Toltrazuril For pinworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilliy12

Hi!

My six inch long baby dragon that only eats from a syringe (got 2 1/2 weeks ago at five weeks old) was diagnosed with pinworms. A nice local reptile store owner looked for free for me, as the nearest reptile vet is two hours away. He said baby beardie has a low count of pinworms, and gave me 5% Toltrazuril to treat them. Does this medication treat pinworms? He is so small, I want to be sure to get the dose and medication right.

Thanks!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, they mean well but a low count of pinworms does not need to be treated, especially in a baby.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree, a low count of pinworms in their gut flora wont hurt him. Only if his
health is being affected is it a needed regime.
Though, toltrazuril is really an anti-coccidial medication.
Have you posted any pictures of your baby?

Tracie

Lilliy12

Original Poster
He has had issues eating almost immediately. He ate five crickets the day he arrived, and then stopped, got roaches four days later and he was excited to see them and ate six 1/4”, then stopped. We continue to put roaches in every day, and salad, but he never eats. We changed the cage by taking away the wall in the back, adding a different branch, and removing the screen so hopefully increasing uvb. He sits on the branch under the uvb a lot. He happily eats repashy dragon buffet in the morning from a syringe, but eats less later in the day. The temps are good. 105-109 on the hot side, and 82-85 on the cool side. Humidity is around 30-35 on warm side, and usually 40-50 on the cool side. I am wondering if maybe the uvb bulb isn’t strong. It came in the hood, and it says 10.0 T5 on it, but maybe since we have a new one as well we should change it out. His belly was huge from eating in the last picture I took. You can see the pictures here:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/3hibjk1zTB27FCwMVRV74g.NlB8cv0RxVKf_29xXGp-q0

He just is still nervous and doesn’t seem to be adjusting to the cage. My 20 year old daughter holds I’m to feed him, and takes him out a couple times a day to let him get to know her. I could always drive the two hours to have his poop checked by a vet. He isn’t very active, but we don’t see him all the time. He is upstairs in my daughter’s bedroom because it has an air conditioner and is easier to control the climate there. Any thought are appreciated! Have not moved him to a tub yet as Was one suggestion. We can buy a used melamine cage for very little. He was raised in one, so font know if that would help or not. It is actually bigger than what he is in now as it is 43 by 24 by 18, while he is currently in 36 by 28 by 18.I have ordered a scale so we can keep track of his weight. I wonder if I should order a uv meter as well. We thought he would be eating by now, since he arrived on July 15th!! Also, we use warm water and not boiling to make the repashy since we want it more runny and not gel- is this safe for him? I was scared when his belly got huge, but then he didn’t eat as much the next day and had a huge poop!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
At this point he is probably getting too much of the Repashy and has no motivation to eat. I'd stop that and wait for him to go after the insects. It will probably happen soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom