Albon,metronidazole, and ponazuril.. too much??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nina has been on metrodizonale and ponazuril before for coccidia and pinworms starting about 3 months ago.She improved for awhile but became under the weather again. She underwent antibiotic injections as well and another round of metro.

Better for roughly a month and then started becoming lethargic, hiding, stools runny and smelly.
Her newest fecal came back with elevated levels of coccidia and high amount of bacteria in her stool. The vet prescribed albon to combat the GI bacteria and ponazuril and metro again to wipe out the coccidia.

My concern is the high amount of medications administered in the past 4 months. I dont want her system to become overwhelmed. I am looking for advice on the dosage if it's too much?
Nina's weight- 392grams
Albon-0.4 ml for 5 days (strength-50mg/ml)
Metronidazole- 0.08ml every 48 hr for 5 doses(strength-100mg/ml)
Ponazuril-0.13ml every 48 hr for 2 doses (strength-90mg/ml)

She has been on acidophilliz for a month as well and benebac before that.
I will continue to give acidophilliz hours after the albon dose.
I am going to keep her hydrated too.

Her uvb was changed to a reptisun t8 mounted on top of enclosure 10 inches or so from basking spots. Her cool side is 87 to 89 degrees and basking 101-104 degrees.

Any input is appreciated, thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is quite a bit of medication, I agree. Do you have counts on the coccidia, & any
other issues, like worms?
Honestly, all your dragon needs for coccidia, is the Ponazuril. The metronidazole wont
treat coccidia. It can help with flagellets or amoebas, etc or other bacterial problems.
I don't know whether or not she needs the Albon, really. I think it could be too much
on her system. Too much medication will destroy their systems. I am glad to hear you
are using acidophiliz, that should help. Continue using that for awhile.
For her weight of 392 grams or .39 kg, the dose of Albon she is being given is roughly 50mg/kg.
That is usually within range of the 25-50mg/kg recommendations.
The Metronidazole is usually given 50mg/kg most of the time. Her dose is roughly 25mg/kg so
that is within range.
The Ponazuril is routinely dosed at 20mg/kg & she is being given 30mg/kg which is fine. It is
a relatively mild drug.
I see that the number of doses & duration are not too bad. What did you decide to keep her
on?

Tracie

Raninicholle33

Original Poster
Drache613":j02qf0lh said:
Hello,

That is quite a bit of medication, I agree. Do you have counts on the coccidia, & any
other issues, like worms?
Honestly, all your dragon needs for coccidia, is the Ponazuril. The metronidazole wont
treat coccidia. It can help with flagellets or amoebas, etc or other bacterial problems.
I don't know whether or not she needs the Albon, really. I think it could be too much
on her system. Too much medication will destroy their systems. I am glad to hear you
are using acidophiliz, that should help. Continue using that for awhile.
For her weight of 392 grams or .39 kg, the dose of Albon she is being given is roughly 50mg/kg.
That is usually within range of the 25-50mg/kg recommendations.
The Metronidazole is usually given 50mg/kg most of the time. Her dose is roughly 25mg/kg so
that is within range.
The Ponazuril is routinely dosed at 20mg/kg & she is being given 30mg/kg which is fine. It is
a relatively mild drug.
I see that the number of doses & duration are not too bad. What did you decide to keep her
on?

Tracie
Thank you for your reply Tracie, I was hoping I could hear from you.
I just called the vet to request the specific counts and they will email me when they receive the counts. It was a fecal that was sent out to a lab. Today is day 4 of the albon and I really feel like I want to cut it at 4. I feel like if her good bacteria is wiped out too much it's going to be counterproductive.
Nina is responsive and alert when interacted with but she spends all day in her hut if undisturbed for food or being put under uvb and basking spot. She is very tired. She did have a pretty hearty appetite before meds but she went through a lengthy full body shed patch by patch and on the last patch she started hiding like she was worn out by shedding and the lingering coccidia.

I heard the metrodizonale is harsh on their systems. She recieved her 2 doses of ponazuril but has several more doses of metro. I will post the counts when I receive them, I would really love a second opinion on them so I do not over medicate her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are very welcome! :D
How is Nina doing today? Honestly, I can't blame you for ending the Albon early. It is so
hard on their systems & many times does more harm than good.
Let us know what the counts are when you get them from the vet.
The Metronidazole is relatively harsh, that is correct. I am sure that she is tired. Continuous
medications wear on their system. Be sure she is getting plenty of fluids, but it sounds like
you are already doing that!

Tracie

Raninicholle33

Original Poster
Drache613":237iq9qx said:
Hello,

You are very welcome! :D
How is Nina doing today? Honestly, I can't blame you for ending the Albon early. It is so
hard on their systems & many times does more harm than good.
Let us know what the counts are when you get them from the vet.
The Metronidazole is relatively harsh, that is correct. I am sure that she is tired. Continuous
medications wear on their system. Be sure she is getting plenty of fluids, but it sounds like
you are already doing that!

Tracie
Nina is doing okay, she ate 5 crickets today. I gave her two small hornworms as well.No greens though. I syringe fed her repta boost for more nutrition and liquids.

The vet sent me a form simply stating:
"Large amounts of bacteria"
"Occ coccidia"
As the findings...
I will have to call again to receive the actual counts not sure why they didn't send them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom