Heavy breathing after bath

Status
Not open for further replies.
My female bearded dragon is currently having a full head shed, she's 2 years old.
I gave her an incredibly shallow bath because she normally hates baths and today she kept sticking her head under the water while trying to scratch her head repeated times trying to get her shed off and as soon as I took her out she started breathing heavily a few times with her mouth open, as if she was gagging. Could she have accidentally inhaled too much water?? And if so what is the best thing I should/can do???
I've had bearded dragons for awhile but I haven't experienced this ever, I just hope she hasn't inhaled too much :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like she aspirated some water -- watch for a black beard - get her at a angle w/ her head downward so if she has it will drain out of her mouth -- put her at a incline and get her under her basking lamp -- watch her behavior -- I would spray her head the next and take a baby tooth brush and brush her head gently to loosen the shed
Karrie

Anonydragoj

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1jl0h2mb said:
Sounds like she aspirated some water -- watch for a black beard - get her at a angle w/ her head downward so if she has it will drain out of her mouth -- put her at a incline and get her under her basking lamp -- watch her behavior -- I would spray her head the next and take a baby tooth brush and brush her head gently to loosen the shed
Karrie
Ahhh okay thank you!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Why did you bath him ?

Keep him warm overnight and if possible after he goes to sleep position him so his bottom is higher than his nose , this way
the inclined position will help any aspirated water drain out while he's asleep
the warmth will help dry his lungs out .

Stay on top of this as they can very quickly develop a life threatening respiratory infection in situations like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom