Think I Spoiled Him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
So I think I may have spoiled my dragon. Everyday now when I get home Pickles beard and neck are jet black. Temps are all good, his head is up and he's alert, and humidity is in the sweet spot. However as soon as I pick him up and take him out of his tank his beard starts going back to normal. So I'm guessing it isn't a health thing or his beard wouldn't be going back to normal after I take him out. Anyone else have this issue?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Something is stressing him out in that tank? Check your temps basking hot and cool side - UVB is how old? He should not have a black beard -- how black is the beard -- jet black ? Post a pic of him please-- is he near a window where he can see outside --- any animals bothering him when hes in the tank cat dog?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
:lol: I have no idea -- but something is obviously is stressing him out in the tank --- thats why I said check the things I posted -- is there another dragon in the house or is he seeing his reflection?
Karrie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Checked all the temps (with thermometer and temp gun), humidity, no renegade bugs, have background on both sides so no reflection, no animals near his tank that he can see, UVB bulb is only 3 months old. His beard is pretty black but goes away when I take him out. I deep cleaned the cage but same thing. Maybe he needs a vet check up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Something is going on w/ black beard- possible RI from aspirating- I would get him in and have him checked out - do you have a reputable vet?
Here's a website if not- www.arav.org
Karrie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do have a good vet for him. He's due in a couple weeks for another check up. I'm going to call and see if I can kick the date up a bit sooner.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hoping they can see him in the next day or so at the Vet but they are really booked up. But I may have found part of the issue (it has me concerned at least).
107595-695980625.jpg
Found this last night after looking him over after a bath. Lost some scales on his foot and I'm worried about that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does he flinch when you touch it? That could be the reason for the black beard -- he might be in pain - it looks like he has scraped it against something-- what is in the tank that he could do that on and what is the substrate your using?
Karrie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ggjheqt said:
Does he flinch when you touch it? That could be the reason for the black beard -- he might be in pain - it looks like he has scraped it against something-- what is in the tank that he could do that on and what is the substrate your using?
Karrie
His hide is one of those u shaped wood ones so maybe on the bark? Substrate is Zilla reptile carpet so I can't see it being that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And the touching of it ? Sensitive ? Does it bother him? I am gonna have AHBD look at it ---
Karrie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":qfx5djpo said:
And the touching of it ? Sensitive ? Does it bother him? I am gonna have AHBD look at it ---
Karrie
I didn't touch it but I'll give it a very gentle prod when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom