BRUMATION AT 6 MONTHS?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon Bee is just about 6 months old. The past two weeks she has really slowed down in activity and eating with an increase in napping and hiding. She also hasn’t pooped in a little over a week (her last poop was very very large). Nothing has changed in her diet or any of the temperatures. The only change is that I have put a dehumidifier near her tank for at night when the humidity gets a little higher. I’m nervous there’s something wrong.. I have read that although uncommon, it is still possible that she could be instinctively attempting to go into brumation (it is the winter months in their homeland of Australia), but I don’t know. Is this just a slow down? She’s 15 inches long. HELP any advice is great

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
6 months is way too young to allow your dragon to brumate.

Wont be large enough to have sufficient fat reserves, better off keeping the dragon warm , and fed and let it use the cold months to grow and develop.

Only concession I make for winter is I reduce the photoperiod by 1 hr, from 16hr to 15hr.

I recommend a vet visit , severe impaction may be your problem .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of the tank, including the light placement, as well as full body pic of our girl to show her size + condition ? Some sub-adult beardies can go through a " lazy " spell with the behavior you described. This can last a week or month in some cases with no bad consequences even if they're not adult sized. Still it's best to rule out an outside cause. How do you measure the temps ? I'm wondering if she's too hot. Here is how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was going to suggest to shut the under warmer tank mat off -- she doesnt need it and needs temps at nite to be around 65-70's --- the heat emitter should only be on at nite if tank is falling below 65
Karrie

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
AHBD":35kwqx0r said:
Hi there, can you post pics of the tank, including the light placement, as well as full body pic of our girl to show her size + condition ? Some sub-adult beardies can go through a " lazy " spell with the behavior you described. This can last a week or month in some cases with no bad consequences even if they're not adult sized. Still it's best to rule out an outside cause. How do you measure the temps ? I'm wondering if she's too hot. Here is how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Here’s her tank setup:
107687-9960390967.jpg
Here’s the placement of UV, basking, heat emitter (only when needed):
107687-9919698671.jpg
Here’s hydrometer/thermometer and hydrometer on cool side (which she never goes on):
107687-2075612666.jpg
Here’s hydrometer/thermometer, hydrometer, and probe thermometer on hot side:
107687-3333079801.jpg
Here’s Bee :)
107687-8826728458.jpg
107687-1687096130.jpg
107687-5060128849.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your tank looks good and so does Bee -- like AHBD suggested she could be going thru a lazy spell - as long as shes eating basking and pooping and its not uncommon for them to go thru long periods of time to poop - she should be good - its when they quit doing all the above is when to get concerned -- shedding will cause a slow down on eating as well - make sure she stays hydrated and just let her do her thing --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, she llooks great and your set up is beautiful. :) Can she get within 12-14" of the uvb bulb ? Proper uvb exposure very important for activity level. How do you hydrate her ? That's also very important, you can use a syringe or spray bottle to slowly drip water on her snout to give her a drink. Yoou can give her a 10 minute lukewarm soak and do the same thing.

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
AHBD":oi2uno2e said:
Yeah, she llooks great and your set up is beautiful. :) Can she get within 12-14" of the uvb bulb ? Proper uvb exposure very important for activity level. How do you hydrate her ? That's also very important, you can use a syringe or spray bottle to slowly drip water on her snout to give her a drink. Yoou can give her a 10 minute lukewarm soak and do the same thing.

Thank you! I appreciate that! Her hide/rock provides the height and platform to get within 10”-16” from uvb bulb. She’s had 3 baths this week and she actually does drink from her water bowl on the cool side.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., maybe one more log to lean up against the hide that she can climb + bask on , just in case the rock hide is too hot or she simply prefers a wood perch rather than rock. They perch on wood a lot in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom