Tong feeding help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al6911

I made a post a few weeks back about how Dovah would only eat his proteins with tongs. This is still true. He will pick at his veggies if you don't tong feed them. Well, work has changed, and I simply don't have time to tong feed him. I really need help breaking this habit. Please, this has caused me so muh stress, I have returned to debating re-homing him. I'm worried that he isn't as healthy as he could be because of this issue. His droppings look normal, and he has a decent weight. I guess I could sprinkle the bug gel (aka the only protein I can get him to eat) powder on his greens and whatnot, but I'm not sure.
I want the best for my little guy. His breeder won't return my emails.

If re-homing is the best for him, I am willing to do so, but I will miss him very much. I do love him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you place the food on his floor of his tank will he eat it off the floor? What are you using for a substrate? Mine will eat off the tile as well as the tong and my hand --- but they also eat out of the bowl --- I did all of those when they were babies so -- not sure how to re train ---
Karrie

Al6911

Original Poster
He doesn't like to eat off of the tile (that's what he has all over his cage) unless he drops something

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe try some different sizes/shapes of dish to feed from. Maybe a clear sided dish that would show movement through it would work.

CutieDragon

Since he is a good size and weight maybe you can wait him out? Don't tong feed at all and he will eventually get hungry enough to go after the food himself? I notice when my guy isn't as hungry he gets pretty lazy and wants to be tong fed, but when he is hungry he will run across a cage to chase food. I am currently pet sitting an extra dragon that came very undernourished and not well cared for and he would not eat (he was previously only fed wax worms and lettuce). It took about a week and a couple of soaks in 50/50 pedialyte/water to get him to eat what I offered (crickets). I am not sure if all dragons will eventually change feeding behavior if hungry enough or that was just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom