Eevee's fight for survival after egg infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

How is little Eevee tonight?
Did you call the vet today or are you going to wait?
I am disappointed as well, that your vet doesn't seem to be very concerned. Can you
find another vet?
We do not recommend enemas because they are oftentimes fatal. If she is still having
some trouble, spaying if at all possible would probably be the best option. Oxytocin is
usually helpful so if she is post ovulatory but having some trouble that can be given.
How is her appetite doing?
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well the past two nights have been stressful to say the least. I forgot I didn't post on here.. went straight to pming Tracie.. but 2 nights ago Eevee started straining.. and kept straining for a couple hours at least.. around her vent was super swollen.. and she was near prolapse.. I had put her in the bath and that's where we stayed.. me rubbing her belly, applying olive oil around her vent, and holding her tail up for her until finally she was able to pass this monster double egg!! It was a tough battle. I almost couldn't take it anymore!! Was seconds away from breaking down into tears before she finally got it out.. then she was fine.. here's some pics .
100664-5540116019.jpg
100664-9219676340.jpg
100664-7123279902.jpg
Last night.. same story.. although it wasn't as bad.. she pushed for maybe 15mins.. and as soon as I put her in bath water she passed another 2 eggs at the same time. They weren't as fused together as the first night.. but still connected.
The weird part is that she's fine other then having trouble pushing them out. But she doesn't dig, she still eats it's like she has no idea what she's supposed to do and can only get them out if I help her.
I know if the eggs are fused together like they are that could be a sign of calcium deficiency but I really don't think that's a possibility the vet told me her calcium levels were fine before and since then I've been giving her liquid and powder calcium. I just don't understand why she won't dig her nest and attempt to lay them all at once. It's a repeat of last time except Shes not sick like she was. I will probably have to find a new vet but money is tight and I know if I go to a new vet I'm going to have to pay for new blood tests new x-rays new diagnosis and treatment.. none of this is fair.
My big question for right now at least is what do I do if she ends up completely prolapsing while trying to push one of them out? Because that was my biggest fear the other night. I will keep you guys posted.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow ! Poor girl has had such a struggle with this but this must be such a relief for her !! Maybe this will be the last of the eggs now. I've been thinking about her all through this situation and just hoping that there would be no prolapse so that is good news. Keep some raw honey to apply around + partially in to her vent, that will lubricate as well as acting as an anti inflammatory. And did you say her appetite is still good ?

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
A little bit of sugar water fixes a prolapse. I don’t know the specifics for a beardie, so a vet mod will have to expand on this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good reminder , a sugar water soak can reduce the swelling and sometimes the prolapse will revert back in. Other times it will not do the trick and a vet is needed. I have carefully put a prolapse back in a 12 " juvie once but it has to be done very carefully. That was the only time I saw or dealt with one personally. In the meantime use the honey rather than olive oil as a lubricant and to reduce any swelling.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Oh my gosh! Eevee is so lucky to have you, I am so impressed by your patience and dedication.
You are right, this isn't fair for her and you to have to keep going through this!
I saw Tracie suggested spaying, I can't even imagine the cost of that, but it is something you may look into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom