Inconsistent eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

rytoledo

Hello all.

My family and I recently brought from Remi (approx 4 months old) about 10 days ago and I’m hoping it’s just relocation stress, but she has been pretty inconsistent at eating. First couple of days she only wanted around 10 small/medium crickets. Next day she wanted closer to 15. Then I got my shipment of BSFL from symtons and she’s still only taken in 20-25 small/mediums a day, except for one day where she ate over 50(about 3 days ago) and now she’s back to 20-25/day. She’s eaten a few nibbles of dandelion greens and collard greens but it’s seem like she doesn’t have a big appetite. Any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is going thru relocation stress- it's good she's eating-- it's when they quit eating all together is when to get concerned- just keep feeding her and let her adjust to her surroundings- work w/ her hand feeding she needs to learn to trust-
Karrie

rytoledo

Original Poster
KarrieRee":aboaux4r said:
She is going thru relocation stress- it's good she's eating-- it's when they quit eating all together is when to get concerned- just keep feeding her and let her adjust to her surroundings- work w/ her hand feeding she needs to learn to trust-
Karrie

Thank you for the response Karrie. Another question, about how long does relocation stress usually last?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Depends on the dragon----- could be a few weeks up to months-- just watch his behavior as long as he's eating basking pooping and hydrated- he should be fine-- some days he may not poop for a week or so don't be alarmed what goes in does come out--- basking temps and UVB are the most important thing in the tank-- no coils for UVB
Karrie

rytoledo

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the replies.

It’s been a rough couple of days with Remi. Before she would at least nibble on some greens and eat maybe 10 bsfl. Now she won’t eat anything. I’ve tried offering fresh dandelion green and collard greens, squash, carrots, and fresh bsfl 2-3 a day and she’s just not interested.

She has a runnier poop for the first time, but I think it’s because she drank too much water that I was giving to her drop by drop. Her basking temp is 110F on the temp gun and I’ve got the reptisun UVB bulb in her tank.

Any other suggestions??
I’m going to try to not hold her at all for a week to maybe help her ease Her relocation stress to see if that’s helps.

Any other suggestions or anything I’m doing wrong?

56252-4540549852.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB fixture is there a reflector behind it? If not you need to get a reflector and tell me what bulb is in that fixture? Is it a T 8 or a T 5? Work slowly w / Remi she needs to adjust to her surroundings but the UVB needs to be fixed first -- it needs to taken off the back wall and placed directly over her but I need to know what the bulb is and is there a reflector on the fixture
Karrie

rytoledo

Original Poster
KarrieRee":15pvj92v said:
The UVB fixture is there a reflector behind it? If not you need to get a reflector and tell me what bulb is in that fixture? Is it a T 8 or a T 5? Work slowly w / Remi she needs to adjust to her surroundings but the UVB needs to be fixed first -- it needs to taken off the back wall and placed directly over her but I need to know what the bulb is and is there a reflector on the fixture
Karrie

The bulb is a T5. And I used heavy duty Velcro strips to mount the fixture inside the tank so none of the UVB rays wouldn’t be filtered out through the screen mesh top. I read somewhere on this forum that a mesh top filters out as much as 30% of the UVB rays and I didn’t want a Remi to lose out on that 30%.

As for the reflector, I’m not exactly sure which part that is. I bought the reptisun fixture that’s supposed to go along w the T5 bulb.

Do you think this still needs to be adjusted?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the fixture is good if its the Reptisun there should be a reflector on it -- its the shiny piece behind the bulb looks like tin foil -- your good on that part I would get it tho so its shining directly downward -- you dont want the UVB rays shining in his eyes -- I would move it so its above him 12-15 inches above his basking decor piece -- do that and let me know what his behavior does
Karrie

rytoledo

Original Poster
Should I mount it on the inside of the mesh or just place the entire fixture on the top of the mesh?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If its fine mesh I would put it inside the tank if its a wide hole screen like the size of a dime etc it can go on top -- fine mesh would be like a screen door -- you can hang it w/ these
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- shoe laces -- fishing line -- potted plant hanger wires --
Karrie

rytoledo

Original Poster
UPDATE: I moved the UVB bulb inside the screen top and fastened it with zip ties for the time being(a top-opening tank can be such a hassle). This seemed to work.

Remi is now occasionally eating bsfl from my hand. She still won’t bother with greens or veggies, but I’m happy she’s eating anything.

Also, I bought more hornworms to trial with and she ATTACKED those in an instant. I even wrapped bok choy leaves around one like a burrito and she ate that too. And her poop is back to normal.

I’ve also been taking her measurements weekly and she’s already grown almost a full inch in a little over 2 weeks!

Karrie, thank you for the advise!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
:) Glad to hear she is eating better ---- she should start eating more now and more consistent-- take your BSFL and add them to the salad in front of her - the movement will get her attention to the food bowl -- you can do that w/ your horn worms as well - just make sure your using a glass dish or a ceramic dish so the worms cant get out - supers work good too like 1-3 worms ---
Karrie

rytoledo

Original Poster
I’ve have been doing that daily and the most she’s eating is a couple of nibbles of greens. I’ll continue to offer and also to the bait-and-switch with horn worms and greens.

rytoledo

Original Poster
Just a little update on Remi.

I think the relocation stress has past but she’s still somewhat skiddish around me when I try to pick her up.

But eating wise, She’s devouring 10-15 dubias per sitting (2 times a day) and now she’s starting to eat rolled up dandelion greens that I drop in front of her. Shes eating these greens daily and eats the occasional blueberry. Although she won’t eat any other veggies I’ve offered (green beans, sweet potato, bell pepper, zucchini, butternut squash). She has no problem eating dubias tho.

I’ve been monitoring her length and weight each week as well. Last week (8/10) she was 10.5 inches long and about 65g. Today (8/17) she’s almost 12 inches long and around 82g. She’s pooping normally and it’s not runny at all.

I think I found my groove with her. Now to just get her more comfortable with me holding her without trying to run away.

Thank you guys for the advice! I wholeheartedly appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom