Off His Feed - When to Worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes UVB helps them absorb the calcium they get- if they aren't getting any UVB they will quit eating-
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
ComicBookMama":3nnx9vph said:
KarrieRee":3nnx9vph said:
Try a dinner plate or a cereal bowl -how far away is the basking decor for the UVB?
Karrie

I just got a new stone-type dish... UV is 8 inches above basking area.
I think she meant to weigh him on. ??

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":378wcys4 said:
Yep-- lol?
Karrie

I'm such a thickhead sometimes! I thought she meant to measure the distance from the UV... I was thinking, well, it's almost a salad plate away... :lol:

On the upside, he ate a bit of salad last night, and I didn't offer any bugs. This morning he had the most normal-looking poo he's had since he was a baby and I started him on dubias. Log-shaped, clear liquid around it (though it had a light brown tint that made me question the urates a bit), but otherwise perfect. I'm wondering if the dubias affect the size and shape of his poops, or whether it's that he's been getting too much squash. Hmm. :?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes dubias will have an effect on his poops - too much squash will give extra water --- so he is definitely hydrated-- hes eating so I wouldnt worry to much about him --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't remember but is Fig an adult ? Can you post a full body pic of him ? Some large adults are so well fed that they sort of regulate themselves when their body doesn't need the extra food.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2mrf8r7s said:
I can't remember but is Fig an adult ? Can you post a full body pic of him ? Some large adults are so well fed that they sort of regulate themselves when their body doesn't need the extra food.

Figment is just over a year old, best as I can calculate - I got him at the end of August last year, but buying from a pet shop, you can't ever be 100% sure of the age. The guy told me he was three or four months old at the time.

Here's a few shots of him from today. I tried to weigh him, but I think I'm doing it wrong... I was going to put him in a shoebox, so I put the shoebox on the scale and zeroed the scale out. Then I put Figment in and it said he was 610g. Then he moved inside the box, and it said he was 616g. Finally, I took the box off the scale, turned off the scale and turned it back on, weighed him in the box (762g) then weighed the box on its own (172g) and subtracted, getting 590g. So now I am confused and can only say that he's somewhere between 590g and 616g. :roll:

Needless to say, I feel like a numbskull - a college educated teacher who can't make a simple digital scale work right!

But I can point and shoot a phone camera, so here are pics. :D

full

full

full

full

Are you done taking pictures yet???
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cute - take a ice cream bucket place on scale zero scale out put fig in it get your weight- or you can use a dinner plate or cereal bowl -
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":29329rod said:
Cute - take a ice cream bucket place on scale zero scale out put fig in it get your weight- or you can use a dinner plate or cereal bowl -
Karrie

I'll have to find a bucket of some sort... he is too big for our cereal bowls, and walked right off the plate! That's why I thought I'd try to do a carboard shoebox (the plastic one was too small for him, and he didn't stay put)...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ah, he looks good , healthy and handsome. He appears to be a bold adventurous type and more interested in exploring the world right now. :) All kidding aside I think he's just being like some young adults that will at only when really hungry . Looks healthy in every way and more on the lean side which is better than overweight.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
ComicBookMama":lkt08wiy said:
KarrieRee":lkt08wiy said:
Yep-- lol?
Karrie

I'm such a thickhead sometimes! I thought she meant to measure the distance from the UV... I was thinking, well, it's almost a salad plate away... :lol:

On the upside, he ate a bit of salad last night, and I didn't offer any bugs. This morning he had the most normal-looking poo he's had since he was a baby and I started him on dubias. Log-shaped, clear liquid around it (though it had a light brown tint that made me question the urates a bit), but otherwise perfect. I'm wondering if the dubias affect the size and shape of his poops, or whether it's that he's been getting too much squash. Hmm. :?
:lol:
It's like having a new baby - all about eating and pooing!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":e7vx7c14 said:
Ah, he looks good , healthy and handsome. He appears to be a bold adventurous type and more interested in exploring the world right now. :) All kidding aside I think he's just being like some young adults that will at only when really hungry . Looks healthy in every way and more on the lean side which is better than overweight.

Thanks for the assessment- I really appreciate it! If other young adult dragons are picky about eating only when they’re really hungry, I won’t worry quite so much. And I do try to make sure he doesn’t overeat; I have enough problems with my own weight not to want to deal with obesity in my pets!

And Karrie, I’m still working on weighing him... he just seems to have other places he’d rather be than on the scale! Lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom