Help! Is this tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becs1

108786-2177551142.jpg
108786-4861875507.jpg
Hi All,
I’m new to owning bearded dragons but not reptiles. We got 2 babies 2 weeks ago and I noticed this black bend in the end of ones tail, I’ve been watching it and am thinking it may be tail rot. Would really appreciate any feedback?!?!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just keep an eye on it, it's not something that can be definitely identified yet, it may just be a kink from a bite or other trauma. You can dab betadine on it every day as well as neosporin. If the area gets worse + climbs up the tail then you'll probably need a vet. BTW, it's best to keep the babies in separate tanks if they aren't already. How are the little guys doing otherwise and do you have the right type of sset up ? Can you post a few pics of their tank + lights ?

Becs1

Original Poster
108786-1918897415.jpg
Thanks AHBD. I wish the place I purchased these guys had informed us not to have 2 together, some places can be misleading ? I’m working on another enclosure to separate them.
This is the current set up. 2foot UVB 10.0 light, basking spot lamp and ceramic heat lamp. During the day the spotlight end sits at 37-40degrees Celsius, the cool end sits at 27degrees. I feed them Calcium dusted live crickets each morning and fresh vegetables each afternoon, they also have vitamin enriched pellets.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, sometimes you can get away with it but bites are VERY common. Still, his tail may be fine [ but more biting can happen at any time ] Your set up is beautiful, you did a great job. :) Nice climbing areas and good lighting. Is the uvb a t8 or t5 ? If a t8 it's best to mount it under the screen with wire.
What type of substrate is that ? It may be a problem if they swallow it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your tank looks beautiful but I would ditch the pellets-- I would replace w/ some NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store - cut it to the size of your tank and clean w/ a vinegar/ water 50-50 solution -- insects cannot get underneath --- also the UVB's need to be directly overhead w/ certain distances - they are different for each bulb --
please specify what you have
Karrie

Becs1

Original Poster
Hi. The UVB is 10.0 T8, it does not have the wire cover and depending on where there dragons are depends on distance from the light but there are numerous places 6-8 inches from the light. After reading more I may look at getting a T5, t8 has always been enough for our turtles and pythons. The substrate is a paper cat litter which was recommended where we got these guys and some other websites. I’ll look at replacing it with paper...
thanks for your input :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure what wire cover is ? The T 8 hoods usually come w/ a clear plastic cover over the bulb and when changing the bulb out you haft to take it off --- that is the cover I am talking about - leave that cover off
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom