Swollen vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I took Cookie for her first vet visit the other day, just for a checkup. I drove an hour to a reputable exotics vet. To my delight, he said she looks perfectly healthy! He asked me questions about my setup and how I feed her, and he said everything sounded perfect and that he could tell I had done my research (proud momma moment!!!). He said she's a healthy weight and does not seem to be dehydrated or anything. My only concern was that in the past few weeks, her appetite has decreased a bit. She's still eating, but it's much less than she used to. I can only get her to eat every other day now. She does not seem to be losing weight. I'm assuming it's probably because she's getting older (the last time I freaked out due to changes, it was just her growing up!). So, I had brought along a fecal sample which they sent out to test for parasites, and he also did a test for Adenovirus just to be safe. I have not gotten the results back for either test yet, but should have them either today or tomorrow.

My worry now is that this morning, I'm noticing that her vent is very swollen. Could this be from the vet doing the swab for the Adenovirus test?

What I'm mostly seeing online is that it's usually from trying to lay. She's a little young (approaching one year), but I know it's possible. However, she hasn't exhibited other behaviors that would really indicate that to me, like no frantic digging or scratching. Also, shouldn't my vet have notified me if she was gravid?

I'm worried she might be in some pain, so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight for me. It was really quite alarming when I noticed it. I'm about to give her a nice warm bath to soak in. Should I take her to another vet? Maybe try putting her in her lay box? I set one up awhile back so I do have one ready.

Cookie's Care Specs:
-48x18x18 tank
-34in Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO
-100w basking light & CHE on hot end
-Basking temp stays around 95, cool end around 75... both temps monitored with digital probe thermometers
-All lights are on a timer, currently turn on at 6:30am and off at 7:30pm
-Reptile carpet (she's never been on loose substrate)
-Shallow water bowl on cool end which she totally ignores
-She does have a hide which she occasionally utilizes to take a daytime snooze, but that's very rare
-She's offered fresh greens morning and night everyday - I rotate between collards, kale, dandelion greens, arugula, mustard greens, and endive
-I offer protein twice daily as well - silkworms, dubia roaches, and occasionally superworms
-Her protein is dusted with Rep-Cal Calcium without D3 4x per week, and Rep-Cal Herptivite 1x per week.... although since she is eating less frequently, she is not getting these supplements as often as they are offered
-I hydrate her with filtered water and a dropper, which she willing drinks from (and is totally adorable and maybe my favorite thing ever)
-I bathe her once a week or sometimes bi-weekly because she seems to enjoy it. She does not drink from her bath. I bathe her more frequently if she has not had a bowel movement in awhile
-Her bowel movements have slowed to about once a week since she has been eating less

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like you're taking great care of Cookie ! Sorry to hear about this concern with her vent, can you post a pic of it ? Were you there when the vet did the swab or was it maybe done roughly by an inexperienced vet tech ? Here's how to post pics, post a couple of her tank too. :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Littlebuddysmomma

Original Poster
Hi! Thank you for your reply. After I posted this, I gave her a bath, which she defecated in and the swelling was immediately gone and has not returned since.

However, my vet just called me about 15 minutes ago to let me know her fecal sample came back with pinworms. I'm going back there in a couple of hours to pick up the medication for her, and then will be disinfecting her viv. Hopefully the meds clear things up!

Littlebuddysmomma

Original Poster
I certainly will! They gave me Panacur and said to give her .25cc today, again 14 days from now, and then a third time 28 days from now. They will do another fecal test two weeks after the third dose.

They did not give me any other information.

I'm wondering if you know of any possible side effects I might expect while she's being treated? I've seen some people mention online to give her probiotics. Is there something specific you could recommend?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Panacur is a very well tolerated med. and I rarely if ever read of beardies having problems it. Since the doses are single day and far apart I don't think you'll need any probiotic. If you still want to have it on hand you can order some here:

www.bugdelite.com

Littlebuddysmomma

Original Poster
I gave her the first dose of her treatment the day before yesterday, and she already seems to feel better! She loved the meds... tasted the first drop and then tried to eat the entire syringe :lol:

This morning she is very active and her colors have lightened back up. She happily chowed down on some greens without any coaxing, starting roaming around her tank a bunch, and now I have her out watching contently out of our window while I work. I feel like I have my baby back!

I've removed everything from her tank except for necessities for the time being - just her big basking rock/cave, a smaller rock on the cool side, and her reptile carpet has been swapped out with paper towels for now. I've thoroughly cleaned these furnishings and her tank at the end of each day the past two days, and will continue to do so over the next several weeks until her treatment is completed. Hopefully by the time these next two doses are completed, she'll be totally feeling like herself.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey, that's really good to hear ! I know you're relieved that everything's turning out just fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom