Please Help Iroh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchykin

Hi! This is my first post and I wish it was under better circumstances. My adopted bearded dragon Iroh isn’t eating anything except bugs and very very rarely a carrot. In the last 2 months he slowly started eating less and less till nothing. He hasn’t eaten an actual proper salad in 6 weeks and I just tried my last hope, bee pollen, and nothing so far. For context, I’ve had him since January this year and we get along great, his age is unknown but adult. He never eats in front of me however which I have found to be odd and he hasn’t grown out of this. 2 months ago I had to go away for several weeks due to major surgery and during this time Iroh was taken care of by my family. He no longer got the daily exercise I gave him or the regular supplements. I don’t know if this contributes but I figured it may?? I’m just so scared and I don’t have a good exotic vet I trust near me. Luckily he isn’t thin, he still has quite a bit of tummy jiggle and when he is out he seems normal-ish. He does not have MBD or any health issues to my knowledge. He isn’t basking and will sleep all day if I let him. He will be in his cave for hours which is weird behavior for him considering he rarely used his hides before now. He also recently had a very very bad shed. And I mean I haven’t really heard anything like it. He started shedding in early April and his last piece is finally falling off now. It took him months to shed. I bathed him, gave him high water content foods and still. He isn’t acting himself. His energy is low. I just want him to feel better and be the active little bugger he was before I went in for surgery. Please please help me!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is unfortunate, sorry to hear his demeanor has changed since your surgery!
If you can, post some pictures of his tank setup, along with pictures of him just so we can
see his physical condition too. I am assuming you have a good UVB light? Which supplements
do you use for him, along with the bee pollen?
There is a possibility that he could be trying to brumate as so many of them tend to try & do in
the late spring to early summer. You could consider trying to get a fecal done on him, just to be
sure his coccidia or worm levels are not high.
You don't have any vets nearby?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is a website for a vet www.arav.org -- we need to go over the lighting in the tank --- please tell us or show us what your using for a UVB https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I just wanted to add that lingering sheds are not uncommon at all in adult beardies so they can have parts shedding that take months. Not a health problem at all. Sometimes owners start over-bathing , applying shed aids, etc. that stress the dragon and may contribute to the hiding behavior.

Munchykin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1oit0pws said:
Here is a website for a vet http://www.arav.org -- we need to go over the lighting in the tank --- please tell us or show us what your using for a UVB https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate ---
Karrie

Hi thanks. He has a uvb bulb in a dome along with a heat emitter and another heat bulb. His basking temps are regulated with a regulator and cool side stays mid- high 80’s and hot side high 90’s with a basking temp of 104. Night temps are mid to low 70’s but never reach 60’s. Here are photos of him and his set up.
108789-6411275728.jpg
108789-9529062262.jpg
108789-5260869637.jpg
108789-536628599.jpg

Munchykin

Original Poster
Drache613":17ydgjtq said:
Hello,

That is unfortunate, sorry to hear his demeanor has changed since your surgery!
If you can, post some pictures of his tank setup, along with pictures of him just so we can
see his physical condition too. I am assuming you have a good UVB light? Which supplements
do you use for him, along with the bee pollen?
There is a possibility that he could be trying to brumate as so many of them tend to try & do in
the late spring to early summer. You could consider trying to get a fecal done on him, just to be
sure his coccidia or worm levels are not high.
You don't have any vets nearby?

Tracie

I don’t really have a good exotic vet. I looked in the past and only saw things about birds at these exotic vets so I’m not sure bringing my reptile there would do much. But he for supplements he has Calcium with D3, Calcium without D3 and a multivitamin. I posted pics of his tank set up. It’s very temporary as his 120 gallon gets set up. He has a large 30” UVB strip light for that too once it’s finished. Thank you for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok in one of those domes is a coil UVB? If that is the case that would be a reason for the behavior-- when are you getting him moved to the new tank?
Karrie

Munchykin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ks5lwwo said:
Ok in one of those domes is a coil UVB? If that is the case that would be a reason for the behavior-- when are you getting him moved to the new tank?
Karrie

He has the Reptisun 10.0 13w mini UVB bulb. It’s not really a coil- more tube like. His larger cage will be done in 2 weeks. I will gladly set up his large UVB if you think that would help him. That one is a T8 25 uvb strip.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes get rid of the 13 watt--- the T 8 needs to be unobstructed and NO plastic cover over the bulb if there is one and basking decor piece needs to be 6-8 inches from the UVB -- change it out and see what his behavior does then
Karrie

Munchykin

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1e4gqaly said:
Yes get rid of the 13 watt--- the T 8 needs to be unobstructed and NO plastic cover over the bulb if there is one and basking decor piece needs to be 6-8 inches from the UVB -- change it out and see what his behavior does then
Karrie

Ok I will do that now. Thank you for your help! I will update if his behavior has changed. Thank you again.

Munchykin

Original Poster
Hello!
It’s been a while since I updated this thread but I wanted to thank anyone who helped me. Iroh went into brumation 4 months ago and has finally woken up, he ate his first meal an hour ago. It was his first brumation with me and it was incredibly nerve wracking. He is doing much, much better now so thank you all!! ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom