Feeder Costs - Not Comprehensive, Just Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
So I had some time on my hands and I was wondering how much our feeders really go for. Now - disclaimer - I did not intensively research every feeder, looking for the best deals. I went to about 3 websites for each feeder and took the average of what each feeder would cost individually, before shipping costs. When varieties of sizes were available, I listed the size I used to compare prices. Some feeders, such as silkworms, may come in "mixed size" batches, so I wasn't able to list a size - but in all cases, I tried to mentally "purchase" what I'd be buying to feed an adult beardie. I left out mealworms because I just didn't have enough time to continue my little experiment, not because I'm discouraging anyone from feeding them. :)

Not surprisingly, crickets came in as the most economical feeder. There is a HUGE difference between sellers, however, and between the species of crickets on offer (striped vs. brown crickets). In my opinion, however, they're also the most bothersome feeder... stinky, noisy, and short-lived. I thought hornworms would be the most expensive feeder, but that honorific goes to silkworms, with one seller offering 12 for $10. As always, the more you buy, the more you save.

You also save by raising your own, an option with silkworms and dubia roaches and, I think, hornworms - but for all the money it would definitely save me, I'm just not interested in becoming a bug farmer. It's all I can personally do to feed the things to gutload them for my dragon... and if I could buy them pre-gutloaded, I'd probably do that!

I did not look into the cost of buying at a local pet store, but from memory, everything is more expensive that way... I saw Petco selling 4 hornworms for $10 today, and even the crickets are vastly marked up from what you can get online.

So here's what I discovered, in terms of how much feeders are actually costing us. As always, and as a wise poster once advised me, YMMV. You can probably shave a few cents off by doing some intensive cost-comparison shopping, and by placing recurring orders.

Silkworms: .40 - 1.20 each
Dubia Roaches (3/4"): .24 - .38 each
Superworms (1-2"): .08 - .10 each
Crickets (3/4"): .01 - .10 each (wide variety between sellers)
Hornworms: .33 - .67 each
BSFL (large): .02 - .06 each

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cool idea to check out the costs per insect!

What would also be interesting is cost per gram. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you use an average weight for a bug :)
Then you'd really know whats the best bang for your buck! ha.

-Brandon

WinFam01

Juvie Member
It is interesting!
I've always done comparison shopping myself, so why not on bugs!

Uh, where are those .40 silkworms, is that if you do eggs? Every time I've tried looking at them they're crazy expensive, like .80-1.00 each. ?

Also, I found roaches for .16...you just have to buy a rather lot of them. If anyone wants to know where feel free to PM. Don't know what all the rules and such about that are.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":1e82k8mp said:
It is interesting!
I've always done comparison shopping myself, so why not on bugs!

Uh, where are those .40 silkworms, is that if you do eggs? Every time I've tried looking at them they're crazy expensive, like .80-1.00 each. ?

Also, I found roaches for .16...you just have to buy a rather lot of them. If anyone wants to know where feel free to PM. Don't know what all the rules and such about that are.

The silkworm prices were pre-hatched, not eggs; you save a lot if you hatch your own! And I’d love to see where you got such a dubia deal - you can post it openly, I think! :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup you can post it openly no problem :)

Dubia prices fluctuate a lot, even with the same breeder sometimes.

I picked up 500 3/4 for 65 bucks last week because I was lazy and didnt wanna sort through my colony lol.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom