Pale, lethargic, black beard

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Pale, lethargic, black beard

Postby CaptainSpikes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:02 am

Hi all, I have been lurking since we got Captain Spikes (3 yrs) at the end of March. We have cleaned up his habitat & diet & he is being treated for gout. His last bloodwork & fecal were good in May.
Starting last week he has a full time black beard and his color is sometimes very pale. He has always been very low energy but this last week he is practically comatose. I can force feed him but he hasn’t eaten willingly in 10 days. Our vet is out until Aug 17 though I did ask her office to let her know he was ill. Any ideas on something I could do in the meantime? We are really concerned.
CaptainSpikes
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Pale, lethargic, black beard

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:54 am

What are you using for a UVB --- no coils they are inadequate--- how old is the UVB? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them ? No stick ons----- what size tank is he in?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby CaptainSpikes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Reptisun tube t5 10.0, new in May. Basking temps are 98, taken with IR temp gun. Tank is 50 gal.
CaptainSpikes
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:52 pm

And the placement of the UVB is where- if you have a fine screen like a screen door it should be in tank approx 12-15 inches directly above basking decor- has he been checked for parasites? If he's got real runny and smelly poop like enough to drive your from the room that would be a good sign--
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby CaptainSpikes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:47 pm

The UVB runs the length of the tank and there is no screen, so it is about 20” from the floor & 13” from his highest place to lay.

He hasn’t been checked for parasites since June, but was ok then. For the last few days he has had a lot of little white poops, or weird slimy ones but they don’t seem to be crazy smelly, lol.
CaptainSpikes
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Ok so lighting of UVB is good --- what is he on for meds for the gout and how much is he on? Black beard means hes in distress or pain - is he all swollen up now ? Can you post pics of him so Tracie shes our vet tech and AHBD can look at him---
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic to post
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby CaptainSpikes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:56 pm

He has taken .15 ml of Allopurinol daily since April 24. The swelling in his arms was severe and both are remarkably better. I am attaching a pic from today and one from about 10 days ago.[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
CaptainSpikes
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:04 pm

So in the last 10 days he has gone to pale lethargic and black beard?? Can you post a pic of his tank? The swelling is still down? He looked good in the pic on top and the bottom not so good - can you post a pic of him now please
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:07 pm

What insect are/were you feeding for a staple feeder? Dubias are high in protein so if your feeding those please find a different one- like silk worms- but we need to find out what is going on w/ the black beard --- lethargic behavior --- all this info is going to help Tracie and AHBD--
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby CaptainSpikes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:18 pm

He exclusively ate Dubias when we got him and came with a colony, but he lost interest and I was glad because of the protein/gout. We have tried crickets, bsfl, & superworms. Swelling is still down in his arms. The pics posted the healthy one first, sorry about that. The sad one is today. Here is his house & current position. [Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
CaptainSpikes
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi there, I'm really sorry to see Captain Spikes looking so very ill. :( It is possible that he's suffering side effects from the long use of Allopurinol which can cause both liver + kidney problems as well as others. When was the last time he had bloodwork done ? That would show his liver + kidney function. I would stop the meds. ASAP and try to get extra hydration in him if possible. I'm wishing the best for your big boy ! He is pretty critical right now.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby CaptainSpikes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:29 pm

His last blood check was June 6. I will stop the meds immediately and try to keep him hydrated. He is such a good boy, we are just devastated. Thanks for the advice and well wishes.
CaptainSpikes
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Best wishes to your big boy.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:37 pm

I would post your last blood work for Tracie
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby CaptainSpikes » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Original vet visit and then follow up after starting Allopurinol.
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
CaptainSpikes
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER