I’m not able to clean my beardie’s tank , please help asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinityy

so I’ve had my bearded dragon mango for about 6 days and today she started shedding and itching her head with her foot (I’m assuming that’s to help get some of the shed off) but I need to clean the tank bc there is shed everywhere , however mango is still scared of me. when i put my hand in her tank she gets very stressed so I’m trying to avoid stressing her out , but I NEED to clean her tank out because it’s becoming very dirty ! what do I do ??

I would just clean her cage; her stressing isn't as important as her health and cleanliness. She can afford to be stressed for the short amount of time it takes her cage to be thoroughly cleaned.

trinityy

Original Poster
I ended up cleaning it thoroughly while she was sleeping but thank you ! next time , I’ll just clean it without hesitation bc cleanliness is definitely more important :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Spray her in the tank -- it will help w/ the shed --- you can take a soft baby tooth brush and brush lightly after you spray her --- just keep working w/ her she will eventually get over the stress --- but you need to get your hands in the tank as mush as possible
Karrie

trinityy

Original Poster
yes, I’ve been reading on shedding so today I’ve been misting her as well as putting my hand quite far in the tank without her freaking out and she is definitely getting more comfortable with me ! thank you for your tips and advice !

Draven88

Hatchling Member
For cleaning, its likely you wont always be able to do so when she is sleeping and you will want to periodically disinfect the enclosure which should never be done while they are in it. What I would recommend is to have a suitable size storage bin to temporarily place her in for cleanings until she is more comfortable and when doing a full clean/disinfect of the enclosure. You can just cover the bottom with paper towels or shelf liner (non-adhesive). It will allow you to keep her in a safe place while cleaning and see her the whole time but not be stressed or near the cleaning materials.

I have one that would think it was a game to nip at any paper towel I was using to clean up a mess for fun (I have a tiled bottom that's very easy to clean) but it always made me nervous he would try to eat any piece that might rip off (this particular one of my 6 literally always wants more to eat and would be fat if I let him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom