New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I've seen people use kids from jars - they are low so they can see in them. I think he probably doesn't understand yet that his food is in there.

erodred

Original Poster
WinFam01":28rr36ds said:
I've seen people use kids from jars - they are low so they can see in them. I think he probably doesn't understand yet that his food is in there.

That is what I think, and also that its something new that he is a little afraid to go near. I am debating whether I should leave it in there so he can explore it on his own when there is no food and then learn that food will be placed in that area.

erodred

Original Poster
This morning I was greeted with this. He is exploring it which is comforting. Will try adding some worms in there today to see if he goes for it inside the dish and then add kale in it later. Got to get him trained to use the dish.

108776-872833762.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That dish is big enough to add salad - he is looking for food -- try adding all of the worms and salad together at the same time -- mix your greens add a variety so he figure out what he likes the best add squash like yellow or zucchini maybe add some fruit like apple or strawberry blueberry --
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2arkgr9z said:
That dish is big enough to add salad - he is looking for food -- try adding all of the worms and salad together at the same time -- mix your greens add a variety so he figure out what he likes the best add squash like yellow or zucchini maybe add some fruit like apple or strawberry blueberry --
Karrie

Do the blue berries need to be cut up or will he take bites out of it? The only greens I have for him at the moment is kale. Been shopping around for some other ones in the list from beautiful dragon. Might have bok choy. I can shred carrots into it. Have some broccoli as well to add. Still awaiting the two hours before I put food in though. Could potentially try earlier though if he was looking for it. He just drank some water. Now he is basking up above the tree.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No broccoli --- you can cut the blueberry in half - unless your feeding carrots to your insects do not feed the dragon carrots too to much Vit A -- you can feed gr pepper not as a staple tho - frozen thawed out peas also not as a staple - romaine lettuce is ok -- bok choi is expensive - feed him now if he was in his bowl - he is telling you hes ready to eat --- shredded raw sweet potato is good -
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":11j2jnho said:
No broccoli --- you can cut the blueberry in half - unless your feeding carrots to your insects do not feed the dragon carrots too to much Vit A -- you can feed gr pepper not as a staple tho - frozen thawed out peas also not as a staple - romaine lettuce is ok -- bok choi is expensive - feed him now if he was in his bowl - he is telling you hes ready to eat --- shredded raw sweet potato is good -
Karrie

You are right. I dropped a worm in and he immediately jumped down from his basking spot to eat it. I tried finger feeding him a few more but he refused. But I was dropping them down in the dish and he was gobbling them up. After the fifth one he decided he was done and ran back up to his basking spot though. I will add the kale and blueberries in later on with worms and see how that goes. I will dust it with the multivitamin since I am worried about not being able to do that. As well as my calcium with D3, he is lacking that. He is just getting the calcium from his phoenix worms.

I have red and yellow pepper only for some odd reason. No green. I have cucumber. I have some romaine lettuce as well but I thought we avoid lettuce with them?

Will not offer carrots or broccoli.

I plan to take a trip to some vegetable store to get the squash, endives, mustard greens, dandelion greens if possible. My local superstore only seems have lettuce and spinach and kale and bok choi. None of these fancier greens.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No cucumber no nutritional value -- the red peppers are ok - they may turn his urate a little red so just FYI -- carrots are fine as long as your not feeding to your insects -- shredded -- romaine lettuce is fine no iceberg lettuce - cilantro is good too I think the smell draws them -- feed that once in awhile I add it to my guys salads when I have it in the house for other cooking -- I try and feed two different main staple greens switching off when I buy it - kale/ turnips - turnips/ collards -- mustard / collard-- etc - I separate it and put it in ziploc bags mixed get as get much air out as possible and put in veg drawer - when serving I wash a little bunches at a time cut it up in bite size leaves and serve -
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":nl7e93my said:
No cucumber no nutritional value -- the red peppers are ok - they may turn his urate a little red so just FYI -- carrots are fine as long as your not feeding to your insects -- shredded -- romaine lettuce is fine no iceberg lettuce - cilantro is good too I think the smell draws them -- feed that once in awhile I add it to my guys salads when I have it in the house for other cooking -- I try and feed two different main staple greens switching off when I buy it - kale/ turnips - turnips/ collards -- mustard / collard-- etc - I separate it and put it in ziploc bags mixed get as get much air out as possible and put in veg drawer - when serving I wash a little bunches at a time cut it up in bite size leaves and serve -
Karrie

Okay got it, So far he is eyeing the kale, peppers and blueberries with the phoenix worms crawling on it. But has made no leap towards it like he did when I just dropped a worm in. He is being curious for sure... so I think I am close to winning the battle with his stubbornness.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just let it sit in there and he may eventually wander down and eat - at least he is eating more -- just keep doing what your doing and eventually he will be waiting for you to feed him --- :)
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
Thank you for all the help!

Yeah he has had 6 phoenix worms in his gut just now. I got the salad in there with about 7 more worms inside and will monitor him. He keeps taking a look at the salad as the kale, peppers and blue berries move with the worms burring themselves inside. Just hoping for him to drop down and get eating now.

Looks like I won the battle with the insects. Now its time for the veggies.

(This is good practice for when my fiance and I marry and have a human child I guess haha)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well keep me posted --- you might want to add another staple to his food --- like some silk worms or dubia roaches -- they are good staples - I can give you some websites to order from if you want them
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3clsfq81 said:
Well keep me posted --- you might want to add another staple to his food --- like some silk worms or dubia roaches -- they are good staples - I can give you some websites to order from if you want them
Karrie

The pet store 10 min away has the silk worms but they dont have any in stock.

So far Toothless is eyeing the worms and the salad. He seems hesitant to go to the bowl right now with the salad inside. I think that is making it look too strange to him. Or he just filled up on the 6 worms. I will leave the salad there for an hour or so I guess and see what happens before removing it. And if he eats just worms for the rest of the day, that is okay. I will continue to drop them into the bowl so he knows thats his feeding dish at least. And then he will eventually just be there to eat worms and salad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I found one site that I just ordered from and I do not know how the product is I ordered hornworms silk worms and super worms - the supers are being sent out later as they are low on stock - here is the website for them www.hornworms.com they are 2 weeks out for shipping and they are good on shipping cost $7
Here are some websites that I have ordered from and are good and they are out of silk worms but I think you can get roaches www.reptilianarts.com their silk worms come small in bulk like 50 you will need to order food and feed them daily along w/ cleaning containers out daily - their roaches come in a plastic cup w/ egg cartons in them I would order small -- you can keep roaches in a 10 gallon plastic tote or a 10 gallon aquarium - that is what I use - I feed dubia food along w/ carrots and squash for hydration
www.coastalsilkworms.com
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
www.joshsfrogs.com I have not ordered from here but others on here have
www.abdragons.com
www.dubiaroaches.com they are not shipping as of now but do have good roaches and worms --
I would look at all the websites and see what you can get -- this site has small super worms and that is what he would need now - if you feed them only add like 1-3 to his salad
the more variety of a diet will make it balanced and you will find out what he likes the best
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1rzdp98c said:
I found one site that I just ordered from and I do not know how the product is I ordered hornworms silk worms and super worms - the supers are being sent out later as they are low on stock - here is the website for them http://www.hornworms.com they are 2 weeks out for shipping and they are good on shipping cost $7
Here are some websites that I have ordered from and are good and they are out of silk worms but I think you can get roaches http://www.reptilianarts.com their silk worms come small in bulk like 50 you will need to order food and feed them daily along w/ cleaning containers out daily - their roaches come in a plastic cup w/ egg cartons in them I would order small -- you can keep roaches in a 10 gallon plastic tote or a 10 gallon aquarium - that is what I use - I feed dubia food along w/ carrots and squash for hydration
http://www.coastalsilkworms.com
http://www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
http://www.joshsfrogs.com I have not ordered from here but others on here have
http://www.abdragons.com
http://www.dubiaroaches.com they are not shipping as of now but do have good roaches and worms --
I would look at all the websites and see what you can get -- this site has small super worms and that is what he would need now - if you feed them only add like 1-3 to his salad
the more variety of a diet will make it balanced and you will find out what he likes the best
Karrie

THanks! I plan to use the worm lady for his diets when he starts to eat more and more. To avoid those trips to the store. He just dived down towards his salad but he is just watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom