Brumation or Constipated?? Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz24

Hello! I’ve had my beardie since February so I’m still trying to learn more things. He’s 2.5 right now and he hasn’t pooped for about a week. He hasn’t been really eating either. His diet consist of a couple superworms a day and mustard greens and collard greens and romaine daily. He gets blueberries once a week as well. His basking side is 105F. He does have the UV light. His substrate is paper towels. He’s been lazy as well. I took him to the vet not too long ago and he did have parasites and was treated for them and his last test showed no signs of parasites. So idk what’s wrong or if he’s in early Brumation. Please help!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of the tank and lighting so we can see what possible issues going on here
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
You need a good staple feeder like crickets dubia roaches or silk worms --- super worms are not a good staple feeder -- if you need websites for insects / worms please ask I will post -- but we need to see what the possible issue is
Karrie

Buzz24

Original Poster
108985-5939878235.jpg
I know his tank doesn’t have enough stuff in it. His log caused a cut on his nose. He had it when I bought him and the vet said that would be the reason of running into it. Also when I bought him in Feb he was active so he wasn’t in Brumation around that time. And please if you could send the list of insects! His tank was also cleaned out due to the parasites

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb and is it a coil? Please take a pic of it and post --- the basking temps need to be 95-110 for a adult dragon -- I would get him another piece of decor like this to offer different gradient heat https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece is great for offering that and you can set it different ways in the tank -- next you need to get another fecal in to see if the parasites are gone and if they are get your decor back in there -- you can use a textured NON adhesive shelf liner from home depot -- its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- the basking temp needs to sit on the place where he sits for basking to get a accurate temp --- 10 minutes then get the temp -- how big is the tank ? We need to get your lighting and basking temps corrected to keep the parasites away -- I will post websites for you but we need to get this UVB thing figured out
Karrie

Buzz24

Original Poster
108985-8255009954.jpg
108985-1039639339.jpg
The top is the UV one and the box for the heating one. The heating bulb is right above the log in his tank. He usually goes on top of the log. He’s been hiding lately though

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that is the problem ---- get rid of both of those ---- I would look at getting a bigger 40 gallon tank we recommend a tank that is 75-120 gallon w/ front doors --- you can look on FB marketplace and craigslist if you find one there make sure its sanitized really good w/ Zoo Meds Wipe Out or some F 10 its a vet disinfectant and will kill anything in that tank -- its good to have on hand -- last a long time -- Next you need to get this I know its a 20 gallon but it will work I will help you get it set up till you get your large tank --- https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this fixture comes w / a 5.0 bulb use it for your 20 gallon it will be perfect for that now and I want you to get this bulb for the bigger tank
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html you need to get this NOW --- and you need to replace the blue bulb w/ this
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-basking-bulbs/1668-intense-basking-spot-75w-exo-terra.html the 75 should work for the 20 gallon its what I used for mine but make sure you have digital probe thermometer to get a accurate basking temp they look like this
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-basking-bulbs/1668-intense-basking-spot-75w-exo-terra.html you need this ASAP -- you can get these things at Petsmart or Petco the thermometer and the basking bulb --- the fixture your probably going to need to order it --
I would like for your to call this place and find out how long before it would be shipped out here is the # 916-226-4089 --- we can improvise on the UVB but the basking bulb and the probe therm we cant those you need to get as soon as you can ---
Karrie

Buzz24

Original Poster
Update!!! I bought the new lights and that definitely had to be the problem. It took him about two days but he came out from under his log and was moving around. He started eating really good! I was still worried about the pooping so I gave him some olive oil and today he pooped! And it was a healthy looking one so nothing wrong with it. I’m super happy!! And I’m looking into a new tank on offer up. Thank you so much KarrieRee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Glad to hear-- what did you get for lighting? Did you get the 24" and using the 5.0 bulb? What about the 10.0 did you order that too ? And did you get it from the place I linked? If you did how long did it take?
Also did you place UVB unobstructed 6-8 inches from basking? That is important
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom