Arcadia Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
In preparation for getting a Zen habitat for Figment, I've started looking around for a T5 UV bulb. As Arcadia seems to be the go-to for most folks, I looked them up - and I've found that they have both a 12% UV bulb (for desert critters) and a 14% UV bulb (specifically for dragons).

I'm thinking of buying the new bulb and fixture now, to space out expenses, though the new enclosure won't be coming home until October. I figure it would be better for Figment to have a stronger UV bulb on top of his screen once his T8 Reptisun wears out in August.

I'm inclined to go with the 14%, since I don't like dangling light fixtures, and I will want my UV to be firmly affixed to the ceiling of the Zen habitat, 2' above the basking area. Is there any reason I should NOT go for the more powerful bulb, and go with the 12% instead? Here's the link to the two bulbs:

https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/lamps/dragon/
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/lamps/desert/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have the 14% bulb in blazes tank now - it sits approx 18" above his basking decor-- he has done very well w/ it - you will want a lower piece of decor directly under it - here is a pic of his tank the fixture sits toward the front middle of tank--- basking bulb is on the right in the back - you might want to invest in a CHE for winter I don't know where you are for winter - since I am in MN I use one in each tank for winter months--
97951-8462642594.jpg
I will be changing blazes Arcadia out to the Reptisun T 5 next month l could not get the Arcadia's here a while back and went w/ the Reptisun-- currently hiccup has the Arcadia 12% in his tank---
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback... also, should I hold out and wait for the Arcadia fixture to come back in stock? Or will any T5 fixture with a reflector do just as well?

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
As for the CHE, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m in Connecticut, and it doesn’t get much below 70 in our house in the winter, but if you recommend it, I’ll definitely take it into consideration.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Any T 5 fixture w/ reflector will work w/ the Arcadia 12-14% bulbs - I checked the prices on the Jungle Dawn fixture :shock: wow I will stick w / what I am using --
Its going to be trial and error in the in the winter for the CHE -- depending on where you have the tank as far as room temp - if its in a cold room temp will drop if you have it in a warm room you may not haft to get one - in MN we get way below zero and even tho I do have the two tanks in a warmer room I still run the CHE's - it keeps tanks around 70 over nite
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1l4vh5fr said:
Any T 5 fixture w/ reflector will work w/ the Arcadia 12-14% bulbs - I checked the prices on the Jungle Dawn fixture :shock: wow I will stick w / what I am using --
Its going to be trial and error in the in the winter for the CHE -- depending on where you have the tank as far as room temp - if its in a cold room temp will drop if you have it in a warm room you may not haft to get one - in MN we get way below zero and even tho I do have the two tanks in a warmer room I still run the CHE's - it keeps tanks around 70 over nite
Karrie

Yes, I ran a check on the Jungle Dawn and OH MY was my first thought!!!

I’ll keep close watch on the temps as winter approaches... if I can get away without a CHE, great; if temps look sketchy, I’ll definitely get one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am using the Zoo Med 24" fixture I got from Pangeareptiles -- and all my bulbs have come from there as well
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":u5cb732k said:
Karrie
on pangea they are more expensive then on lightyourreptiles. Its well worth it can run for 20 years without burning out if its on 12 hours a day I have a 24 inch jungle dawn which was 174$ I got mine from pangea and on lightyourreptiles its 100 also got a 36 inch jungle dawn from lightyourreptiles for 150 my viv is 72x20x24 well worth the price this **** ain't cheap if u want it to be the best

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the update... I will take a good look at that! I agree that quality doesn’t come cheap sometimes, but sometimes, you have to understand that you can’t get Jaguar quality on a Kia budget...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wickedpogana":2c98jlac said:
Go with Arcadias Jungle Dawn Led Bar as well bestkght for beardies.
You are misunderstanding what the LED bar light does. The led light DOES NOT output uvb. It is not a suitable replacement for a uvb producing bulb.

The led bar is mainly designed for bioactive tanks as it is beneficial to plant growth. Or in other tanks that typically dont use much lighting or heat sources. However, even in a bioactive tank, youd still need a uv source for your dragon.

It is more so a light to try to provide full spectrum lighting to the tank. However the term full spectrum is obviously not a standardized agreed upon term because different manufacturers have very different ideas on what that constitutes. in our case, I think full spectrum best applies to a bulb that can produce a spectra near that of the sun. If you look at the spectra graph of that LED bar, it is pretty far off. We discuss this more in the advanced lighting section of this site. There are 1 or 2 threads of full spectrum lighting.
31715-2810207182.jpg
That above is a spectra graph of the sun. Of natural sunlight.
31715-8915595691.jpg
This is the spectra of arcadias led.
Spikes in spectra are not natural like is evident by the sun's spectra. Not to mention it is very low in the red spectra (as are most bulbs. Incandescent bulbs actually are a good source for the warmer colors of spectra. )

But that's just to show the point that "full spectrum" means different things to different people.

This bar could be used in a dragons enclosure if you wanted to, but it would have to be used alongside a basking bulb and a uv bulb. And, it wouldnt really add much either besides lumosity. the spectra it outputs is already similar to the spectra youd likely get from your uv tube and basking bulb light.

Hope that clears things up.

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Claudiusx":3uhoc3ew said:
Wickedpogana":3uhoc3ew said:
Go with Arcadias Jungle Dawn Led Bar as well bestkght for beardies.
You are misunderstanding what the LED bar light does. The led light DOES NOT output uvb. It is not a suitable replacement for a uvb producing bulb.

The led bar is mainly designed for bioactive tanks as it is beneficial to plant growth. Or in other tanks that typically dont use much lighting or heat sources. However, even in a bioactive tank, youd still need a uv source for your dragon.

It is more so a light to try to provide full spectrum lighting to the tank. However the term full spectrum is obviously not a standardized agreed upon term because different manufacturers have very different ideas on what that constitutes. in our case, I think full spectrum best applies to a bulb that can produce a spectra near that of the sun. If you look at the spectra graph of that LED bar, it is pretty far off. We discuss this more in the advanced lighting section of this site. There are 1 or 2 threads of full spectrum lighting.
31715-2810207182.jpg
That above is a spectra graph of the sun. Of natural sunlight.
31715-8915595691.jpg
This is the spectra of arcadias led.
Spikes in spectra are not natural like is evident by the sun's spectra. Not to mention it is very low in the red spectra (as are most bulbs. Incandescent bulbs actually are a good source for the warmer colors of spectra. )

But that's just to show the point that "full spectrum" means different things to different people.

This bar could be used in a dragons enclosure if you wanted to, but it would have to be used alongside a basking bulb and a uv bulb. And, it wouldnt really add much either besides lumosity. the spectra it outputs is already similar to the spectra youd likely get from your uv tube and basking bulb light.

Hope that clears things up.

-Brandon
I'm not misunderstanding it at all it emits Ray's such as PUR PAR and CRI never said it emits UVB the led bar helps improve motor functions pretty much activates third eye which is their pineal gland it's close to pure energy light not only good for plants but your micro fauna as I said before5 it's the best light for sun loving reptilians doesn't take rocket science to know this light alone isnt enough and you need a Uvb bar lol and heat and it it is way better looking light then a uv light it trumps the t5 it looks like sun energy even the t5 looks blueish this doesnt didnt really tell me anything I didnt know with that post all I said was it's the best light and I still am saying that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom