How much should my beardie eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 beardies there both 2-3 months old they don’t eat very much they have collard greens in the morning and maybe 5 crickets each sometimes less and then when I feed them again they only eat 2-5 Phoenix worms and a few more crickets. Should they be eating more ? And why do they not eat more if they should be. These are my first dragons and I’m in love with them I just want them to be healthy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First off are they housed together? Is so you will need to separate them very soon- dragons are a dominant animal and need their own space - next they will go thru relocation stress so eating will be slow ---what are you using for a UVB? No Coils-- what size tank are they in? What are the basking temps? How are you taking them NO stickons they are inaccurate-- lighting and basking temps are crucial -- keeping them together is not good- eventually one will become dominant over the other one and one will become sick and very unhealthy - once they are settled in they will eat alot- I can help you the feeding but we need to get the lighting and temps straightened out first
Karrie
Karrie

Beardiemomma02

Original Poster
I’m just about to pick up a second tank and separate them the basking temperature is 105 ish according to the thermometer I have it came with the tank ( not a stick one) the uvb light is a zoo Med brand and said 10.0 on it. The tank is 20g I’m pretty sure but the one I’m picking up today is 60g I was going to put a divider so They each have there own side. Will that be ok?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 60 gallon will be fine for one- adult bearded dragons need 75-120 gallon--- the UVB is a coil ? If it is you need to get a tube one a 24" fixtures w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- you will need to get two of them -- 30 gallons is not big enough for a full size dragon -- you can separate the two for now doing that but I would look at getting another bigger tank -- I can help w/ the feedings here -- right now I am on my way out the door w/ my two for vet check ups --- :)
Karrie

Beardiemomma02

Original Poster
Ok just cause there still small I was gonna do the split tank and get a second big tank in a few weeks after pay day haha and the UVB is not a cool it’s a tube one. I’m getting a second set for the other half of the tank as well. Also Good luck at the vet ?

Beardiemomma02

Original Poster
Sooo I put them in the new tank last night and I’m putting up the divider today but my one baby is turning really dark and black in his tummy and his top. Is it because it’s a new tank? He’s also running along the glass part and freaking out. They both have been waving there arms. The other one seems ok she’s gotten more dull in her colouring and some darkness on her belly but not as bad as the other. I take him out and put him in my sweater and pet his head and he seems to calm down and the black goes away but then I put him in again and he goes crazy and turns black again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are you doing for UVB? Details brand and bulb where in the tank is it? Basking temps? what are they and how are you taking them -- the behavior glass surfing can be a number of reasons so we need to get rule out the lighting first --- the temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate for basking temps -- they are gonna go thru relocation stress -- it will effect their eating -- the arm waving is a mating thing -- it means submission - they are too young for mating -- their eating will slow down but should not completely stop -- so NO coils -- basking temps need to be 105-110 taken by a digital probe therm----
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom