New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

erodred

Original Poster
So my update, he dove for the bowl this morning when I misted him for water, But it was empty. So my next plan was to go get peppers, blueberries and kale inside for him. I dusted it with some calcium /w D3. I dropped the salad in and he just stared at it. Then I added the worms and he went and started gobbling them up. The worms seem more interested in the salad than he is. I think he got a few licks of kale and pepper but that is it. But at least he knows that dish means food. I will leave the salad and whatever worms are residing inside for a couple hours to see if he will explore it I guess.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep hes learning --- get a variety of greens for him - most like kale and collard -- add some squash yellow or zucchini --- give him a variety -- you need to add some dubias or crickets in the afternoon - you will haft to disable the crickets by pulling a leg off so they are hobbling - that too will get him to that bowl just make sure you have some salad in there as well - you want him eating salad even if its not a lot --- his main diet is the protein but you want a varied diet - dust the crickets or dubias he needs the calcium and if hes not eating alot of BSFL hes not going to get enough
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
Yesterday he ate about 20 of the BSFL. I honestly lost count but I kept throwing them in the dish and he would just go and gobble them up periodically throughout the day. I am trying to train him that meals will come at breakfast and dinner time though because in a couple of weeks I will be back in the office for work. My fiance is not a fan of handling the worms. Might get some crickets then since she seems better at pulling their legs off.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I recommend dubias -- they are better nutrition wise and a lot easier to keep -- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium get some dubia food and carrots for hydration --- they will last a lot longer than crickets plus they dont stink and chirp --- if you need websites to order let me know I will post some for you - I order in large amounts like 200 at a time -- they will keep ---
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ewkoeiu said:
I recommend dubias -- they are better nutrition wise and a lot easier to keep -- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium get some dubia food and carrots for hydration --- they will last a lot longer than crickets plus they dont stink and chirp --- if you need websites to order let me know I will post some for you - I order in large amounts like 200 at a time -- they will keep ---
Karrie

Cant in Canada.

Crickets and BSFL is the best I can do I think. And I will be checking the local store for silk worms as well.

erodred

Original Poster
He is much more active now too that he has food. He is exploring his tank a lot more for me and is licking everything. Thanks for the help. I think I can finally sleep and not worry about him.

I took the worms out of his dish and moved the veggies to another dish on his cold side of the tank to prevent them from dying out so fast. And he actually ran to his cold side and was looking in the dish, possibly for more worms to eat. He had a go at a blueberry earlier because a worm was crawling in it but spat the berry out and chewed the worm. Eventually I think he will eat it. Just have to keep at it and for now eat the loss of some veggies getting spoiled as I purchase them.

Thanks again for the help. Will post if anything changes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try the worm lady in Canada -- Google her she has worms etc-- silk worms would be good as another staple -- I love it when they spit food out :) lol--- keep your worms in the bowl w/ the salad
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3pfz9t13 said:
Try the worm lady in Canada -- Google her she has worms etc-- silk worms would be good as another staple -- I love it when they spit food out :) lol--- keep your worms in the bowl w/ the salad
Karrie

The problem I face is the moist salad gives the worms traction to scale the bowl. Otherwise they are trapped. And the only exits they face is when I pick them out or when Toothless eats them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just use small amounts of salad in the bowl so they can't scale the bowl
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
So today I fed his worms in the bowl with a salad but he just ignored the salad and at the worms. For lunch I decided to just throw in some blueberries to see what he would do. And he actually went down and nibbled on the blueberries and licked them. He didn't eat them all, but I think that is a huge step that he was going to the feeding bowl for plant matter. Will add some peppers to see what he does as well. And then reward him with some more worms to hopefully train him that if he does that, he gets his insects.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep it's worth a try- you can disable crickets by pulling a leg off or two so they are hobbling in the bowl too-
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2mwltjlb said:
Yep it's worth a try- you can disable crickets by pulling a leg off or two so they are hobbling in the bowl too-
Karrie

Yeah I have disabled a few crickets yesterday and was surprised by how quick he gobbled them up. They are currently my way of dusting to get his multivitamin in right now. So I am trying to alternate the feeding between phoenix and crickets now for insect variety every few days. Phoenix worms are definitely more easy to deal with in terms of care and providing for him. But I feel like he is good at picking the feeders off the salad so I need to try and do it separately and reward him after he at least tried his veggies.

erodred

Original Poster
So he loves blueberry, but I know it has the oxalates which are bad for calcium uptake so I will minimize it for the baby. But I think its a good step in him knowing that what I put in the dish is now considered food.

I find he seems to wait often by the dish though in the hopes of food. My fiance and I are guilty of giving in by how cute he looks in the dish. I dont know if its a good thing to let him control us that way... haha.

My fiance also held her first worm and she hates the feeling haha.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lol ? I am glad he's now settling in-- just keep up w/ the hand feeding and hold him little at a time- they do like to jump off of you so beware- they for some reason think they can fly--if you need more websites for worms etc let me know I will post some
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
So he is now eating much more regular. Still battling him to eat the greens. Saw many tricks where the greens are wet and he will lick the water off them when offered and eventually bite them. I try to give him his insects after he at least licks the salad.

He likes to notify me that he is hungry by going to his bowl during the day.

He seems to poop a lot though during the day. His first poop has a good white and black. But his second one can be a little more white. I don’t know if it’s calcium or just more urates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom