Stanley not basking or eating crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
105895-8978765113.jpg
Hello all,
I hope you all can help me. My little stanley is over a year old now at this point so he has been moved to a 48in tank a little over 8 months ago. When he first went in he was basking just fun but in recent time he has stopped. The basking spot is 100.8 and I measure it with a probe thermometer. He has a reptisun t5 10.0 in his tank with him. If he does eat it is normally a little bit of his salad and then maybe a superworm. If I give him superworms he will gobble up all he can eat. But he is just not basking after eating or at all. He is usually hiding under where he should be basking where it is darker. Here is the tank and a few pictures of him.
105895-9700411642.jpg
105895-109309950.jpg
105895-1085190587.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Stanley looks magnificent great colors on him. His weight appears good as well. He "may"
be trying to do a little brief slowdown or brumation, because he is technically old enough. A
lot of them do a slow down phase in spring/summer time. He will likely still grow & fill out well
into his second year.
You could consider getting a fecal done, just to be sure he doesn't have high levels of worms
or coccidia that could be affecting his appetite, etc.
How close is the T5 to him?

Tracie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
Ok. I'll talk to my local herp vet and see about scheduling to get one done. The t5 sits on top of his tank from his basking spot its about. 8 or 9 inches away. Its a 48 inch one but I have been told that can lead to to much uvb in the tank so I have half covered on the cold side and his hot side still open to uvb.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds like a plan then! You know, you can get a fecal done at a regular vets place,
just to get one done. Just don't let them force medication on you because they aren't well
versed on reptile treatments.
How is he doing today?
The T5 lighting placement is perfectly fine where it is, so he should be getting adequate
UVB lighting.

Tracie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
Well last night I got him to sit in his basking spot a little longer. Maybe an hour. I have been trying to at least put him there to see how long he will stay before going back over to the cold side of his tank. This morning he is being a bit of a butt and just wants to sit in his cold side. I have put him in his basking spot a few times but it seems when I leave the room he just goes back to the cold side. I found out that if I leave the door on his basking side open he will sit there a little bit longer. So maybe its just to hot at the 100.8 for him.

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
One thing I did also want to mention is we did recently get a female dragon. He has been trying to mate with her but she is not at a year yet so we have been holding him off. Could that play any part into it?

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
They are not. He lives in my room and she is upstairs. The only time they see each other is if they are both upstairs at the same time

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok well I wouldnt let them see each other anymore - he has a one track mind -- he needs to forget about her -- :lol: Also he may be tired of crickets - I would switch his diet up -- add some dubia roaches and some worms if you have not already --
Karrie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
Ok. Lol. I'll keep them apart as much as I can. I do give him superworms and hornworms as well. I will have to try roaches again. He is off and on with those. Well good news it looks like he basked enough to poop by himself. So thats good. I will work more on switching up his food. Also with supplements I do calcium 3 times a week and vitamins 1 day. Is that the correct amount?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If Stanley is over a year which I am guessing he is he should be getting insects 2-3 times per week and if he is a good veggie eater I wouldnt worry so much w/ the vitamins -- he will get those out of the varied veggies you feed -- the calcium I would dust when you feed him the insects -- when silk worms are back in again I cant find them now everyone is out I would look at getting him some of those -- they are another good staple feeder ---I will give you some websites and you can keep checking them -- www.reptilianarts.com they will send small if you order in bulk like 50 get food they will need to be fed every day and clean containers out
www.coastalsilkworms.com
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping --
www.dubiaroaches.com has good roaches and at this time they are not shipping as they are out of stock on roaches --- this pandemic thing really has hit these places hard not sure what the deal is - they also have nice butter worms which are out of stock again -- horn worms they are a nice hydrating worm and grow really fast -- super worms have not been the greatest from them - dont know what the deal is - I did get some nice super worms from Petsmart yesterday and reptilianarts has nice super worms but are out of stock too so w/ that being said just keep checking for whatever you are looking for --
I dont know if I gave you the nutrition website but here it is again ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom