Egg bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondie73

My daughter had to make a trip to the vet today with our almost 9 year old beardie, Izzy. She was egg bound. This is the first time this has happened to us so we need to make some changes according to the vet. She was also underweight. Can someone who is an expert, which I'm not, give me ideas on how to help her gain weight and how to help prevent becoming egg bound?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about Izzy. Was the vet a true reptile vet and how did they determine her condition and what did they do for Izzy ? Do you have an xray to post by chance ? Being truly eggbound is usually critical and sometimes the vet will give a shot of Oxytocin. They should also have given you liquid calcium. Is she eating well on her own ? If so, give her several meals per day of what she likes, using calcium powder on the food. Another important question, what type of lights do you have ? Post pics of Izzy + her set up, here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

blondie73

Original Poster
Yes she was a true reptile vet. They were able to determine her condition by xray. She was able to get the eggs out. She gave her an antibiotic shot that we will continue to give at home. No liquid calcium. Yes she usually does eat well on her own, but apparently we need to change up her diet a little to help her gain weight. We use mercury vapor bulbs for our 2 beardies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How did they get the eggs out, was a shot given to induce the laying ? Did you see the eggs and how many were there ? Remember to just feed her multiple times a day to help her gain and please post pics if you can.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So your girl was able to lay her eggs then, without any trouble?
How often do you give her calcium?
Which brand of mercury vapor bulb do you use?
Some pictures would be great, especially since she is 9 years old!
I hope she is doing well.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom