Won't stop glass surfing- 2 days straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
Felix is about 4-5 months old now, and overall he has been doing great. I have tried to follow the handbook as closely as possible with him, so when he recently started glass surfing so often I was stumped on how to go about this. I would first like to explain all of the options I have already exhausted. The first day, I thought maybe he didn't want to poop in his enclosure. So, I gave him a bath. He did not poop in the bath, and when I put him back he immediately glass surfed again. Eventually he pooped, and I cleaned it up right away. This did not stop the glass surfing like I thought it might. We are now on day two of nonstop glass surfing, and he is refusing food and running away to the wall that he prefers to glass surf on. He doesn't get stress marks or a black beard while doing this. I've offered crickets and super worms, as well as collard greens and bok choy, all of which he ate none of. Temperatures are correct on both sides, and he has a hide. He has a T8 Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb as well as a 150 watt heat lamp. He is in a 40 gallon tank right now, which I have always known I will need to upgrade eventually, but I did not think this early. He as already pooped today as well, and he continues to glass surf as I type this. Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok he could be just wanting out and curious but first we must go over the lighting
Where is the T 8? Is it inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb - bulb needs to naked and approx 6-8 inches from basking spot--- next what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stickons!!!!!!!!!! They should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer or infrared heat gun--- if all this is correct we need to move on or it could be just restlessness --
Karrie

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gioca6l said:
ok he could be just wanting out and curious but first we must go over the lighting
Where is the T 8? Is it inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb - bulb needs to naked and approx 6-8 inches from basking spot--- next what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stickons!!!!!!!!!! They should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer or infrared heat gun--- if all this is correct we need to move on or it could be just restlessness --
Karrie

Hi Karrie! Thank you so much for your reply, I double checked all those things and have been using an infared heat gun to keep temps right. He isn't even remotely interested in basking or eating today or yesterday, which really concerns me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So temps are correct and UVB is correct? If so what did he do today? All glass surf- is there another dragon in the house? Please post pics of him and his tank and lighting-- are you using any colored bulbs?
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Is there possibly something different he can see from the wall he keeps surfing on?
Do you let him out to run around when he starts surfing?
That is odd to be doing it non-stop with no basking...hope some of the more experienced people here can help.

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":27n6vhu5 said:
So temps are correct and UVB is correct? If so what did he do today? All glass surf- is there another dragon in the house? Please post pics of him and his tank and lighting-- are you using any colored bulbs?
Karrie

Yes temps and UVB are correct, as I am writing this he is glass surfing. There are no other dragons in the house. Last night, I came home to see him basking for awhile, and I got him to eat 5 superworms (he won't chase after dubias or crickets right now). He also ate some of his greens yesterday. This behavior is continuing though, and I do not know why. I have been trying to attach some photos, but it has been giving me trouble lately on here. I will post if I get it to work. I do not use any colored bulbs, at night his heat lamp and UVB go off as the temperature in the house never drops below 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Usually he tires himself out, and takes a break on his ladder which is on the cool side of the tank. He then glass surfs some more and finally gives up around night time. I offered him food this morning, and he did not eat any.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so no more super worms --- he will get addicted to them --- only offer the dubias - put them in w/ his salad/ and dust the insects --- what size tank is he in? yes try and get some pics posted please
Karrie

laurahill749

Original Poster
WinFam01":3i5w7u96 said:
Is there possibly something different he can see from the wall he keeps surfing on?
Do you let him out to run around when he starts surfing?
That is odd to be doing it non-stop with no basking...hope some of the more experienced people here can help.

His back wall has a forest background, and he tends to surf on that one less but still sometimes. The majority of the time he glass surfs on one side wall specifically, but they both have opaque white backgrounds, so I cannot imagine he simply sees his reflection. I take him out all the time when I see the surfing begin. He does not really run around though when he is out; he usually lays on me or I will take him to a fairly empty room to free roam, but he doesn't quite know what to do with all that space yet and usually just sits there. If he can see his tank in my room, he usually wants back in and then continues the behavior. It seems really odd to me too, and I wish I could find the little guy an answer! :( Thank you for your reply!

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1g8u0fcb said:
Ok so no more super worms --- he will get addicted to them --- only offer the dubias - put them in w/ his salad/ and dust the insects --- what size tank is he in? yes try and get some pics posted please
Karrie

He is in a 40 gallon tank. I do offer dubias, but he has no interest in eating them or chasing after them. I will continue to offer them though. I do dust insects with a multivitamin twice a week as well as calcium for one out of two meals a day when he eats consistently.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok needed to see if the tank was smaller- that is a good indication if they are glass surfing- not sure on this now-- still post pics of the tank - gonna enlist some help on this- when getting him out leave him out for 2 hrs and see what he does after putting him back in his tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom