Very Lethargic baby Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you order the Zoo Med fixture I had sent in my earlier post? The T 8 you have the bulb will need to be replaced in 6 months---- what size is the tank you have him in now?
Karrie

MamaD

Original Poster
KarrieRee":r49h2pr2 said:
Did you order the Zoo Med fixture I had sent in my earlier post? The T 8 you have the bulb will need to be replaced in 6 months---- what size is the tank you have him in now?
Karrie

We did. He’s in a 10 gallon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OMG ---- I did not know he was in such a small tank ---- pics just dont do it--- ok I would start looking for a bigger tank --- if your having a hard time w/ the basking temps down grade to a 75 watt bulb --- it is very hard to get temps in such small tanks ---
Next you need to start looking for a tank that is 75-120 gallon he will need it by the time he is a year old and will have outgrown this 10 gallon in a few months ----------- you can start w/ FB marketplace or Craigslist -- look for one w/ front doors --- if you find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/ Zoo Med Wipe Out or order some F 10- its a vet disinfectant - you can find it on Ebay --- it will kill anything in the tank --- it last a long time - I use it to really clean my tanks -- if your looking for new we have some websites you can go look --- my two tanks are Zen Habitats
Hang on to the fixture coming it will go right into the new tank your upgrading to--
Karrie

MamaD

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ux4tn0j said:
OMG ---- I did not know he was in such a small tank ---- pics just dont do it--- ok I would start looking for a bigger tank --- if your having a hard time w/ the basking temps down grade to a 75 watt bulb --- it is very hard to get temps in such small tanks ---
Next you need to start looking for a tank that is 75-120 gallon he will need it by the time he is a year old and will have outgrown this 10 gallon in a few months ----------- you can start w/ FB marketplace or Craigslist -- look for one w/ front doors --- if you find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/ Zoo Med Wipe Out or order some F 10- its a vet disinfectant - you can find it on Ebay --- it will kill anything in the tank --- it last a long time - I use it to really clean my tanks -- if your looking for new we have some websites you can go look --- my two tanks are Zen Habitats
Hang on to the fixture coming it will go right into the new tank your upgrading to--
Karrie

I’m so glad I found this group. Everything the lady we got him from, and the Petco has been wrong. I feel so bad—he’s not thriving because of our set up. They said he’d be good in this for a year. That the bulbs were really good. That he should eat pretty much only meal worms. I just hope we can get him straightened out!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can -- you have caught it early enough--- 10 gallon tanks for dragons should not be sold- bare minimum is 40 and that's pushing it--- please do not listen to the people at Petco or PetSmart or whoever you got him from - they have not a clue- mealworms are to hard on babies because of the exoskeleton- - super worms are to be fed in little amounts and wax worms sparingly they are too fatty and fed long term can cause liver issues-- by the time your guy hits 5 months or sooner he's going to be too big for that 10 gallon - save it for your roaches - that's what I keep mine in-
Karrie

MamaD

Original Poster
KarrieRee":24uqdfa0 said:
You can -- you have caught it early enough--- 10 gallon tanks for dragons should not be sold- bare minimum is 40 and that's pushing it--- please do not listen to the people at Petco or PetSmart or whoever you got him from - they have not a clue- mealworms are to hard on babies because of the exoskeleton- - super worms are to be fed in little amounts and wax worms sparingly they are too fatty and fed long term can cause liver issues-- by the time your guy hits 5 months or sooner he's going to be too big for that 10 gallon - save it for your roaches - that's what I keep mine in-
Karrie

I won’t listen to them anymore. I can’t believe how much wrong info they gave. But—he just took some water and repta-boost!! After hours of nothing! ??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that's good- just remember to feed at least 2 hrs before lights out- he needs time to start digesting his food- 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, that is a very small tank indeed! What size are you trying to get him into now, or
have you already moved him into another tank?
I hope he is feeling better. At least he had some repta boost with some water. Keep trying
with him, hopefully he will improve.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

MamaD

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3t9ms2ly said:
How is your baby doing?
Karrie

He’s taken two more meals of repta-boost and water. We were outside for some sunbathing. He still seems tired and not super hungry but he’s doing so much better.

He pooped this morning and he gets very active in the tote when we’re outside.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good he's eating -- you want him eating his appetite will pick up in time-- feed insects- or at least offer them just make sure you don't leave any in the tank so count how many you feed-
Karrie

MamaD

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1e6cy253 said:
Ok good he's eating -- you want him eating his appetite will pick up in time-- feed insects- or at least offer them just make sure you don't leave any in the tank so count how many you feed-
Karrie

He’s super alert and active! And he ate a cricket! I’m so happy!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good -- you can try salads and I would get some BSFL for him I think I posted a bunch of websites for you
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Excellent, it sounds like the sunshine is affecting him very quickly as well as the hydration. :) When you have him out in the tote be sure to give him a small log or branch to bask on and if it's over 75 degrees out make sure that you create dappled shade. BTW, if your tote is bigger than his 10 gallon tank you could keep him in there. Anyway, this is how I used to put my hatchlings outside . I have plastic trellis set up around it so it creates shaded areas.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29981/full

MamaD

Original Poster
AHBD":2rnew1uy said:
Excellent, it sounds like the sunshine is affecting him very quickly as well as the hydration. :) When you have him out in the tote be sure to give him a small log or branch to bask on and if it's over 75 degrees out make sure that you create dappled shade. BTW, if your tote is bigger than his 10 gallon tank you could keep him in there. Anyway, this is how I used to put my hatchlings outside . I have plastic trellis set up around it so it creates shaded areas.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29981/full

I will work on putting a branch and creating some shade like you showed in the picture. The tote we have is actually bigger than the tank. Is it ok to not have a lid? We have a cat and I was worried about that if there was no tank lid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom