A little bit of blood on syringe after taking meds :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

alb0w

I have an almost two-year-old male beardie named Peapod. My poor baby has a nasty case of pinworm that just won't go away. He is now on his second round of medications for it, and is normally a champion when taking his meds via syringe. So far with his second round of medication, however, he has been fighting me on it. I hate nothing more than having to wrestle the poor little guy down and force a syringe into his mouth. Today, after giving him his second dose of medications, the syringe came back with a tiny bit of blood on it. Should I be worried about him getting an infection, or should he be okay and will just heal naturally? He doesn't seem too perturbed by it and is still his sassy little self. He has one more dose of medication for now, then doesn't have to take any for roughly 2 weeks.
Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, poor Peapod is getting tired of the meds. How long is each course ? Was he re-checked after the first round and still had a lot of worms ? Has he been sickly since he was diagnosed with worms or eating + acting as usual ? You can inject the meds. in to a juicy worm and then feed the worm to him. You do need to be careful of breaking his teeth, an infection can develop but most likely won't.

alb0w

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for the response. :) He was indeed re-checked and still had a high pinworm count sadly. :( He has been behaving as usual but has only been eating about once a week. He is occasionally a bit lethargic but that is very rare. He's a very active beardie overall. This course of meds started with 3 days of strongid-t pyrantel pamoate (he is on day 3 today), then 3 more daily doses of that in 3 weeks. He also took a dose of 100mg panacur on his first day, and will be taking his second dose in a little less than 2 weeks.

alb0w

Original Poster
I am so sorry for the late reply - I don't know how this slipped my mind. He had stopped eating prior to taking the medications and eats probably every 7-10 days currently. His final 3 doses of meds are next week Tues-Thurs. He is currently in a 40 gallon tank with a 150 Watt basking bulb. The hot side of his tank is around 110 degrees. Humidity is at 40 right now. He also has a UVB bulb that is 13W. Here are some pictures of him and his tank. I use tile for his substrate. I soak him to keep him hydrated. He hasn't been eating his greens, which are normally a mix of bok choy, alfalfa sprouts, and strawberries, and occasionally peaches. I try to give him mustard greens sometimes but he is not a fan. He has only eaten giant meal worms, crickets, and horn worms recently. I am trying to give him as many horn worms as he will eat since they are calcium rich. Sadly I can tell he has lost weight due to this nasty pinworm. :(
108023-2431297.jpg
108023-5489732083.jpg
108023-8051137943.jpg
I included the t-shirt picture because I think he looks silly :) overall, he has still been fairly active, which is good. He is occasionally lethargic, but it is easy to get him moving once he gets up and walks a bit.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks thin but healthy and he is rocking that tee ! Cute pic. :) So you need to get the bbasking temp. down to 100 and you'll need a long tube Reptisun 10.0 bulb for uvb. The coil and compact bulbs aren't strong enough .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom