Bearded Dragon Died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortikus

She was 81/2 or 9 and I was feeding her pedialyte with a dropper with some calcium and vitamins. Wife had her in the sun and I did not want her out there because she was not able to walk and would not eat. I soaked her last night and she was fine. Upstairs was 80-90 because the new ac they bought is not able to keep up and her mvb was at the lip of the 60 gallon tank beaming on her rock and she was near it but not directly under. I am at the in laws and if she held on a week longer I was gonna have it perfect because we aee moving as they would not let me move her ground level and take care of her like she deserved. I am gonna feel guilty forever now because I could not take care of her like I should have. I assume she caught MBD because the local stores ran out of feeders except superworms so I was feeding her those and collards but she stopped eating them not long ago and just the superworms. I tried to save her but think I killed her instead with heat stroke.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Omg this isn’t your fault at all! This sounds like a freak accident, literally no one can expect their AC to go out suddenly, and when it does, it takes forever for the people to come out and fix it.

Also, don’t ever say “I killed her from heat stroke.” You didn’t kill her, the sun did that. You aren’t the reason she died.

On a side note, did you give her calcium supplements every other day? It’s good to give them calcium with D3 every other day on their insects. Regardless, do not let this experience deter you from adopting a beardie in the future.

Mortikus

Original Poster
What really get me is the light was on her rock. She was kinda in the outter part of the light, but not in the beam. The MVB is in a wire thing so it didnt concentrate on the rock. The powersun was at the far top with the bottom of the bulb level with the 60 gallon tank top. The other side had airflow. She was able to slide herself off her rock, wouldn't she be able to slide to the cooler end if she was on the flat ground? I know she could hardly move but this is so weird.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It sounds like she had MBD real bad -- what was the UVB you were using? Brand and bulb please- how far was the distance from the UVB
Karrie

Mortikus

Original Poster
KarrieRee":pyr5uigj said:
It sounds like she had MBD real bad -- what was the UVB you were using? Brand and bulb please- how far was the distance from the UVB
Karrie
We were using Reptisun 10.0 Tube and replaced with Mega Ray 100w not a Solar like I thought we had in prior post around March. It was around 12-14 " from her rock? It had a wire clamp on a stand.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so were you using both or completely switched to the MegaRay in March-- how long before she quit eating and moving? When you went to the MegaRay did her behavior change after that?
Karrie

Mortikus

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2sl8hfq7 said:
Ok so were you using both or completely switched to the MegaRay in March-- how long before she quit eating and moving? When you went to the MegaRay did her behavior change after that?
Karrie

completely switched to megaray and turned off the other heat lamp we used. She quit eating a week or two ago and tried to give her pedialyte she would hardly eat it. Was gonna give her chicken and squash baby food 2 to 1 ratio but she died so sudden.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure then -- it could of been underlying issues for her to die so suddenly like that - it is hard to say w/ out having a necrospy I cant spell or say that word done --- was she showing any black bearding ? Again I am sorry dont beat yourself up - we can only do so much for them w/ out knowing exactly what is going on w/ them -- :( I had one die on me as well and I didnt know anything about them as she was a babysitting project over the summer from school that my daughter was doing - we ended up keeping her and I knew nothing about them at the time and learned too late of all the things I was doing wrong - I swore never again I would make those mistakes and learned most everything from the forum- I never went to the petstores for help - most of them know nothing about taking care of a dragon -- so like I said dont blame yourself ---
Karrie

Mortikus

Original Poster
KarrieRee":y9ys1ac4 said:
I am not sure then -- it could of been underlying issues for her to die so suddenly like that - it is hard to say w/ out having a necrospy I cant spell or say that word done --- was she showing any black bearding ? Again I am sorry dont beat yourself up - we can only do so much for them w/ out knowing exactly what is going on w/ them -- :( I had one die on me as well and I didnt know anything about them as she was a babysitting project over the summer from school that my daughter was doing - we ended up keeping her and I knew nothing about them at the time and learned too late of all the things I was doing wrong - I swore never again I would make those mistakes and learned most everything from the forum- I never went to the petstores for help - most of them know nothing about taking care of a dragon -- so like I said dont blame yourself ---
Karrie

Yes her beard has been real black a lot before she died. I tried to feed her but she would fight me and almost seemed to be ignoring the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom