Too much UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

So I have two bearded dragons in a 55 gallon, 4’2’2 PVC enclosure and have a zoomed powersun 80w (provides UVA, UVB & Heat in one) in the basking area and a Reptisun 10.0 T5 hiring the middle of the enclosure. Is this too much UVB since I have a basking bulb that also emits it?

Also, does anyone have any experience with these powersun bulbs? I find that these get hotter than a regular basking bulb.

Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great question. The Powersun MVB is a nice bright basking bulb, too. It doesn't
emit a real strong UVB for a MVB so using a Reptisun 10 T5 tube in the middle of the tank
should be perfectly fine.
What is the distance of the T5 to him?
I have used the Powersun before, but, not recently. The MVB lights tend to run hotter than
most conventional bulbs.
Feel free to post pictures of your dragon along with the tank setup so we can see the lighting
placement & overall environment & your dragon of course!

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dragons should not be kept together - they are a dominant animal and may get along at the moment but then the next can fight and one can be mortally wounded -- I would get them separated ASAP- males will fight - females will also fight - and male / female the male will want to constantly breed stressing the female out --- one will take over the basking area and food - 2 in a 55 gallon tank is not big enough - optimal size tank for a adult dragon is a 75-120 gallon
Karrie

Moniqueamorgan

Original Poster
Drache613":2966jbqp said:
Hello,

That is a great question. The Powersun MVB is a nice bright basking bulb, too. It doesn't
emit a real strong UVB for a MVB so using a Reptisun 10 T5 tube in the middle of the tank
should be perfectly fine.
What is the distance of the T5 to him?
I have used the Powersun before, but, not recently. The MVB lights tend to run hotter than
most conventional bulbs.
Feel free to post pictures of your dragon along with the tank setup so we can see the lighting
placement & overall environment & your dragon of course!

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Thanks for replying! I attached some photos showing the distance from the bulbs as well as my setup.
Ok, yeah I thought I was going crazy regarding the temp. I had a 100w basking bulb in an old glass tank so I went with a 100w powersun and the temps were way too high. I have since swapped the 100w for a 80w powersun. I am having a hard time controlling the temps as you can see in the photos as well. I just plugged the powersun cords into the zoomed reptitemp digital thermostat with an on/off feature to help. I have noticed that my dragons aren't basking as much so I'm a little worried.

I guess what I'm wondering is if I should just forget about the powersun and go with a regular basking bulb. I just wanted to make sure my babies were getting the best amount of UVB.

Thanks again!

108812-4814129951.jpg
108812-8096447396.jpg
108812-4436908048.jpg
108812-3204983259.jpg
108812-2946247724.jpg
108812-4363591550.jpg
108812-8757848828.jpg

Moniqueamorgan

Original Poster
KarrieRee":oba6mxdd said:
Dragons should not be kept together - they are a dominant animal and may get along at the moment but then the next can fight and one can be mortally wounded -- I would get them separated ASAP- males will fight - females will also fight - and male / female the male will want to constantly breed stressing the female out --- one will take over the basking area and food - 2 in a 55 gallon tank is not big enough - optimal size tank for a adult dragon is a 75-120 gallon
Karrie

Hi Karrie,

Oh, I would never put them together. They each have their own seperate 4'x'2x2' enclosures. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok sorry I misread or didnt understand ---- your UVB does it have a reflector on it?
If not I would suggest you get one-- as of now they arent getting much UVB if any at all w/ no reflector- we have a website you can get them or get a fixture w/ a reflector
Karrie

Moniqueamorgan

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1bovzanq said:
Ok sorry I misread or didnt understand ---- your UVB does it have a reflector on it?
If not I would suggest you get one-- as of now they arent getting much UVB if any at all w/ no reflector- we have a website you can get them or get a fixture w/ a reflector
Karrie

No worries :)

No, it doesn’t. To be honest, I don’t know anything about reflectors. This is the first time I’ve heard of them. Would this lower the amount of UVB exposure? Here’s a picture of my reptisun UVB.
108812-9817342096.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it intensifies the UVB rays -- I would look at getting a reflector or get a fixture w/ a reflector --- I haft to ask are you in the UK?
Karrie

Moniqueamorgan

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2redafwf said:
No it intensifies the UVB rays -- I would look at getting a reflector or get a fixture w/ a reflector --- I haft to ask are you in the UK?
Karrie

Ohh! Gotcha. Ok, I will definitely look into that, thank you!
No, I’m actually in the United States- California

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are nice tanks, very bright. Honestly, I think the Powersun with the tube is fine. The
temperatures look good as well. So, ultimately, it is up to you.
You have your dragons separate, correct?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom