New Beardie owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayHarm

Hey guys I’m new to the site. I bought a baby beardie almost a week ago. He’s maybe 1-2 months old. This is my first time owning/caring for a dragon. From what I’ve been reading it is a commitment, but I am sooo looking forward to watching him grow and be able to have him hang out and climb all over me lol. When I first brought him home he ate about 6 of the dubia roaches I bought. I’ve been trying to feed him but he doesn’t seem to have too big of an appetite. I bought some crickets because I figured he likes the chase and wants to go after them. Ate about 10 of them so I was happy. But he didn’t eat all day yesterday and ate a few roaches today and 2 crickets. From what I can see and have been reading he seems healthy. But I’ve noticed he’s kind of lazy. He used to run when I tried to pick him up but he’s a lot more relaxed now. Doesn’t run when I have him in my hand, actually closes both his eyes and naps. I’m just getting nervous about his eating habits. Anybody have any tips for a newbie owner. I know this was a lot but all help is welcomed. Thanks in advanced guys

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
welcome to the forum ---
Its relocation stress --- his eating will be slow but should not quit eating all together-- please post pics of him and his tank and lighting so we can see if you may have future issues w/ the tank and lighting-- what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate - what size tank is he in?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

JayHarm

Original Poster
108846-5640537841.jpg
108846-179907466.jpg

This is how I currently have the tank set up. It’s a 20gal. His basking area is usually between 100-105 cool side is about 80 degrees. I have 2 digital thermometers one on each end of the tank. I’ve been handling him once a day since I’ve gotten him. A lot more relaxed now as opposed to the first day. I put a little collard and mustard Greens in a dish as well to see if he will start eating them. Hasn’t touched them as I thought

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah your gonna haft to get him some BSFL also known as nutri grubs phoenix worms or calci worms to get him to that salad bowl -- but first we need to talk about UVB --- what is in those domes? Brand and bulb of the UVB ---- NO coils ----- basking temps should be 105-110-- for him / her-- we are gonna talk about feeding here but I want to the the lighting mainly your UVB figured out
Karrie

JayHarm

Original Poster
I have the zoomed reptibasking sunlight 100w and also a ceramic 100w bulb I use mainly at night or to get the temps up on the basking side. The uvb bulb is zoomed 10uvb bulb. Came with the starter kit I bought when I first got him. I’m just using “him” for now. I’ve read later on I can determine sex. I’ve been looking into a uvb light strip trying to see which one would be best.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The CHE you do not need unless that tank is dropping below 65 at nite -- they like cool and dark to sleep---------------- the UVB is a coil? You need a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a 5.0 bulb for now then when you go to a bigger tank like 40 + I recommend bigger 75-120 then you can change out the bulb for a 10.0 T 5 --- you can take and put that UVB fixture width wise across that 20 gallon tank -- w no screen - you can set that up on one end of the tank - set your screen as far down on the end w/ the UVB fixture taking up the rest of the top -- if you order a Zoo Med fixture it will come w/ the 5.0 bulb use it on the 20 gallon it will be perfect for that size of a tank -- the 5.0 is not as strong as a 10.0 but for the 20 gallon you dont need it till you go to a bigger tank
Karrie

JayHarm

Original Poster
108846-64970181.jpg
Thanks a bunch for the speedy responses. Definitely appreciate the feedback! This is the uvb I’m using. It looks like a coil but I wasn’t too sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes and its a terrible UVB --- ditch it as soon as you can and get what I posted -- your dragon will thank you--- you will need to upgrade his tank really soon -- he will outgrow that tank in a few months-- I would look at getting a 75-120 gallon tank as soon as you can -- he will go right into it and you wont be spending money over and over -- you can try and find a tank on Craigslist or FB marketplace try and find one w/ front doors you will be happy you did -- if you find one on those sites make sure you sanitize it real good w/ either Zoo Meds Wipe Out or some F10 its a vet disinfectant -- now for feeding I want you to get him some BSFL here are some websites for worms and insects
www.dubiaroaches.com they are good and fast they have nice worms and roaches they are called nutri grubs here order large and feed as many as you want do not dust them - get some small super worms -- feed 1-3 on top of his salads first thing in the morning -- they are currently not shipping roaches --- they also have horn worms but I would suggest you hold off on those for now -- he wouldnt be able to eat them fast enough before they out grew him -- they are a hydrating worm but grow really fast -- NO meal worms they are too hard on a babies stomach -- so use the small super worms and the nutri grubs
Here are some more websites for worms these are silk worm sites
www.reptilianarts.com they have nice silk worms and super worms and roaches - the silk worms are currently out of stock keep checking - they are another great staple feeder when ordering in bulk they come small like 50 of them make sure you get food as you will haft to feed them and clean containers out daily - good to add to his salads
www.coastalsilkworms.com
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
www.joshsfrog.com I have never ordered from here but others on here have -
here is the nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

JayHarm

Original Poster
I was already starting to look into a bigger tank. Been doing a little research on bio active tanks. It seems like a really good system once you get everything set up. Do you have any suggestions on how to get him to eat consistently? Also for the nutrigrub are you saying specifically those I shouldn’t dust or all of the worms shouldn’t be dusted? Is there an ideal time schedule I should try and keep? I usually out the door at 615am and don’t get back home til about 630pm. I’ve been tending to him when I get home. I have the lights set up to turn on at 545am and turn off at 8pm. I’ve been leaving them on til 9 these past few days so I can physically see his behaviors before I go to bed myself

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He needs to be fed 3 times per day they say and as little as he is I would say so --- you need to feed him before you leave for work so that means you need to get him up and awake for at least one hr they recommend 2 before feeding - they will not eat if they are cold - so w/ that being said get the nutri grubs and super worms - add them to his salad in front of him - this will lure him to the bowl - you do not need to dust the worms - but you will need to dust the crickets w/ calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl one that insects and worms cant get out of - I recommend dubias roaches - leave your salad in that bowl on the cool side of the tank w/ the worms and insects in it - I usually recommend that just salad and worms go into the salad for an hr then add the staple feeder like your disabled crickets / roaches -- you will need to feed him again when you come home immediately they need at least 1-2 hrs of basking time before lights out ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so get the UVB changed out and post again when you have done that - your gonna need a distance of 6-8 inches w/ no screen in between for the 5.0 bulb
Karrie

JayHarm

Original Poster
I’m going to go out today and pick up fixture with a different bulb. Also I’ll remove the screen. I tried feeding him this morning but he doesn’t seem interested at all in food. I put the dubia roaches in his dish with some greens to give a mix, but very disinterested. I’ve been reading that uvb radiation is very important for their appetite so I’m hoping it’s just the bulb that’s the problem. I’m just getting nervous that he’ll start getting weak and stuff. I’m trying not to start panicking lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
See if the store sells phoenix worms or BSFL is what they call them --- remember he is going thru relocation stress but he should be eating something even if very little and he is really tiny so we want him eating something - and yes UVB does effect their appetite and they wont eat if they are not getting any UVB -- as little as he is he needs it --post here if your out and have some questions
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom