Hiding and alot of digging

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Watch his weight -- if hes not eating we dont want him losing weight -- if hes sustaining it that is good -- just keep an eye on his behavior keep offering him his food and go from there - as long as hes active and now basking and eating some he should be fine -- we just dont want him losing weight
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
Weighing him everyday. He did loose a little before he started to eat but he gained it back. I did get a calcium sand due to my normal substrate being put of stock. It had good reviews and is supposed to reduce risk of impaction. So maybe the new sand was just cool to him and he want to play. I have no idea.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Calcium sand is NOT digestible or safe for consumption by bearded dragons! You'd be wise to avoid it at all costs to ensure the utmost safety of your pet. On the flip side, play sand is a better sand option than calcium sand. I would get rid of this right away -- your better off w/ NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store --- its cheap and easy to clean and your insects cannot get underneath
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
Ugh go figure ? think it would be ok with a rosy boa? So a 3/4 bag doesn't go to waste. I only use a little substrate in Reds "room". Most is tile that is spot cleaned daily and cleaned weekly with a cleaner. I like to leave the substrate in the little spot for digging purposes so hes not just scratching at tile/glass. I will drive to the pet store in the city tomorrow and pick up some more aspen then.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No aspen -- get some play sand --- you can get that from your local home improvement store
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
So Red still on a weird hunger strike. He finally ate 3 dubia today. But I also got a new calcium d3 powder that is for picky eaters that has the strawberry with it. So far so good today. He finally ate after first try. Vet appointment is the 30th. Thats the earliest I could get him in anywhere and that one is 45min away. But they also help with the zoo animals nearby so I know its a good one. Red still mostly hiding and digging. Basking about 10 minutes at a time. Usually after we get him out and thats usually when we can get him to eat as well. Tried the electrolyte soak yesterday so fingers crossed that helps some. I finally got a order of butterworms as well on the way so maybe a new worm with help. Weight is still good. 4.4 oz. He seems to be perfectly fine other than the not eating hiding and digging. Very active when out. Doing the soaks to make sure he is getting hydrated. It has been 3 days since he pooped but he also hasn't ate anything until today this time. I'm waiting until after his vet appointment to put the clay tunnels in because I dont want to cause stress him being in a temporary tank until it is dry.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so NO ENEMAS at the vet--- what goes in will eventually come out--- at least you got him to eat something-- make sure you get copies if the vet visit- anything done you want copies- are you taking him outside? And he eats after being out? Red is 4.4 oz or hasn't lost weight?
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
He is 4.4 oz...he has not lost weight. We do take him outside at least twice a week, depending on weather.

Tia828

Original Poster
also due to covid crap they are not allowing people inside with their animals. That kind of worries me...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I agree- you tell them under no circumstances an enema is given! They will not be able to do bloodwork - he is too small- to be honest I think you should hold off on the vet visit-- it seems he is still settling in-- as long as he's eating something and basking and not losing weight I would hold off-- it's just gonna stress him out more-
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
We have had him since March. He was doing great, basking, eating me out of house and home lol, this behavior is all new. It has been going on almost a month now. Started acting weird July 1st. Ate/poop regular July 8th. Poop July 10th, Poop July 13th, ate 2 dubias July 15th, Ate 4 dubias and 2 superworms July 16th, Ate 1 dubia July 17th, Poop July 17th, Poop July 17th, Ate 3 dubias today July 22nd. No poop yet today. I have been keeping track. weight fluctuates between 4.4 and 4.3 oz. He is at 4.4 right now. His tank has been in the same spot since we got him in early March. Nothing has really changed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have another person the forum looking at your post - let's see what she thinks
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you're taking great care of him so I don't see that as a contributing factor. Red looks + acts [ for the most part ] like a happy dragon. He may or may not have a case of parasites, keep in mind that some dragons do not have a huge appetite all the time and they grow at different rates. So try not to worry too much, this does not sound serious and he seems healthy for the most part. It's good that you found an experienced vet, hopefully you can get a poo sample but if not don't worry too much. He weighs about 125 grams so that's not extremely small. :) Don't bathe him too often, that can stress some beardies.

Tia828

Original Poster
he likes his baths. we need to find a bigger tub for him lol . he likes to swim around. I was giving him a bath twice a month but went up to once a week when he started not acting right. that seems to be when he finally poops and eats.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh that's fine, once or twice a week good. Does his poo look the right size, meaning not too small as if he's not digesting his food properly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom