New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep the crickets container clean - I would clean it out daily -- I am not a fan of crickets at all - they die off to quick and they stink - it is so sad you cant get dubias in CA -- I would see about getting some locust or maybe discoid roaches -- you want small locust tho nothing bigger than the size between the eyes length wise -- keep the phoenix worms on your kitchen counter or by the tank and really nothing to care for them --- they last about 2 weeks or so before turning into flys and then you can feed them to the dragon as well
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":rhtmhbvd said:
Keep the crickets container clean - I would clean it out daily -- I am not a fan of crickets at all - they die off to quick and they stink - it is so sad you cant get dubias in CA -- I would see about getting some locust or maybe discoid roaches -- you want small locust tho nothing bigger than the size between the eyes length wise -- keep the phoenix worms on your kitchen counter or by the tank and really nothing to care for them --- they last about 2 weeks or so before turning into flys and then you can feed them to the dragon as well
Karrie

The fly thing concerns me, I feel like an accident could happen and a bunch of flies will be let loose in the apartment?

I agree with what you mean with crickets. They are sort of a pain.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can pull the wings off of them --- usually they dont get that far before the dragon has them all eaten
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fti0gj1 said:
You can pull the wings off of them --- usually they dont get that far before the dragon has them all eaten
Karrie

Okay that gives me some comfort. So just to summarize everything:

Get a salad going in the morning and add worms, crickets with legs pulled to entice him to the bowl.

In the evening I can put insects in the dish and entice him to that as well? Crickets can be dusted with the calcium and multivitamin but I dont think phoenix worms can be dusted like that?

I will wait on an order for phoenix worms and the crickets will become more of a thing for variety I guess? As well as the flies with wings pulled?

I have butterworms for now but that should only be reserved for a treat really right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Butter worms BSFL and super worms small as lures to the salad bowl-- you want him to that bowl -- the BSFl are a great staple feeder especially for babies do not dust them just your crickets -- they will be the main course but w/ the worms and the BSFL your feeding will be a compliment to his diet -- feed all of them --- feed your salad and worms first in the morning - let him eat from that bowl for like an hr or so then feed the crickets - you can take a little salad out of the bowl then add the crickets it will get him back to the bowl - then try feeding more crickets no salad in the afternoon say around 2-3 or so -- he needs 2-3 hrs of basking time before lights out --
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1edziq33 said:
Butter worms BSFL and super worms small as lures to the salad bowl-- you want him to that bowl -- the BSFl are a great staple feeder especially for babies do not dust them just your crickets -- they will be the main course but w/ the worms and the BSFL your feeding will be a compliment to his diet -- feed all of them --- feed your salad and worms first in the morning - let him eat from that bowl for like an hr or so then feed the crickets - you can take a little salad out of the bowl then add the crickets it will get him back to the bowl - then try feeding more crickets no salad in the afternoon say around 2-3 or so -- he needs 2-3 hrs of basking time before lights out --
Karrie

Oh okay. So far he went for one butter worm in the salad bowl. Then came back for a second about an hour or so later. And then ignored the third one altogether. I removed it and the dried up kale since I was concerned of losing a worm. I will try and see if he will go for crickets for lunch in the bowl and update the experts. :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can also get silk worms they are another great staple feeder as well - do you have the nutrition website? If not I will post it for you
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":n2xft9yk said:
You can also get silk worms they are another great staple feeder as well - do you have the nutrition website? If not I will post it for you
Karrie

Yup I got that page bookmarked and open on my phone and work computer and personal computer. Trying to study and memorize it haha. I added two crickets with back legs removed although they still seem quite active and climbing out of bowl. I waved one in front and then put it into the bowl. But he has not come out yet to get them. Hopefully just stressed still from the move? Or full with the butter worms? Those two works were his first meal in two days. They probably go through the same stomach shrinking behaviour as humans when fasting?

108776-6386716096.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get yourself a glass or ceramic bowl the insects and worms can't get out of- we need him to keep eating - relocation stress has alot to do w/ appetite--
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
KarrieRee":14u92ml6 said:
Get yourself a glass or ceramic bowl the insects and worms can't get out of- we need him to keep eating - relocation stress has alot to do w/ appetite--
Karrie

He didnt eat his crickets but he did just shed a little bit so I am wondering if that is also a possible cause? Relocating during a shed? His tail was looking slightly more pale. He didnt get it all off, not sure if I amsupposed to bathe and help him with that or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No just let it be ---- when it becomes crackly you can spray it w/ some water take a baby tooth brush and lightly brush it -- it will help it come off - and yes shedding can cause them to not eat as much and they become crabby especially when they get older ---
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
We started on crickets, which I hated! Got some bsfl and dubias (yes too bad you can't get them) and haven't looked back.
We keep our bsfl in a small cooler with a cold pack to keep them from turning into flies, and it allows me to only have to order about once a month. I have started feeding them small bits of soft fruit from time to time since we are keeping them longer, but that is a personal choice, not a necessity.

erodred

Original Poster
I found out that a local pet shop near me sells the BSFL so I will grab them hopefully this weekend to try out.

erodred

Original Poster
Another point of concern though I realized is, if feeding worms, I need to dust the salad. But if I am dusting the salad and my baby does not want to eat it, he is not getting the nutrients he needs. I plan to get silk worms and phoenix worms today or tomorrow morning, but worried about him not getting his multivitamins in (since phoenix worms may handle the calcium w/o D3).

Another thing is he closes his eyes lots when basking and I am reading it could mean that the light is too bright or something. Or it is just what he wants to do while basking. Is there a way to determine which one it is?

For the record I am using the Exo Terra Daytime heat lamp 150W. I do have another basking bulb that is rated 100W from some brand called Thrive. I felt the 100W was not enough to get the temps, but since the UVB bulb got placed inside I do notice the temps get higher and had to raise my bulb up on its stand.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom