need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dina332

hi, i’m new at this. recently i got a beardie who’s around 7 months old. i feed her around 3-5 giant mealworms twice a day(the previous owner would feed her these) along with other insects. there’s a lot of discussion about how meal worms cause impaction and i don’t know what to do... should i keep feeding her the giant mealworms?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 7 months impaction is less likely than with a younger dragon. What other bugs are you offering? If you're offering them along with a good variety of bugs and also some veges (even if they are refused for now) then I wouldn't worry about offering a few mealworms in the mix. I would look into silk worms and horn worms and black soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms, calci worms, etc are brand names) and add those to the rotation when you can get them.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
We have a 7 month old and I wouldn't be comfortable feeding her giant mealworms. If you want to keep feeding them as part of a diet, I'd go for the regular size. JMO - I'm still paranoid about ours eating anything very big.
I second the bsfl for sure. I've ordered from Sympton and from calcigrubs.com

dina332

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2kxskxi5 said:
At 7 months impaction is less likely than with a younger dragon. What other bugs are you offering? If you're offering them along with a good variety of bugs and also some veges (even if they are refused for now) then I wouldn't worry about offering a few mealworms in the mix. I would look into silk worms and horn worms and black soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms, calci worms, etc are brand names) and add those to the rotation when you can get them.

thank you for your quick reply it helped a lot, i feed her mealworms along with crickets and wood roaches.

dina332

Original Poster
WinFam01":1qbyy2f0 said:
We have a 7 month old and I wouldn't be comfortable feeding her giant mealworms. If you want to keep feeding them as part of a diet, I'd go for the regular size. JMO - I'm still paranoid about ours eating anything very big.
I second the bsfl for sure. I've ordered from Sympton and from calcigrubs.com

i totally understand that paranoia, usually i cut the giant mealworms in half to ensure they are small enough. also thanks for the website i’ll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom