Lighting Help for Newbies (:

JFR777

Could someone help me. I live in the lower mainland B.C. Canada. I got an exo terra 36'W X 18 ' D X 18' H tank. It was recommended by the breeder I'm getting a dragon from. He recommended a light and fixture from Arcadia which the online store was out of stock in. I called the store reptile's R US for teh guy to tell me I needed a completely different light. He also said that my tank was too deep. This was the only size i could find as I didn't want a small 40 gallon and lots of folks had recommended these ones. He's also telling me to put teh light on the screen due to the height of my tank. Anyone able to be a bit simpler in telling me what lights and bulbs to get for both UVB and basking lights? Thanks so much

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Your size tank is fine. Thats a 40g breeder, which is whats considered to be the minimum size you want for an adult. So that's all good.

You have a couple options as far as lighting goes.

Do you have reptisuns available to you in your area or online?
The arcadias are great bulbs too though. If you can find them, they are a great choice. You might have to check out a few website to find them though.

Now what you get, depends largely on your setup.

Do you need to mount your UVB above the mesh, or do you have room to mount it inside the tank? That is really the first thing you need to decide. Because there are multiple ways to do things, and multiple ways to get to the same end point.

I'd opt for the T5 and mounting it outside of the tank ontop of the mesh. Since the mesh can block out up to 30% or so of the UV output, you need your basking site to be slightly closer to it - around 8 inches. If there was no mesh blocking it, you'd need it to be 12 inches away from your basking site.

So that gives you plenty of room to create a basking site that your dragon can climb up onto to bask, and be 8 inches away from the UVB bulb.

If you were to mount that bulb inside of the tank, it would be very difficult to make sure your dragon is 12+ inches away from it.

So, I'd go with the reptisun 10.0 t5 HO, or the arcadia 12%. Use a fixture with a reflector on it, and mount it ontop of the screen. And then make sure your basking site gets within about 8 inches from the bulb.

Hope that helps.

-Brandon

JFR777

Claudiusx":54miqn0p said:
Hi there,

Your size tank is fine. Thats a 40g breeder, which is whats considered to be the minimum size you want for an adult. So that's all good.

The arcadias are great bulbs too though. If you can find them, they are a great choice. You might have to check out a few website to find them though.

Thank you! Super helpful Brandon!

Do you need to mount your UVB above the mesh, or do you have room to mount it inside the tank? That is really the first thing you need to decide. Because there are multiple ways to do things, and multiple ways to get to the same end point.

I'd opt for the T5 and mounting it outside of the tank ontop of the mesh. Since the mesh can block out up to 30% or so of the UV output, you need your basking site to be slightly closer to it - around 8 inches. If there was no mesh blocking it, you'd need it to be 12 inches away from your basking site.

So that gives you plenty of room to create a basking site that your dragon can climb up onto to bask, and be 8 inches away from the UVB bulb.

If you were to mount that bulb inside of the tank, it would be very difficult to make sure your dragon is 12+ inches away from it.

So, I'd go with the reptisun 10.0 t5 HO, or the arcadia 12%. Use a fixture with a reflector on it, and mount it ontop of the screen. And then make sure your basking site gets within about 8 inches from the bulb.

Hope that helps.

-Brandon

JFR777

JFR777":z4a2az6t said:
Claudiusx":z4a2az6t said:
Hi there,

Thank you! Super helpful Brandon!

Hope that helps.

-Brandon

So today my breeder who is helping me with getting set up before getting me my dragon met me at a pet store. We got all the supplements and calcium and a few terrarium pieces. He told me to buy a bracket and a 8.5 thrived dome lamp and a exo terra solar glo all in one bulb 80 wat. He says I should put it on my tank with no lid on the tank saying fhsf the mesh blocks a lot of the uvb. He says I can use this since the arcadia fixtures are in stock. Is this a good move? Thanks

Sunnydey

Hi! I'm definitely a newbie. We are picking up a rescue bearded dragon tomorrow. Her lighting is definitely insufficient in her current tiny cage. I ordered a Carolina Cages terrarium - 36Lx18Dx18H. I like the lighting that can be installed in that terrarium on the inside. I was looking at this combo:
Carolina Custom Cages Reptile 22" T5HO UVB + Single GU10 Basking Light Fixture;
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts;
Carolina Custom Cages 75w GU10 Halogen Reptile Basking Bulb.

Would that work on the inside or will it be too close to the bearded dragon on a basking spot with an 18"H terrarium? If not, is there any combo that would work with this terrarium to be installed on the inside? If not, what are my best options for lighting on the outside of the screen? Links would be great to options. I'm all new to the reptile/bearded dragon world. I have never dealt with lighting before, and I need to order something asap. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB needs to be 12-15 inches from the basking decor piece inside the tank - it can sit on top of the screen and the basking decor piece would need to be 8-10 inches directly under the UVB-- as far as the basking bulb it is trial and error w/ them -- if getting a baby you need basking temps to be 105-110- and for a juvie/ adult dragon 95-110-- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get accurate basking temps- it would need to sit on the basking decor piece for 10 minutes then get the temp--
Karrie

Hollyfm

I thought this was very helpful. Thank you! If you don’t mind, I have a couple questions...While working towards the right degrees in all areas, what wattage of bulbs should you use specifically for a 75 gallon tank? I updated my babes basking light to a 150 watt and I don’t know if I see much difference in heat? So now I’m wondering if I need a CHE lamp but what kind do I get? He has a mesh lid so do I place directly on top of that? My longer UVB light is on order as well as the infrared thermometer (dial thermometer and small dome UVB lamp is what was given to me originally) but I’m a little stressed the guy isn’t in his ideal environment at the moment.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking bulbs are trial and error I can tell you to start w/ a 100 watt bulb but you must have a digital probe thermometer- did you order a infrared heat gun? Or a probe thermometer? You can start w/ a 100 watt for a che I use a 100 watt on my 120 gallon but it's only used when temps in the tank are below 65 at nite so winter only- they keep my tank around 75 during winter months and I live in MN- but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer or and a infrared heat gun to get that temp--- what did you order for a UVB? Your temps in the tank should be 105-110 for basking - 90's in the middle of tank and 80's cool side during the day-- not below 65 at nite--- I will post tomorrow what I am using for a che- you will need a dome w/ a ceramic socket that will hold a 100 watt or better bulb--- you should only have 2 bulbs a basking and UVB -the che bulb will look like a solid coil but produces no light-- if you want to light up the cool side of tank you can use a 60 watt LED bulb it won't give off any heat
Karrie

Hollyfm

Thank you!!!! I did order the heat gun. The probe was a little intimidating! And I also ordered the reptisun UVB T5 bulb that was suggested on this page as well as the sunblaster T5 reflector. I’m sure I’ll be posting or searching to pics on how to attach!

And good to know on the CHE light. I did get a 100 watt one but the box said for 30-40 gallon tanks so I was worried. I live in Nebraska so will definitely need it in winter as well. I know you said to use a dome with a ceramic top, does it matter if it’s the flukers kind with a clamp and dimmable?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you need a deep dome w/ ceramic socket- I will post what I have-- no dimmable- I have a person on the forum that can help you w/ the UVB sunblasters fixture-- I think my dome is a flukers and mine sits in back on top of screen middle of tank--- the screen on your tank is a wide holed or fine screen? Asking for placement of UVB
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OK so fine screen its going to need to go into the tank -- fine screen cuts UVB rays out too much - 30% - so you need to have it approx 12-15 inches directly above his basking decor - you can hang w/ these
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers-- fishing line -- shoe laces
Karrie

Hollyfm

I was just looking up how to hang it so thanks for that! I also just received it in the mail! While I was researching how to hang this, I saw there was recent reflector issues?!? Just another thing to worry about!!! Lol!

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom