Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep track of the weight --- like weigh her every week follow it and see if shes losing it weekly -- if shes not losing it weekly then start w/ every 2 weeks -- you dont want her down so far and not know how fast shes losing it -- if she continues to lose weight and is eating a lot or normal amounts something is going on and you would need to get her into the vet --- she should be sustaining her weight -- shedding is not going to cause them to lose weight if they are eating normally -
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I should rephrase two of my last messages. She is still as eager as ever to eat as many insects as Ill give her, but she's not eating greens as much. She used to finish off an overfilled food dish of mixed greens, now she's eating maybe half of what she used to in greens. It's note worthy that her diet was changed from primarily insects to primarily greens as she was still on daily insects in March/April, but she didn't start slowing down on greens till... Whenever I last mentioned it here.

Edit: less than two weeks ago is when she slowed on eating greens

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She's lost an additional 9g in two weeks. Down from 436g on March 10 to 394g on July 31. Daily insects again? Instead of 3-4 days per week?

101824-825175499.jpg
101824-6463849796.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Have you had her fecal checked for parasites? If she is losing weight I would do that - I dont think they will gain weight w/ salads but she should sustain it - insects are protein and w/ her eating the insects I would think shes gonna sustain it - I recommend getting a fecal in and have it tested --- go from there Do you have a reptile vet? here is a website to help you find one
www.arav.org
I am going to have Tracie look at your post
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
There is a reptile vet in the area that she's been to twice before. I'll have to dig around to find which vet it was at.

Edit: reminder that april was when she went from daily insects to 3ish days per week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let's see what Tracie thinks - she's our vet tech
She's on late at nite
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is over 2 years of age? Usually they need less protein when they get older but more
vegetation. If she is losing weight, then you can definitely get a fecal done to be sure it isn't
worms or parasites causing weight loss.
How many insects, on average, do you give her weekly? Technically, they can have 40-50
insects weekly or as monitored to continue & maintain her weight. She looks good, overall.
Maybe she isn't eating enough, that is also possible, too. You can start trying to give some
baby food to her, to help supplement her diet right now.

Tracie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She is a couple weeks short of 2 years, she was born some time between Aug 20-25 2018. She has 51 crickets per week, swaps to dubias if they're available. She's back to eagerly eating greens, she slowed down on them for a short while. She's still 9g lighter than that point though.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Update: fecal test comes back tomorrow. She weighed 396g around a week ago and now weighs 401g again. Vet noted she's in good shape aside from being a little thin and needs more hydration. Going to increase humidity in tank as it's a little low and wait on the test to come back.

Side note: we have a major discrepancy in records with the vet. I have her marked at:
436g on March 10
418g on April 17
403g on July 17
396g on July 31
392g on August 7

Vet has her marked for 400g on February 21 and 400g on August 7. Im curious if they're using a scale that only goes down to 0.1kg.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Update: Nothing showed up in fecal test, physical exam went well. Showing 413g on August 28th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom