Charlie the Library Lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the encouragement! He is a wonderful little guy. Since I had help the other day we took measurements. From top of his nose to the base of his tail, he is 7”, and his tail is 9”. I also measured across his head and that was 2.5”. I figured any growth at this point might be small so it’s easier to measure than to guess.

I don’t think he ever ate any of the walnut sand, but harboring bacteria and moisture was more than enough reason to get rid of it. He got an extra treat when I cleaned it out, I found two super worms hiding in the sand.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The excavator substrate came today! I am honestly surprised by how quickly 20 pounds of it disappeared. I was only able to build up two corners of the tank, but really, they were the parts I wanted to do the most.
108942-1220657034.jpg
The warm side of the tank still has the plastic cup in it that I'm hoping will mold the beginning of an overhang. I wanted to make it a full tunnel but ran out of substrate. The cool side has a built in hide. I made support columns and hid them in the excavator. The cork piece sits on top of them as a perch and as a roof for his hide. It can easily be lifted off if needed.

The light hood came today, but not the light. :roll: At least the maintenance man can build me a new lid with the hood on hand. I think Charlie will be so happy when it's all said and done. His basking area is hovering around 92 F today and the cool side of the tank at 80 F with 40% humidity.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You want to get your basking temp up to 95-110- we dont want undigested food --- and the UVB will need to be a certain distance for him - the fixture you got for Charlie is how long and what is the bulb you got ? The T 5?
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Scratch that, the warm side is 98.8 F right now. The new bulb is 36". It was the shortest I could get but I think with the option of his hide, he'll be okay. I can raise or lower his hammock as needed to get him to the right spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB is going inside the tank correct and how long is the tank? Inches?
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The hood will sit on top, I can't see any way to mount it inside. The tank is 48 inches.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so what is on the top? Screen? Can you post a pic of it? You will need a wider holed screen to go on top fine screen will not work it will block the UVB Ray's
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The top is not ready yet but there will be a wire grid that has 1/4 - 1/2 openings. We have the material on hand and it's sturdy so that is what we planned to use all along.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good and your basking temp. is perfect ! Nice that the maintenance guy is on board with the project. And wait until Charlie discovers the joys of digging up some of the clay and flinging it around the tank. :lol:

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I ended up having to change the design of the tank. Charlie would rather sit on his piece of cork tree at 80 F than on his hammock at 95 F. So I made a different hide with a second hammock over the top along with more of the clay. He's now making a sport of jumping from one hammock to the next, a gap of about 6 inches. He's having a ball. I can't wait to get the bigger UV lamp in, life is going to be great for my little dude.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
gwi11iams":7aqmtl6d said:
Charlie the Library Lizard is the coolest!
Thank you! He is super cool. I love spending time with him. Even on stressful days I have a reason to relax and smile.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The new bulb came (finally!) for the hood fixture but it won't turn on. Do these bulbs make noise like an incandescent bulb when they are burnt out? I'm just a tad frustrated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure I have never had one burn out--- call the place you got it and have them send another one ASAP
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1exsw5w0 said:
I am not sure I have never had one burn out--- call the place you got it and have them send another one ASAP

That's what we are going to have to do. I asked at the local store and she doesn't carry the size we need. Hopefully we won't have to wait another 2 weeks. Thank goodness its nice enough for Charlie to get his UV outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom