Refuses Everything Except Superworms (Veggie help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notta

Original Poster
He loves mealworms and superworms, I just thought both were about just as bad of a staple. He's never had horn worms because at first he was too small but now I just havn't gotten around to buying any since they are kinda expensive and more of a treat in my eyes. I will definitely get some next time I go to the pet store. May be a while though because florida and covid are not mixing well. Are meal worms a good staple compared to superworms? (also I try not to order insects right now because its already very hot and theres a heat wave here and I don't want any of the poor feeders to cook to death in the back of a hot deliver vehicle.) right now I have superworms coming which I will give to our leopard gecko so they will last forever, and nutrigrub to try in his salad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Actually I think people do feed meal worms as a staple but I havent but my two wont eat meal worms -and again I wouldnt suggest it but if it gets him to the salad bowl use them --- I get all my insects and worms on line - horn worms are expensive at the pet store -- you can look here for horn worms -
www.dubiaroaches.com they also sell meal worms and super worms shipping is $7.95 so order a good amount -- they have stopped selling butter worms :( - I just learned butter worms are from Chile and are imported in --- my two love butter worms --
when silk worms are back in stock I would suggest those as well they are another good staple feeder -- www.reptilianarts.com order in bulk like 50 they come small you will need to order food to feed them daily and clean containers out as well --- these people have nice super worms too
www.coastalsilkworms.com
Everyone is out of stock on silkies but I keep checking these sites every day
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
www.joshsfrogs.com I have not ordered from these people but others on here have
Karrie
Karrie

Notta

Original Poster
Ok I tried cancelling / refunding the superworms as they are still pending so hopefully that works and I'll get mealworms, our leopard gecko will thank me as well. Ill definitely order horn worms after this heat wave is over / cooler out unless they can survive high heat. and sorry to hear about the butter worms. Never heard of them but they sound like something my beardie would absolutely destroy :lol: (unless the butter part of their name is misleading and they aren't high in fat) Also if I get this edit in before you read and reply, What size discoid should I offer? I have a few large winged adults and a lot of medium - large pre winged. However I don't like feeding the winged adults as those are the breeders.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
:lol:
I give my two as much variety as possible w/ the worms veggies and insects - my two are on dubias but they also get silk worms too - I tried this week w/ the BSFL again and that is a no go -- they wont eat them --- I think Blaze got burned out on them when he was a baby and now wont touch them -- I have not fed Blaze crickets dont like them to much of a pain to deal w/ and Hiccup was on them when I got him and he quit eating them about the time I took him to the first vet appt and she told me to put him on dubias - so thats what I did and he was a roach boy from there -- I have even ordered prickly pear cactus pads off of amazon that is another veggie staple feeder -- do you have the website for nutrition?
Karrie

Notta

Original Poster
I do not have the website. Are you referring to the big green parts when you say pads? (i know nothing of cactus or the names of the parts) or the fruit? either way I may try this, the more things I can order online and not have to go to walmart for the better.

Notta

Original Poster
Ok that website is a life saver thank you :D . Also thanks for showing me the cactus, I think I'm gonna buy a paddle soon and if he likes them I can easily buy a few more and start growing them! (we own a lot of cactus already so whats one more)

Notta

Original Poster
Ah jeez, today for the first time ever I noticed my dragons side was twitching a little bit, just a very small spot but enough to see / feel and I know that has to do with lack of dusting since he wont eat anything I offer. Should I just dust the hell out of superworms just to get him some vitamins? I know I have the right dusts, I have cal with d3 and cal and just multivit from rep-cal. I also just moved his uvb inside of his tank with some zip ties and a screwdriver to my beautiful new screen top :cry: but its all worth it. Today I offered roaches for a few hours and I got some turnip greens but he did not acknowledge either but I know it will take time. Luckily I have 200 nutrigrubs on their way so I pray to the lizard god he likes them. If not and if I shouldn't give him superworms what is a good way to get him vitamins? I have syringes coming that people recommended to feed beardies just in case and I have yet to get the cactus but it is in my cart.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes dust the superworms or whatever worms your using -- the moving of the UVB is going to help - make sure its 12-15 inches from basking decor for the T 5 -- I am hoping he goes for the nutri grubs - those you will not need to dust as they are calcium enriched - but he will need to eat alot of them - I have just ordered from a new website that had horn worms silk worms dubias and super worms - I will give that site you go look - the supers are not being shipped out as they are low or out or something so I have them sending the rest of my order
http://www.hornworms.com they are reasonable on shipping - I also ordered some butter worms from mulberry farms today and they went way up for pricing -- I guess they are from Chile and not grown in the states so I just found that out -- and dubiaroaches is not carrying them anymore --
Make sure you rinse the nutri grubs when you get them before serving
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom