Beardie hides all day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhpsp

Hi All,

My beardie, Nigel, is approaching 2 years old. For the past two weeks-ish, she has been spending all day in her hide. Days at a time... I have taken her out to eat (she will eat her bugs only, but I found if I place some greens by her mouth when she is chewing, she will eat the greens) but she has not gone to the bathroom. When I take her out to eat, I place her under the basking light and she will bask for a couple of hours, then back to the hide until I take her out again. It is almost like she is brumating...

Her setup has the cool side in the low/mid 80s. Hot side in upper 90s. I have a mercury vapor bulb for her basking, and I have a tube UVB light along the rest of her tank. I turned off the tube light for a couple days to test to see if it was just too bright for her. She still hid.

When I take her out, she is alert.
106655-398852374.jpg

Any thoughts/advice?

Thank you so much to this wonderful community! Being a first time beardie owner, the support on this site has been invaluable. I truly appreciate all the help.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Some beardies brumate in the summer because they are on Australian mode (some hatch that way I guess, despite possibly never even setting foot in the Southern Hemisphere.) Your beardie sounds old enough to brumate, but I’d watch the beard and make sure it’s not black.

rhpsp

Original Poster
Wow! That’s interesting! Thank you for the information. Her beard is not black.

This is the first time she has brumated. Do I need to keep taking her out to feed?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She could be just be lazy- how far away is the MVB? And its good your using a tube UVB as well - what is the brand and bulb of that and where in the tank is it? It is not uncommon for them to not poop for long periods of time - make sure she is staying hydrated - and if she is eating basking and pooping she should be fine along w/ no black bearding as well --
Karrie

rhpsp

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

The MVB is about 10 in from her basking spot. I have the repitsun 10.0 UVB. It is on top of the screen. I have not been able to secure it on the inside.
106655-5152026671.jpg
Both lights are about 6.5 months.

I gave her a bath this morning and she pooped! Her urates were hard though. It has always been a struggle to keep her hydrated. She doesn't drink when water is dripped on her snout, I provide water in her tank doesn't touch it. I mist her greens multiple times a day. I am ordering some hornworms for her again, hopefully that will keep her hydrated...

I placed her under her basking light after and she is currently basking. I am sure in a couple of hours she will go back in her hide. Seems to be the routine.

Thank again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is a T 8? If so it needs to be inside the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over that bulb and they do expire in 6 months--- you need to hang it approx 6-8 inches from her basking decor directly overhead --- you can use these to hang w/3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers -- shoe laces -- here is a pic of how someone hung theirs
97951-4086785400.jpg
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
After you get it repositioned watch her behavior and let me know if it changes-
Karrie

rhpsp

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

Just wanted to update. Nigel is back in her hide. No change in behavior. I feed her, put her under the basking light, and in a couple of hours she’s back in her hide.

I did order hornworms to help with hydration. I will continue to take her out every couple of days to keep her fed.

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I didnt catch this earlier but your T 8 is over 6 months old correct? If so its expired - please replace it ASAP-- I would take that piece of log basking decor and lay it down like this
97951-1422837680.jpg
it looks exactly like my piece -- are you in the states? Another thing I noticed is he on the floor? Please get him off the floor - its cold and drafty and they like to see their surroundings - I had another dragon on here doing the same thing as yours and he too was on the floor once he got moved he quit hiding all the time -- put him on a dresser or stand but please get him off the floor
Karrie

rhpsp

Original Poster
I ordered a replacement bulb. Should be here today. I am in California. I will get a stand. Thanks for the help.

rhpsp

Original Poster
Hi,

Just wanted to update. I have changed her UVB and attached it inside the screen, her temps are good but Nigel is still hiding... I have continued to take her out of hiding 1-2x per week to give her some hornworms, dubia, and greens. She will eat, bask for a short bit, then go back into her hide. She has pooped, looks fine.

Is it just brumation? Even though it's summer...

When she is taken out she is alert, no blackbeard, no noticeable weight loss or signs of illness. There was 1 day where after I took her out she was glass surfing a bit, but then went back into her hide. That hasn't happened again.

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated! Thanks again for being such a wonderful community!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your UVB is the correct distance ? Well its just her then if shes eating basking and pooping she should be fine -- she could be getting ready for brumation and just has not gone fully into it -- and not losing weight too --- so keep an eye on her continue to feed her and just watch her and let her do her thing
Karrie

rhpsp

Original Poster
Her UVB is ~7in from her basking spot.

Since she's hiding all day, should I turn the light off? My house thermostat is set to 80F so it is not cold in here.

Thanks so much Karrie! I truly appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom