Losing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
So, my girl is in what I assume is a light brumation phase. She's been dozing in her hide since late Sunday but she's been awake for the most part. But she hasn't come out to eat either. I made her a nice big salad this morning and came home to it untouched. I reached in to check on her and lightly stroke her head, and her fat pads where super squishy, like they were deflating. I know it's common for them to lose weight when they're brumating (obviously, if they're not eating), but how much is too much? When should I start to worry?

It's normal for them to not eat and lose weight during brumation, but I won't pretend to be an expert or anything... wait for someone with more experience to add their input before doing anything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to get her out and weigh her to find out how much weight she is losing--- you need to hydrate her either by bathing if she will drink water in the bath or drop water on her nose or by syringe -- if you give by syringe do it very slow---------- you dont want her to aspirate - give it to her slowly and let her swallow it before you give more--- what are you using for lighting in the tank ? UVB brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank is it and how old is it??????????? NO coils they are inadaquate!! Basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie/ adult -- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
If you need a vet here is a website to find one in your area www.arav.org
How old is the dragon? Yes they do lose weight when in brumation but a little not a lot -- that is normal but if she is losing a lot something else is going on
When was the last time she ate?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Keep in mind that you may be over thinking rather than really feeling a difference when you touch her head. Can you post a few pics of her ? Adult healthy dragons don't lose weight in a week usually , or not to the extent that it would affect the pads on the head.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey guys, I kinda coaxed her out of her hide last night by leaving the lid lifted. The light and the sight of her food eventually lured her out and she ate a little off her salad and the two superworms I offered her. Also, Karrie, I was well aware of the dropper method of giving them water and did so. She drank a little. She usually only drinks in the bath though so she'll get one either tonight when I get home from work or tomorrow. She slept under her heat emitter like normal and today, since I was out of superworms I gave her some moist food and she ate a bit more of her salad. She seems to be back to normal for now but if she goes back into her hide again I'll make sure I weigh her. Like AHBD said, I'm probably overthinking things because I am a bit paranoid when it comes to my beloved pets. They literally mean everything to me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok are you feeding any staple feeders like crickets dubia or silk worms?
Karrie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3091u0e8 said:
Ok are you feeding any staple feeders like crickets dubia or silk worms?
Karrie
She wont eat live crickets and Dubias and Silkworms are stupid expensive unless you can breed them, which I cant right now because of my living situation. I've done frozen-thawed crickets before and she seems to take them just fine.

I would try to get a better staple than frozen-thawed crickets. Dubia roaches and silkworms are a bit expensive, yes, but isn't it worth it to have really healthy pets? It's not ridiculously hard to breed dubia roaches, as I am doing it myself right now. You simply need to buy either a starter colony, some adult males and females, or a mix of regular feeder dubia roaches if you can wait longer. Then, keep the temperature right, and the humidity right.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Everything sounds like normal behavior so far. Can you post a pic of her head from the side and also a full body shot ? And yeah, it's easy to worry because these derps don't do everything according to OUR specifications. :lol:

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SavannahDragons":28prfvwc said:
I would try to get a better staple than frozen-thawed crickets. Dubia roaches and silkworms are a bit expensive, yes, but isn't it worth it to have really healthy pets? It's not ridiculously hard to breed dubia roaches, as I am doing it myself right now. You simply need to buy either a starter colony, some adult males and females, or a mix of regular feeder dubia roaches if you can wait longer. Then, keep the temperature right, and the humidity right.
As I already stated, I'm not in a situation where I can breed them right now. Believe me, I've done my research and I fully intend on breeding better feeders when my boyfriend and I get our own place, but right now I'm lucky to even be able to keep my Beardie. I'm doing the best I can for her given circumstances, so dont try to belittle me please.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":3cxet0t0 said:
Everything sounds like normal behavior so far. Can you post a pic of her head from the side and also a full body shot ? And yeah, it's easy to worry because these derps don't do everything according to OUR specifications. :lol:
They really are little sh*ts sometimes, aren't they? I'll take some pictures when I get home from work, provided she's still out and about. She was on her basking hammock when I left so hopefully she'll be good. Lol

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here are some pictures. She's up on her tree so I apologize if they're not the best pictures, but there's a full-body and then a closer shot of her head
108046-9539523487.jpg
108046-3381669489.jpg

SarahGekkou":3ve9f3ca said:
SavannahDragons":3ve9f3ca said:
As I already stated, I'm not in a situation where I can breed them right now. Believe me, I've done my research and I fully intend on breeding better feeders when my boyfriend and I get our own place, but right now I'm lucky to even be able to keep my Beardie. I'm doing the best I can for her given circumstances, so dont try to belittle me please.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I was belittling you; I assure you I wasn't. Believe me, I have been in your situation before. I'm just trying to help your little beards. :D If it's something you can do without much trouble, though, I would try to get her some live insects. Maybe not only live, if that's not something you can do, but some. She looks really healthy; like my own Lizzie, except more girlish. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom