a bit too high up for the uvb to reach a baby dragon, maybe fix a basking spot that she can get up a little closer to it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes a beautiful tank --- and yes the UVB looks too high up for a T 5 you can go to a Arcadia 14% bulb the distance on them is 24' so if your tank is 24' I would look at getting that bulb --- you want her to be able to get directly underneath that UVB -- how tall is the tank? You need your T 5 now approx 12-15 inches from the basking spot-- how are you taking basking temps I dont see any thermometers or a hygrometer in the tank -- I would get two digital probe thermometers and place one on the cool side and one on the basking side - maybe get a infrared heat gun as well
Karrie

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The tank is indeed 24'' tall. I'll be sure to situate a basking spot closer to it. I thought the high output bulbs had the 18-24 inch range but I trust your judgement and will look into the Arcadia bulb.

For temperature monitoring i have a handheld laser temp gun coming in the next couple of days. I totally forgot about measuring the humidity. I'll be sure to pick something up. Thanks everyone!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My zen is 24" tall - I had it strapped to the top of the tank w/ a piece of decor approx 17-18 inches underneath it---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom