Charlie the Library Lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was leaning towards a stone type tile for the bottom of the tank, I'll have the maintenance man pick some up. Do you grout the tile? They wouldn't be removable but it would eliminate anything getting down under the tiles. The tank is 48" long, 12" wide and 18" tall. I had planned to sculpt some ledges and hides with the excavator, I'll make sure to create a basking spot -- usually his hammock and cork wood combined -- at the right distance from his lights.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The thing about permanent basking spots if you haft to move them you cant --- and you dont want that - a piece of decor that offers a gradient heat is best -- something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece can be laid in the tank different ways and offers gradient heat spots that way he can pick a spot to bask -- tiles is good I have them in my tanks and they are not grouted and you dont want something too course so it scrapes his belly -- something w/ texture but a smooth texture like this
97951-666388767.jpg
this came from Home Depot cost me $13 to tile a 4x2x2 tank -- my tile has a thick paper towel underneath its a shop towel from Walmart - they catch the watery urate and protect the bottom of the tank and easy to clean up-- I clean the tiles w/ a vinegar/ water solution 50/50 -- takes away the smell and sanitizes as well -- I want to be able to remove the tile if I haft to so it is cut to the size of the tank and just laid in there
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
108942-5542372838.jpg
The first phase of updating Charlie's cage is complete. I had a friend come and spend some extra time with Charlie while I cleared out and cleaned the whole tank. I used vinegar water, as you suggested and then rinsed with clean water and finished off wiping the glass with newspaper. There is some stubborn, greasy residue on the tank, but I think it might need a special cleaner.

We actually had the ceramic tile and shop towels on hand, but we did have to figure out how to cut the tile. It's not perfect but it will do for now. I might invest in some nicer tile and have my father-in-law cut it to size on his wet saw at some point in the future.

I know change is hard for beardies and I just realized he is getting ready to shed on the top of his head. Poor guy will be all out of sorts! To ease the transition, I put all the basic pieces back in roughly their original placement. I did cut down on a few rocks since I won't have room for them with the excavator.

And we were able to find an incandescent to get us through until the new heat bulbs come. I know it isn't ideal, but you've mentioned getting the red one replaced enough times that I figured it will do in a pinch.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Where are the thermometers??? You need to get a temp of his basking spot--- he will not be able to digest his food w/ out proper temps--- you need a digital probe thermometer ASAP-- what wattage of bulb do you have in there now? And what wattage did you order? It is going to be trial and error w/ bulbs -- you do not want to burn him up-- the tank looks better and you might look at taking some of the decor pieces out -- they do need floor space and it looks like a lot of floor space is gone -- Charlie needs a hide -- what is that big black box thing sitting at the end of the tank?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like the look of the enclosure. The top is very clever with the chain to hold the light fixture in place while you open it.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":oghxmw03 said:
I like the look of the enclosure. The top is very clever with the chain to hold the light fixture in place while you open it.
We had to do that because I kept lifting the lid and making the thing fall. I broke two bulbs because I couldn't learn. We also had to engineer the lid to make it safe for kids to be around. I didn't want anyone to grab a cord and pull the lamp down on themselves.

I have a small digital thermometer with a probe that hangs down by the top of his cork wood. It's reading 86.5 F now. The bulb we put in is 150 watts, is that okay? The tank is still warming as I cleaned it and only got it all set up about an hour ago. I took out one of the rocks in the picture. I left his black rock because he likes to rub on it to help with his shedding. The black object on the end of the tank is all I have right now for a water dish. I'm pretty sure it's just a a hide that was bought when he was tiny. The previous owner used it as his food bowl. I rarely use it but I took his waterfall out and wanted him to have water to soak in this weekend if necessary. I put his plants back in because I was afraid to take away too many things he's used to. I plan to make space for them in the ledges I'll sculpt from the excavator substrate.

I do have a plan for a hide with the excavator, I just don't have it yet. I hate that I can't do everything for him today. I don't want him to be sick because I'm still learning what I'm doing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take that digital probe and put it where he sits for basking-- you need to get that basking temp - it needs to be 95-110 for basking --- the bulb needs to be bright white I think it is if its a incandescent bulb and its 150 watt? Is that light on in the picture that you posted it or is it off? I would downsize the water bowl - its too big --- does he drink from a bowl? Water falls are a no no in dragons tanks they are reptiles not amphibians :) --- it would drive the humidity up too high -- I would invest in a hygrometer as well --- put it on the back middle of wall in tank -- 86 is good for the cool side of the tank -- you want 3 different temps in the tank a basking spot of 95-110-- a middle of tank 90's and cools side 80's
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The temps have been the hardest thing for me to get right. I have adjusted the way his cork piece sits and it's now reading that his basking spot is 95.6 F. When we first got him in April, I had the worst time getting his tank up into the 80s let alone the 90s. I made him a quick hide out of a cardboard box. I think it will get him through the weekend. I removed the water bowl and both rocks. He seems to be okay, no glass surfing to tell me he's unhappy with all the changes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep basking temps and in the tank itself can be frustrating- the light in the pic is on or off
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It’s on. I have to leave it one to get any heat at all. The library has very high ceilings and it’s all open. The ambient temperature is low enough there is no other way to regulate Charlie’s tank. Someday I dream of a piece of furniture that his tank can be custom fitted into that will help insulate him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you do not want temps in the tank at nite over 80--- they like cool and dark it helps slow metabolism for better nite sleep-- in the lower to mid 70's--- but you haft to get your basking temps correct so he can digest his food and UVB will help him absorb his calcium- are you dusting his bugs w/ calcium D3? Vitamins w/ beta carotene too- I forgot how old Charlie was- so your basking bulbs are good that you ordered let's see what temps you get for basking you may haft to go to a 150 watt- what bulb did you get for the che?
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The CHE is a 100 watt I think. I’m really not sure how to keep his nighttime temperature from dipping into the 60s. I do dust his bugs and veggies with calcium D3 powder. I’ll have to buy the vitamins with beta carotene tomorrow at PetSmart. I am planning to get another thermometer for the cool side of the tank too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Sarah, that's a sweet story about getting Charlie as the library mascot. :) He looks the picture of health and not stunted at all. They don't all grow to be 24 " , as a matter of fact it's not that common. Around 19-22" seems to be the average size, some a little smaller, some a little bigger. He seems to be nice + calm too, so you got a good one ! It looks like you're getting his tank squared away. I personally never had a problem with sand [ over 25 years ] It's usually sickly dragons that ingest + have a problem with and especially if the temps. are too low for digestion. For an adult 100 is a perfect basking temp. Calcium type sand can be dangerous though because beardies may purposely eat it. Keep offering greens like turnip, mustard , collard + kale along with green beans, squash + blueberries. He'll eventually like at least some of it. It is a good idea too take him home for the winter so that'll be a good move. Hope to hear more stories of the adventures of Charlie in the future !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom