Advice for hydrating a sick bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morganmc

Hello,

My bearded dragon is recovering from aspirating water last night (I've already had a vet visit & posted a thread about this!) but he is still quite dehydrated. He's on Carnivore Care as well as Baytril and Flagyl and I'm looking for advice on how to give him water, as baths are out of the question for right now (not trying to have a repeat of yesterday :? ) Could I give it to him using a plastic syringe? He's not really interested in eating any greens right now - usually, I try to give him water by including iceberg lettuce in his salads. I don't want to introduce any more water into his lungs, so any advice on how to safely keep him hydrated would be fantastic! Thanks in advance :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can give by syringe but do it slowly -- little at a time -- let him swallow the water - go in from the side of his mouth and little at a time
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
So he usually only drinks in the bath?
We taught our girl how to drink from a dropper by very slowly putting one drip at a time on the end of her nose

morganmc

Original Poster
WinFam01":38v2aih0 said:
So he usually only drinks in the bath?
We taught our girl how to drink from a dropper by very slowly putting one drip at a time on the end of her nose

Not necessarily, while I would say a bulk of his water comes from his greens and direct water drinking is usually from baths, I have given him water like you're describing. I'm just a bit paranoid and wasn't sure if I should do anything differently since he aspirated so recently. I want to make sure I don't make it any worse!

morganmc

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2itc1upz said:
You can give by syringe but do it slowly -- little at a time -- let him swallow the water - go in from the side of his mouth and little at a time
Karrie

Great, will do!

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
I just went through this myself. Do exactly what Karrie said. My dragon was so dehydrated they didn't think he'd make it. I gave him water through a syringe and after days of doing this (and the critical care food) the little guy pulled through. I also gave him daily baths just to keep his skin hydrated and clean. Good luck my friend. Let us know how it goes.

morganmc

Original Poster
Shaun78":yrzs9y9n said:
I just went through this myself. Do exactly what Karrie said. My dragon was so dehydrated they didn't think he'd make it. I gave him water through a syringe and after days of doing this (and the critical care food) the little guy pulled through. I also gave him daily baths just to keep his skin hydrated and clean. Good luck my friend. Let us know how it goes.
Smokey is already doing much much better! Still not 100%, but he is steadily improving :)

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Put an ice cube in front of them - chances are they’ve never seen an ice cube before, so they might lick it real quick.

It’s not gonna hydrate them very much, but it gets a few million molecules of H2O in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom