New Bearded Dragon, Some New Owner Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lots of good advice from Karrie so far. :) I would avoid even small superworms for now until he's a bit larger and you're more certain that he's eating + digesting everything good. One more suggestion, be sure that any crickets are smaller than the distance between his eyes.

erodred

Original Poster
AHBD":1c5n92ve said:
Lots of good advice from Karrie so far. :) I would avoid even small superworms for now until he's a bit larger and you're more certain that he's eating + digesting everything good. One more suggestion, be sure that any crickets are smaller than the distance between his eyes.

Thanks! Even though I bought "small" I feel like some are pretty large right now. Are we talking length or width for the cricket size?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just make sure he has 2 -3 hrs of basking time after eating--- the super worms will be fine if you can get small ones and good luck on the butter worms - they are a great worm to feed nice and soft
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's the length. This is like a rule of thumb, as the dragon gets older + bigger that is not much of a problem anymore. And the superworms MAY be fine but many stores mark them as small when they're still too big. Very small, a half to 3/4 inch may be fine for some but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

erodred

Original Poster
AHBD":2avzeaud said:
It's the length. This is like a rule of thumb, as the dragon gets older + bigger that is not much of a problem anymore. And the superworms MAY be fine but many stores mark them as small when they're still too big. Very small, a half to 3/4 inch may be fine for some but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

The length of the cricket changes everything.... I felt if they are skinny enough between the eyes they can go down his throat easily... will be more picky with the crickets.

erodred

Original Poster
So today I made a quick kale and butterworm salad. I tore up some kale and I started adding some butterworms to it. I did this in front of his tank and he literally dove from the tree and was trying to get through the glass to my container of butter worms. I then put his dish inside the enclosure and took the container away. He did go on top of his dish and take a peak but he chose to climb back into his tree. Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Put the dish in the tank and add the worms --- you got his attention -- do it again in front of him but in the tank - set it down in front of him where hes sitting - he will come -
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
No, it just takes some trial and error. Sounds like he didn't see anything move right away and gave up too quickly. When our girl does that I just put her back in front of the dish and stir it around a bit.

erodred

Original Poster
He ate 2 butterworms but didnt eat the salad. I tried to offer the third one by hand but he refused. But at least he got something in his belly which is a small victory. Do you recommend I try crickets tonight or let his stomach just handle the smaller meal as he deals with some stress. I do think when I moved the UVB bulb inside that it stressed him out a bit. I made a bit of loud noises. I also bought some heat resistant zip ties and tied it down to make sure it will provide an extra level of security with the command velcro strips.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes offer him his insects- keep up w/ the salads in the morning-- try disabling the crickets by pulling a leg or two off and adding them to the bowl in front of him- see how that goes- you can also order some small super worms and horn worms from here www.dubiaroaches.com order medium hornworms they will come small and order small amounts they grow really fast--- feed 1-3 on his salads add in front of him - they will squirm and get his attention--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
About that---- they do need to warm before breakfast- I feed mine about 2 hrs after lights on-- offer him insects in the morning too - can you get dubias?
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
I dont think they are allowed in Canada. I remember looking for them when I had a leopard gecko. Considered an invasive species.

I will try disabling those crickets for his morning salad tomorrow. As well as offering them dusted at night.

His mother and I argue over trying to offer them off tongs or by hand. What do you think about that? She thinks me offering it will stress him out.

I also dropped a few water droplets on his head and he barely licked it so I guess he feels hydrated, possibly from the worms? It does not look like he touched the kale that I put in with the butterworms. He just got the worms.

As to the food dish, should I always try and offer insects in that dish? I am guessing he will associate the dish with food and check it more often?

Beardies seem to have a bit more personality than my leopard gecko. The leopard gecko I can throw the crickets in and I know he will spend the night hunting them while I slept. Was never picky at all and adjusted to his home easier. Plus heating requirements mattered more than lighting.

I am enjoying Toothless's presence in my office while I work or do my hobbies. Just hoping he will bond with me and have a strong appetite soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is good to feed by hand and tongs will work but I would go w/ the hand too - its going to bond and build trust w/ you --- and yes no dubias in CA unfortunately -- get some BSFL or nutri grubs calci worms or phoenix worms all the same thing -- they will work better for salad toppers and harder to get - order large dont dust them --- try this website www. https://www.thewormlady.ca/
As long as he keeps eating his appetite will increase
Karrie

erodred

Original Poster
Thanks! I will take a look at ordering the phoenix worms. Any care tips for the worms? Crickets seem to die pretty fast but its only a 10 minute drive from my source so I am not too bothered. I have 30 small that is probably down to 20 but since he is not eating they are just happily munching on the fluker diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom