Baby Beardie Not Eating Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok just keep offering his food- as long as he is eating basking pooping and drinking he should be fine-- keep working w/ him a little at a time-- hands in his tank as much as possible try hand feeding him-- he will get used to you and he needs to learn to trust- that will help w/ the appetite
Karrie

MakinBlakinPancakes

Original Poster
I made adjustments, got new decor and the new T5 12% Arcadia light and fixture in. I mounted it inside and have it set up like this. His carpet is due for a cleaning but I’m really trying to not take him out until he’s less stressed. I’ve been giving him soaks every other day just to make sure he’s staying hydrated since he doesn’t seem to be drinking/eating enough on his own to stay hydrated.
108916-6807070249.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your set up looks good --- how far is the T 5 from the decor piece?? You dont want it too close to him 12-15 inches is good --- give him some time to get his adjustments made -- as long as hes eating something his appetite should be pick up -- I would give him water by syringe if you haft to -- is he eating greens? If he is make sure they are moist when serving them - rinse them before serving -- he will get moisture thru them also watch his poops -- if the are firm moist and dark and the white urate is formed moist and white he hydrated -- you dont want them chalky looking or dried out looking -- keep me posted
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup looks good now, that should help out quite a bit for him!
How is he doing today?
As suggested, you can try dripping water onto his little snout to see if he will start to drink
anything on his own. Usually you can train them to drink in that fashion, over time.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

MakinBlakinPancakes

Original Poster
He’s still not eating a ton. Yesterday he had 2 bugs. He hates when anything gets put on his snout, when I drip water on it he runs away and hides. So I’ve been soaking him to keep him hydrated. Still not eating greens, barely any bugs, I’ve had him for a month now and still no shed. His poops are normal and moist when fresh. I’m still worried about him. He sits in his basking spot all day and keeps alternating opening one eye, then the other almost like he’s napping.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep your insects hydrated that will help w/ his hydration -- keep feeding and offering food sometimes it does take awhile -- as long as hes eating some basking and pooping he should come around -- work w/ him try hand feeding him - what are you feeding him -- I would get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com you will need a glass or ceramic bowl and order large do not dust and feed as many as you want -- try some of those by hand feeding first thing in the morning add them to the top of his salads that will get him to the bowl -- rinse your greens before serving and that will also give hydration for him
Karrie

MakinBlakinPancakes

Original Poster
I give the insects his salad since he doesn’t eat it. I have BSFL and Dubias. He rarely (if ever) touches the BSFL. The roaches he will eat one if I grab it and drop it right in front of him on his basking spot and hope it doesn’t fall off or run away. But then he won’t eat another one. I keep a dish in there that the BSFL can’t climb out of and they are in there all the time with salad. I don’t put too many to count in it since I want to be able to tell if he ate any, they go untouched. If I put bugs or worms in my hand he runs away and turns dark.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Maybe if you try feeding him in another container a small tote see if he will chase them in there to see if he will eat more -- you can try that
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so some of them wont and some will --- keep offering him food - as long as hes eating something -- are you keeping him hydrated? How are you giving him water --- spraying or dropping water on his nose would be best -- I think bathing him would stress him out too bad -- keep working w/ him -- have you tried offering a BSFL from your fingers?
Karrie

MakinBlakinPancakes

Original Poster
He won’t eat anything from my fingers. I hydrate him by misting him a couple times a day and then I soak him every 3rd day to make sure he stays hydrated. He doesn’t seem to mind the warm bath at all, I do it in his tank as the tub I soak him in is small enough to fit in there. He usually drinks a ton when I put him in the bath, then he does a few laps and wants out. I keep it in his tank to try and reduce stress so I pick him up for about 2 seconds and plop him in the tub and then reverse.

He apparently ate some cilantro today. I put a couple leaves in front of him on his basking spot and they were gone when I checked on it a few hours later. Our current but count that I’ve seen today is at 4.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How cute he does laps :lol: -- well at least hes eating --- you want him hand tamed so keep it up- offer him greens and see if he will take that out of your hand -- once he has trust in you he should start eating more --- I worked w/ Blaze every morning --- offering hand fed first then adding his worms to his salad in front of him - he got to where he was waiting for me to bring the breakfast bowl in -- he would sit towards the front of his tank on his basking decor piece and eventually he would come to the bowl as I was adding the worms to the salad --- it took a bit but eventually he was there
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really good to hear he will soak & swim around a little & that you have a little tub
in his tank. You take it out when it isn't in use, right?
Youngsters can drown easily so it's best to remove something like that.
As Karrie suggests, keep working with him on his eating. Eventually you will find something
that works. At that age, they can be very difficult!

Tracie

MakinBlakinPancakes

Original Poster
So we have made some progress over the last 2 days. Yesterday he ate more bugs than I’ve ever seen him eat (end more due to the BSFL disappearing when I wasn’t keeping an eye on him). Today after he woke up and was basking for about 2.5 hours he ran to the dish with dubias in it and ate 3 of them. He also ate some cilantro that I put in front of him. He ate another 3 roaches that I dropped on his basking decor (one tried to run away and he chased it down). He seems to get uneasy when I’m trying to get roaches to go in front of him by poking them with the tongs so he only eats this way when he’s looking away from me. I misted him this morning and he didn’t lick the water off which I’ve been told that that means he’s hydrated and doesn’t need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom