Power Outage - 48+ Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Our power is out, and looks like it will remain out for at least 48 hours. I’m more concerned about UV than heat... it’s going to be about 80-90 degrees, not optimal but not freezing. If I get Figment out in full sunshine for a couple hours a day, will that fill his UV “tank” until power comes on?

And what should I do about feeding, since he doesn’t have a basking spot?

I’m trying to find a place we can go that has power, but my dear husband pitched a fit at the idea of going to a hotel for my dragon’s sake... so please advise what I can do to keep Figment in good shape, please.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it too much at this time of year. He will be OK at room temps for a few days, especially if he gets some time outside. I would just offer food to him normally.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

I hope you don't mind but I did a little digging into your posting history to learn more about your situation before giving advice. Since you started posting about Figment in August of 2019, he's at least a year old. Because of that, there is no real danger to him not getting light (UV or Heat) or food for a couple days.

Is it less than ideal? Sure it is. But provided he is otherwise healthy (and since you're a long-time poster here who keeps other reptiles he probably is) he should be just fine.

Hope that helps,
-Ellen

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input, folks... I'll keep an eye on Figment; I don't like having him without light and UV for even a little while, but I'm glad that you both feel he'll be okay. I'll probably cut back his portion sizes a bit at mealtimes, just to be on the safe side. He'll definitely be soaking in the sun for as long as I can get him out there. Keeping my fingers crossed that the power comes back soon... I need to get my husband on board with getting a generator!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Totally, agree. Figment will be fine for a day or two without lights :)

A lot of times we think they are much more fragile than they actually are, because this site is full of people who come here mainly only when something goes bad. They are quite resilient actually :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he will be just fine. You can just make him as comfortable as you can & hopefully
the power will be back on soon for you both!

Tracie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Brandon and Tracie - You made me feel even better! We don’t often lose power, and I get a little anxious. But you’re right; beardies are built to be hardy critters. As long as I can flee to a place with power and WiFi to post my questions here, I know I’ll be fine - and with you folks giving me advice, I know Figment will be, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom