BRUMATION AT 6 MONTHS?!?!

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

BRUMATION AT 6 MONTHS?!?!

Postby laneyeldridge » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:40 am

My bearded dragon Bee is just about 6 months old. The past two weeks she has really slowed down in activity and eating with an increase in napping and hiding. She also hasn’t pooped in a little over a week (her last poop was very very large). Nothing has changed in her diet or any of the temperatures. The only change is that I have put a dehumidifier near her tank for at night when the humidity gets a little higher. I’m nervous there’s something wrong.. I have read that although uncommon, it is still possible that she could be instinctively attempting to go into brumation (it is the winter months in their homeland of Australia), but I don’t know. Is this just a slow down? She’s 15 inches long. HELP any advice is great
Last edited by laneyeldridge on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
UVA/UVB:
Zoo Med T5-H0 Terrarium Hood, 24”
Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 H0 Lamp, 24 watts
Basking:
Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp, 150 watts
External Heat:
Power Reptile Heat Pad Under Tank Terrarium Warmer (large) (always on)
Thrive Ceramic Heat Emitter, 60 watts (used only at night when house is cooler)
On the cooler side the temp is consistent with being 80-83 degrees, where on the warmer lower side it's usually 87-90 degrees with the basking area being 100-105 degrees.
laneyeldridge
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: BRUMATION AT 6 MONTHS?!?!

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:01 am

6 months is way too young to allow your dragon to brumate.

Wont be large enough to have sufficient fat reserves, better off keeping the dragon warm , and fed and let it use the cold months to grow and develop.

Only concession I make for winter is I reduce the photoperiod by 1 hr, from 16hr to 15hr.

I recommend a vet visit , severe impaction may be your problem .
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby AHBD » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:04 am

Hi there, can you post pics of the tank, including the light placement, as well as full body pic of our girl to show her size + condition ? Some sub-adult beardies can go through a " lazy " spell with the behavior you described. This can last a week or month in some cases with no bad consequences even if they're not adult sized. Still it's best to rule out an outside cause. How do you measure the temps ? I'm wondering if she's too hot. Here is how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:21 am

I was going to suggest to shut the under warmer tank mat off -- she doesnt need it and needs temps at nite to be around 65-70's --- the heat emitter should only be on at nite if tank is falling below 65
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby laneyeldridge » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:25 am

AHBD wrote:Hi there, can you post pics of the tank, including the light placement, as well as full body pic of our girl to show her size + condition ? Some sub-adult beardies can go through a " lazy " spell with the behavior you described. This can last a week or month in some cases with no bad consequences even if they're not adult sized. Still it's best to rule out an outside cause. How do you measure the temps ? I'm wondering if she's too hot. Here is how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Here’s her tank setup:
[Click image to enlarge]

Here’s the placement of UV, basking, heat emitter (only when needed):
[Click image to enlarge]

Here’s hydrometer/thermometer and hydrometer on cool side (which she never goes on):
[Click image to enlarge]

Here’s hydrometer/thermometer, hydrometer, and probe thermometer on hot side:
[Click image to enlarge]

Here’s Bee :)
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
UVA/UVB:
Basking:
External Heat:
On the cooler side the temp is consistent with being 80-83 degrees, where on the warmer lower side it's usually 87-90 degrees with the basking area being 100-105 degrees.
laneyeldridge
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:32 am

Your tank looks good and so does Bee -- like AHBD suggested she could be going thru a lazy spell - as long as shes eating basking and pooping and its not uncommon for them to go thru long periods of time to poop - she should be good - its when they quit doing all the above is when to get concerned -- shedding will cause a slow down on eating as well - make sure she stays hydrated and just let her do her thing --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby AHBD » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 am

Yeah, she llooks great and your set up is beautiful. :) Can she get within 12-14" of the uvb bulb ? Proper uvb exposure very important for activity level. How do you hydrate her ? That's also very important, you can use a syringe or spray bottle to slowly drip water on her snout to give her a drink. Yoou can give her a 10 minute lukewarm soak and do the same thing.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby laneyeldridge » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am

AHBD wrote:Yeah, she llooks great and your set up is beautiful. :) Can she get within 12-14" of the uvb bulb ? Proper uvb exposure very important for activity level. How do you hydrate her ? That's also very important, you can use a syringe or spray bottle to slowly drip water on her snout to give her a drink. Yoou can give her a 10 minute lukewarm soak and do the same thing.

Thank you! I appreciate that! Her hide/rock provides the height and platform to get within 10”-16” from uvb bulb. She’s had 3 baths this week and she actually does drink from her water bowl on the cool side.
UVA/UVB:
Basking:
External Heat:
laneyeldridge
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:53 am

O.K., maybe one more log to lean up against the hide that she can climb + bask on , just in case the rock hide is too hot or she simply prefers a wood perch rather than rock. They perch on wood a lot in Australia.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion