Dubia Size for Less Than 2 Month Beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponky

Hello all!

First post in the forums aside from my introduction, and based on all of the advice I've located skimming through the different topics I'm hoping to find more for a question I have :D

My beardy Abernathy was born on 5/10, so a little over a month, closer to 2 months old.
I've been feeding him 1/4" dubias and he's eaten them up like crazy!
I went to a local reptile pet store as I'm running low, and they only had 1/2" dubias.
I bought some to hold us over, but now I'm not sure if they're too large.

full

Normal Dubias

full

1/2" Dubias

full

Current Size (About 8")

full

Between Eyes (Kept On Moving!)

I gave him 1 and he ate it in about 10-11 chews, whereas with the 1/4" he usually gobbles them up in 3-4 chews.
I was hesitant to give him anymore, so I stuck with the 1/4" I have left and some BSFL.

My main concern is impaction, so I'm going to make sure he has his usual bowel movements, but I wanted to get some outside perspective.

Thank you in advance!

full

Favorite photo so far to end the post :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Pick out the smaller ones and feed him those --- feed the BSFL too -- here is a website to get dubias
www.dubiaroaches.com
Make sure your feeding him salads too --- you may need to take your BSFL and put on top to get him to the salad bowl -- looks like hes in the bowl eating --- I would suggest other worms but hes too little to eat supers unless you can get smalls and I only know of one website that sells smalls --
www.reptileplus.com butter worms would be good but everyone is out of stock on those
you can get him some small silk worms
www.reptilianarts.com order in bulk like 50 they come small and make sure you order food as you will need to feed them daily and clean containers -- they are another good staple feeder
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Cute lil guy!
Interesting the store was out of smalls but had mediums.. seems like everywhere online it's opposite. ?

Ponky

Original Poster
@KarrieRee, thank you for the advice. He's now grown enough within the last couple weeks to eat the larger of the remaining roaches, so we're both happy :)

@MariosDad, thank you! I'm a worry-wart, so outside opinion that he looks happy makes me relax a bit :lol:

@WinFam01, thank you! I agree, it was pretty strange. It's definitely been a struggle to find mediums now that the 1/4" seem so small. Even local stores seem to sell out within a day. Lots of hungry beardies out there! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your better off ordering them on line- if you need websites just ask I can post some for you
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom