What causes eating changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
This might belong in health, hard to know sometimes...
And apologies in advance for the novel. ?

Our 8 month old female is currently offered bsfl and dubia roaches for daily breakfast and dinner, with salad in between.

She has been a good salad eater for months now. And once she found her appetite, she would eat just about anything and everything we put in front of her - of course not as good on salad as bugs.
Recently she started taking fewer roaches, but I figured she was just regulating herself as she's getting older.
But then, probably 4 days ago, she started refusing her salad almost completely.
She is still eating bugs, but not as many and not with the gusto she used to.
She is pooping fine.
Behavior wise she started hiding under her hammock on the cool side for a few days, but then started being out more again. Then for the last 2-3 days she has started surfing again almost every time we put her back in. We're looking at that as her just finally deciding she likes being out to explore, because there haven't been any recent changes in environment. (But please feel free to suggest otherwise).

I've been here a few months now, so I have read and checked that her setup is as I see recommended here all the time, so it's not that.
She doesn't look to me like she's getting ready to shed, but I think I'm pretty bad at judging that.

So what else can cause them to suddenly change like this at this age? I've read that adults just go off something for a while but do juvies?
Or do I need to worry about some underlying issue that may just not be totally obvious yet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They do go off their food at times or slow down -- you might try switching up the bugs -- get her some silk worms -- I would order a few like 20 or 25 see how she does w/ them - good thing about roaches is they keep for a long time and you can put the BSFL in your fridge on your door - they will go dormant - Blaze quit eating BSFL all together around 6-7 months old - guess he got tired of them :lol: -- he still goes for the roaches tho--- and I feed him worms silk horn and super --- they are an addition to his salads -- keep track of her weight if shes not eating that much -- kitchen food scale weigh in grams and weigh her like every couple of weeks - if shes losing weight it might be time for a vet check -- they will go off their food if they have parasites too --- does her poop smell so bad it drives you from the room? Is it real runny? Signs of parasites--- as long as your lighting is up to par and basking temps are good then your good on that aspect--
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She will still eat her bugs, but not as many, and definitely not as enthusiastically. And just refuses to touch any and all greens or now even veggies like her favorite colored bell peppers and squash. It's such a big change from how she was.
She just seems...well, if I were to put a ham characteristic on her, I'd say depressed.

I'm not opposed to trying silkworms, but I refuse to pay .80-1.00 a worm and haven't found them for less. ?

Her poo is pretty standard.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just posted on the feeders board websites w/ prices go look there I posted this morning
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom