New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:38 am

KarrieRee wrote:The hand waving and head bobbing is a mating thing - the waving is submission the bobbing is dominance thing - the beard bulging could mean hes stretching and going to shed
3 phoenix worms is no where near enough he should be eating a ton of those - supplement w/ dubia roaches and he should be eating anywhere from 8-10 at one time ---
http://www.reptilianarts.com they have medium roaches 200 for $35 --- I am not sure how them come in a plastic cup or in a box -- you can put them in a 10 gallon glass aquarium or tote and feed them dubia food and carrots and squash for hydration --- they will last longer than crickets and better for him they also have silk worms I get them from here and usually order in bulk like 50 they come small and are a great staple feeder as well - you will need to order food to feed daily and clean containers out daily as well
http://www.dubiaroaches.com they are currently not shipping roaches but you can order small super worms- they have good butterworms when in stock and horn worms a good hydrating worm but you need to order medium they usually come small they grow really fast so order small amounts --
http://www.coastalsilkworms.com
http://www.melberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
http://www.joshsfrogs.com
http://www.abdragons.com
Unless he actually needs to go to the vet I would hold off - its gonna stress him out even more --- he needs to adjust to his new surroundings --- make sure your washing or rinsing the BSFL -- and drop a lot in the bowl glass dish all the movement will get his attention - do it in front of him -- I think he is too young for parasites at this time - if he has poop that is smelling so badly its driving you from the room then yes a fecal is in order
Karrie


I will drop more phoenix worms in to get his attention. Cant get roaches in Canada. Which is really unfortunate. He hasnt eaten well for over 2 weeks now. If you think I should postpone or reschedule the vet appointment to reduce stress, I will do that ASAP. [Click image to enlarge]


And currently he is glass surfing the background image. I dont know if he is being fooled and think he can move forward or its something else.

He gone to the dish and looked at the worms but wont eat and is back on his perch. He wont eat anything that I offer him. He doesnt run from my hand he more just looks at it then at me and just stays still. He seems lazy with some bursts of energy which bearded dragons are not supposed to be. They should be very energetic until they get older from the youtube videos and resources I read. So did I just get one that is super stubborn? My local petsmart seems to do pretty well with the reptiles they handle them daily and only 1 per tank. They put in fresh vegetables (bell peppers) and I never saw crickets running around. But they were using the coil UVB bulb.
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 am

He hasnt really eaten in 2 weeks - ok get crickets -- unless you have some but he needs to eat more and if he will eat them thats good - please post a pic of him and his tank and lighting --- I am going to enlist some help on this one -- feed the crickets one or two at a time and see if he will chase them - feed in his tank -- make sure you dont leave any in there --- humidity is good --- I did not know you were in Canada I am gonna post a website for Canada
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
www.https://www.thewormlady.ca/
Make sure he is hydrated w/ him not eating vegies he needs his bugs gut loaded w/ good food and water like carrots or water cubes -- you can drop water on his nose and see if he will lick it off -- or mist him and see if he will drink that way -- we need to see him
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm

KarrieRee wrote:He hasnt really eaten in 2 weeks - ok get crickets -- unless you have some but he needs to eat more and if he will eat them thats good - please post a pic of him and his tank and lighting --- I am going to enlist some help on this one -- feed the crickets one or two at a time and see if he will chase them - feed in his tank -- make sure you dont leave any in there --- humidity is good --- I did not know you were in Canada I am gonna post a website for Canada
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
www.https://www.thewormlady.ca/
Make sure he is hydrated w/ him not eating vegies he needs his bugs gut loaded w/ good food and water like carrots or water cubes -- you can drop water on his nose and see if he will lick it off -- or mist him and see if he will drink that way -- we need to see him
Karrie


[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]


I have crickets and he does not show any interest in chasing them or receiving them via fingers or tongs. He gives me sass and turns away. He drank a drop of water from me just now and then ran away from the rock to the top of the tree.

He just ate a single butterworm but refuses any more. Probably a decision out of desperation. But refuses to eat anything else. No crickets. No phoenix worms. Not even a second butterworm.

He has not had calcium w/ D3 or reptile multivitamin now for 2 weeks due to his lack of eating. I still have the vet scheduled for this coming Wednesday.

His poops seem to be good but he also drops out some water as well after he drops poop. I couldnt find if that was normal on google. ONly if it was all water its diarrhea. He doesnt mind climbing up and down his basking spot which I think is just him thermoregulating. But he does not have any interest in food at all, let alone vitamins and other nutrients to keep him alive. I feel lucky that he even decided to drink water.

We DO NOT have a dog or anything to scare him. And only 1 side of tank is exposed so he will not feel surrounded. No kids to poke at his tank. Just my fiance and myself checking in and trying to make the dragon eat.
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Ok so he is eating but not much -- start dusting the worms butter worms - you do not need to dust the phoenix worms they are high in calcium --- so get what you can down him w/ the supplements - all is good w/ that tank and w/ him basking and pooping what little it is that is to be expected since hes not eating much -- thermoglating is when they are gaping -- he will sit under his lights w/ mouth slightly ajar -- he is regulating his temp then -- his poop will be dark brown / black depending on what he eats for protein and white urate - it will formed moist and dark and formed moist and white - if its chalky looking or dried out hes dehydrated -- he is gonna take some time for adjusting --- as long as hes active basking and pooping and eating a little I think he will be fine - your little guy is stubborn -
if he becomes lethargic not moving lifeless like and he quits basking and being active then we have reason to be concerned but at this time we have done all we can do -- just keep feeding him and working w/ him he needs to learn to trust you put your hands in the tank as much as possible keep trying to hand feed him so he gets used to your hand -- keep me posted
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:08 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Ok so he is eating but not much -- start dusting the worms butter worms - you do not need to dust the phoenix worms they are high in calcium --- so get what you can down him w/ the supplements - all is good w/ that tank and w/ him basking and pooping what little it is that is to be expected since hes not eating much -- thermoglating is when they are gaping -- he will sit under his lights w/ mouth slightly ajar -- he is regulating his temp then -- his poop will be dark brown / black depending on what he eats for protein and white urate - it will formed moist and dark and formed moist and white - if its chalky looking or dried out hes dehydrated -- he is gonna take some time for adjusting --- as long as hes active basking and pooping and eating a little I think he will be fine - your little guy is stubborn -
if he becomes lethargic not moving lifeless like and he quits basking and being active then we have reason to be concerned but at this time we have done all we can do -- just keep feeding him and working w/ him he needs to learn to trust you put your hands in the tank as much as possible keep trying to hand feed him so he gets used to your hand -- keep me posted
Karrie


Yeah he is gaping. I will keep trying to hand feed him the worms. I am worried about the butterworms because they can stretch to be much bigger than between his eyes. But he seems to like them (at least the one he ate) so will try that one again after work when he is eating his dinner. I just want him to eat out of the bowl so introducing the salads will be easier too, especially since i can dust the salad with his multivitamin.
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby WinFam01 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:28 pm

If it makes you feel any better, it took ours weeks, if not more than a month before she would start eating more than a few crickets a day. Little lizards have little tummies. :)
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
User avatar
WinFam01
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:50 pm
Location: West MI

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 am

WinFam01 wrote:If it makes you feel any better, it took ours weeks, if not more than a month before she would start eating more than a few crickets a day. Little lizards have little tummies. :)


That is comforting to know.

Today I had some success without the bowl. I would grab a phoenix worm, wave it in front of him and then drop it on the ground nearby. He would then leave his basking spot to eat it before going back to bask. He eats just one worm before he decides he is done. A dropped second one gets ignored, even if its crawling on his toes.

So far it has been about 45 minute intervals between worms. I am wondering if the bowl itself is foreign object and he gets stressed by it. I will continue to see if I can shop for a ceramic bowl as I think stainless steel is reflective and he sees himself when he goes to eat. I went to pet store and tried to get a dog or cat ceramic dish. I am keen on getting him eating out a dish so I know that introducing vegetables will be easier.

Anyways for now he is getting calcium in him at least with the phoenix worms. And some hydration. I mist him a few times in the day and he does lick it (after running away from the mist).
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:19 am

Try and get a ceramic bowl or glass - like this https://www.amazon.com/OMEM-Worm-Dish-R ... 205&sr=8-7 you want a large
he needs to be started on vegies now --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- once he gets too old he wont eat veggies -- we have had too many on here not started as babies then they wont eat them -- offer them first thing in the morning adding your BSFL on top of them -- he needs to be drawn to that bowl -- he is really skittish
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:21 am

KarrieRee wrote:Try and get a ceramic bowl or glass - like this https://www.amazon.com/OMEM-Worm-Dish-R ... 205&sr=8-7 you want a large
he needs to be started on vegies now --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- once he gets too old he wont eat veggies -- we have had too many on here not started as babies then they wont eat them -- offer them first thing in the morning adding your BSFL on top of them -- he needs to be drawn to that bowl -- he is really skittish
Karrie


Yeah he really is skittish. I will try and get him to that bowl. It sounds like he will be okay, but he is sort of a project to get him to settle and eat.
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:24 am

I understand keep working w/ him and try hand feeding him some veggies - collard turnip kale or mustard greens --- rinse your greens before serving so hes getting moisture too --- Blaze was skittish too and it took me months to get him tamed but I worked w/ him every day talked to him handled him a little at a time -- they haft to learn to trust ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:01 pm

KarrieRee wrote:I understand keep working w/ him and try hand feeding him some veggies - collard turnip kale or mustard greens --- rinse your greens before serving so hes getting moisture too --- Blaze was skittish too and it took me months to get him tamed but I worked w/ him every day talked to him handled him a little at a time -- they haft to learn to trust ---
Karrie


Yeah I will handle him for a bit and let him climb all over me to explore. Usually 5 minutes a day at most. He wont eat from my fingers but he will follow the food and when I drop it he will eat it. I will see if he will do that with kale. Maybe I will have kale and a worm. I need to find a dish that doesnt make him afraid I guess.
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Fiance says I have to try and make that stainless steel dish work since I spent so much money on the dragon... haha.... You think he will learn not to be afraid of it?
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:11 pm

I really don't know- I don't know of anyone using a stainless steal bowl most on here use glass or ceramic-- so I can't say -- he can't continue to eat little - a month is a long time- keep track of how long it's been and if he starts showing signs of being lethargic you will haft to step in and start feeding by spoon or possibly syringe--
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby erodred » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:15 pm

He has just ate his 10th Phoenix worm today. The waving it in front and then dropping it seems to work. If he follows the worm he will go for it. Won’t eat it from my finger. And he seems to need to wait between worms. But that is some progress.
erodred
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am

Re: New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Ok so start dropping them in the bowl right in front of him on some salad -
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9757
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users