Looking for the right place to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my baby boy Krasny died while I was in college, I finally am ready emotionally and financially ready to get another. My only issue is that I live in Wyoming and I can't find any breeders near me. I'm honestly just looking for a male beardie thats as close to black as I can. Nothing very special. I found one at the petco in Casper. But I'm very apprehensive about getting one there because of what I heard about with the health issues that come with buying beardies there. Krasny came from a Petsmart and he passed when he was 4 years old. I just really want my next beardie to live longer. I really want to have more time with my next baby. So I'm trying to find a good beardie source. What should I do?

I have been lucky with bearded dragons from Petco/Petsmart, before. I know that everyone is going to contradict me on this, but not all of them are necessarily unhealthy or sick. I have found luck in KSL classifieds, which resonates in Utah, and is online. That suggestion really depends on how far you are willing to drive...
Honestly, if it were me, and I really couldn't find another one, I would take a shot with the one from Petco. Yes, I know that everyone is going to hate at that and say that's extremely irresponsible, but my view is that it's a beardie, and that as long as he/she's not visibly unhealthy, I would go for it.
It's not exactly a long shot to get a healthy one. Most of them, I would go as far to say, are probably perfectly fine, though that all depends on the certain Petco.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I believe people that buy from Petco or Petsmart are saving the bearded dragons --- its the people that buy from there that have not a clue so its a lose lose situation all the way around -- you have a dragon that is not some times healthy to begin w/ and people not knowing how to take care of them in the first place and then listening to the pet store people ---------------- disaster waiting to happen all the way around!!! Since your experienced w/ them your chances are better than some one not knowing a clue as to what to look for in aspects of a sick dragon--- :) I dont know if that made any sense --
Karrie

babybat124

Original Poster
Thanks guys. This really helped. I have seen the videos from the reptile mills that these pet stores buy from. I would be saving one from someone who is inexperienced. I have sat down and done research on the right way to care for a beardie before. So I know I won't fall for the uneducated things they tell you. Like that they need to have a buddy so buy 2. I know beardies are extremely territorial. I'll do some more research into what to look for in an unhealthy beardie so I make sure I get one that's healthy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They say to buy one that is really active and alert --- I am the one that always goes for the one thats the runt--- Blaze was the runt in the clutch -- he was the one not getting enough to eat and picked on so he went home w/ me -- If your in the store and one comes to the front of the tank and is following you take him / her --- they have picked you out :) I have had several do that to me in the pet stores and its heart breaking cuz I cant take them home -- I have enough w/ my two now so :roll:
Karrie

apkelley93":2foz29eu said:
I have 2 beardies I got from Petsmart and they're both 6 years old now and very healthy

It's the same for me; Lizzie and Jaxy are both from Petsmart, and though I was a first-time owner and fell for a couple things: sand substrate, buddy beardies, mealworm diet, I soon learned. They even bred and had "children." Yes, I still keep them together in the same cage, but I don't have it in me to separate them when they have been perfectly fine together for adding on to three years.

babybat124

Original Poster
SavannahDragons":3c4k3lnm said:
apkelley93":3c4k3lnm said:
I have 2 beardies I got from Petsmart and they're both 6 years old now and very healthy

It's the same for me; Lizzie and Jaxy are both from Petsmart, and though I was a first-time owner and fell for a couple things: sand substrate, buddy beardies, mealworm diet, I soon learned. They even bred and had "children." Yes, I still keep them together in the same cage, but I don't have it in me to separate them when they have been perfectly fine together for adding on to three years.
Is there a certain substrate I should use? When I had Krasny I just continued to use paper towel. I heard that ingesting sand was very bad for them so I just kept using paper towel.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get slated ceramic tile something w/ texture No course stuff or some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- both from your local home improvement store easy to clean you would need to cut tile w/ a tile cutter or try and find pieces to fit w/out cutting-
Karrie

If this is an option for you, a bioactive enclosure is a great thing to have. I myself have semi-bioactive enclosures right now, but am planning to have them fully bioactive. I won't give you all the details here, myself, but I will tell you that:

Bioactive enclosures you don't have to clean as often.

Cazz

I found my bearded on Craigslist. The guy lived locally. After asking him a few questions and I felt comfortable enough to feel the animal was well cared for and I took the plunge. She ended up being well acclimated to human hands, very healthy and a very voracious and active eater.

I'd give a nod to Craigslist if you know what to ask.

babybat124

Original Poster
Brought my baby home on Friday and have its tank all set up. Of course because of the covid I couldn't hold the beardies. But I did pick one that was very active and attentive. It was very alert on the ride home. It was definitely a hot 2 hour ride home but I wanted to make sure it stayed warm. Right now its too small to determine gender. So fingers crossed its boy.

saraho

Hatchling Member
My beardie was found through our local zoo. Someone gave them info on one needing a home and they contacted me (we are both part of city departments). It worked out fairly well. In the future, I'd consider our local pet store a good option. She breeds her own beardies and I've met some of her adults. They are well cared for and she used to work at our zoo, so I know she's not going to try to sell me on getting two or feeding them mealworms.

My boy was in a first grade classroom for almost 2 years so he's very calm and acclimated to children, which is a plus for me. I'm a Children's Librarian and he's my education animal. I don't think the previous owner did everything right with him, but I'm educating myself on giving him the best life possible, so I have high hopes of spending years taking care of and loving him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom