Lighting placement, NEED HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrystanB

Heyy I just got a new baby beardie and I have everything I need I think I just need help on lighting I see so many things saying right and wrong and I just want my lil natsu to be healthy and happy so if u can help and tell me if it’s okay or not that’d be amazing!!!!!
108770-6687941439.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would probably turn the dual dome so that it is parallel (long end) with the side of the enclosure then turn the UVB fixture to go along side it and line them both up over the log for the most output right on that basking log.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You dont need it the whole length of the tank -- they need to be able to get out of the UVB rays if need be --- you dont want her hiding from it
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I take it your going to upgrade the 20 gallon soon - as long as she is able to get 6-8 inches from the UVB and there is no screen obstructing the UVB your good - and you said the cover is off -- watch her behavior and keep us posted
Karrie

TrystanB

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qn9vae6 said:
I take it your going to upgrade the 20 gallon soon - as long as she is able to get 6-8 inches from the UVB and there is no screen obstructing the UVB your good - and you said the cover is off -- watch her behavior and keep us posted
Karrie
since I got everything set up from yesterday I added a hammock and a stick on the cool side so he has something else to adventure on, but today he didn’t eat his usual 6 crickets he just looked at them and he’s been on his basking log since 10 this morning it’s 5 now and for a little bit he’s had the stress marks on his belly and I don’t really know what he’s stressing about. Could it still be that he’s new here? I’ve had him for 3 or 4 whole days now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes - he is going thru relocation stress- so you got everything set up w/ basking temps 105-110 and your uvb is where it should be? Offer him his salads tomorrow morning - do you have any worms like bsfl or small superworms anything like that? He's gonna be off his eating a little but he should not quit eating all together- you will probably need to order some worms to lure him to his salad bowl-- I would look at getting him over on dubia roaches as well-- I can get you some websites for those if you like- he's probably stressing over the hammock ?
New decor tends to do that along w/ change- so is under the basking and UVB together?
Karrie

TrystanB

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1wwaw94j said:
Yes - he is going thru relocation stress- so you got everything set up w/ basking temps 105-110 and your uvb is where it should be? Offer him his salads tomorrow morning - do you have any worms like bsfl or small superworms anything like that? He's gonna be off his eating a little but he should not quit eating all together- you will probably need to order some worms to lure him to his salad bowl-- I would look at getting him over on dubia roaches as well-- I can get you some websites for those if you like- he's probably stressing over the hammock ?
New decor tends to do that along w/ change- so is under the basking and UVB together?
Karrie
good news I offered him some more crickets and he ate about 5 so he got some food today and he sometimes eats some collard greens and carrots that I cut up for him and feed him daily, before I knew I’d give him mealworms as like a “treat” I wouldn’t give him but 2 a day, but I stopped using mealworms because I found out they are bad for him. But he’s very happy when I take him out of his terrarium, for example right now he’s running all around my bed exploring and is just very energetic and his stress marks disappear completely. So I should remove the hammock and keep the terrarium the same way I had it at first until he calms down a bit? And I’ll send a picture of the lighting update I have now. And yes all of his temps and humidity is correct. His basking is about 104 his warm is 88 and cool is around 75 Fahrenheit

TrystanB

Original Poster
KarrieRee":7rgmkv0k said:
Ok well keep us updated on him
Karrie
Update, he’s eating a lot more and seems more comfortable today his “lunch” he’s never eaten more than like 4. Today he ate around 9 and before that when I walked in from picking up the crickets he was eating his salad and after that got a drink out of his water bowl. I dusted the crickets with a multivitamin also. All together the important note is he went from probably 6 crickets a day with no veggies to veggies and about 20 crickets a day!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
:blob5: Excellent! Ok now you can get him some variety of food - its great hes eating his salad :)
www.symtonbsf.com BSFL great staple feeder order large you dont need to dust
www.dubiaroaches.com you can get BSFL from here also known as nutri grubs - horn worms and super worms - they have small med and large -
www.reptilianarts.com good silk worms when in stock I usually order in bulk like 50 they will need food and clean containers out every day --- they are a good staple feeder-
www.coastalsilkworms.com
Wax worms are too fatty if you get them feed sparingly and occasionally - No meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs
Nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder ---
Karrie

TrystanB

Original Poster
KarrieRee":g051mxd9 said:
:blob5: Excellent! Ok now you can get him some variety of food - its great hes eating his salad :)
http://www.symtonbsf.com BSFL great staple feeder order large you dont need to dust
http://www.dubiaroaches.com you can get BSFL from here also known as nutri grubs - horn worms and super worms - they have small med and large -
http://www.reptilianarts.com good silk worms when in stock I usually order in bulk like 50 they will need food and clean containers out every day --- they are a good staple feeder-
http://www.coastalsilkworms.com
Wax worms are too fatty if you get them feed sparingly and occasionally - No meal worms they are too harsh on babies stomachs
Nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder ---
Karrie
another update on Natsu, he's continuing to eat daily and my friends and I have seen noticeable growth. I'd imagine that is good. I mounted his tube 18" uvb bulb on the inside like you said, and his temperatures are correct. I've had him for about a week and a half now and I can still notice stress marks sometimes and he still doesn't eat like I see juveniles eat on youtube, like how they'll eat 20 or more crickets in one sitting. My daily routine is I'll turn his lights on at about 9:30 in the morning then let him bask for a couple of hours and I'll feed him around 12:30 or 1 in the afternoon and on average he eats 6 crickets and a bit of his greens and some watermelon. I don't know if its still relocation stress or what. I'm also assuming he's about to shed because his head and back have gotten pretty light compared to his color and he's rubbing those spots on objects like he's trying to scratch it off. he is still really active and loves to run around when I take him out, and those stress marks disappear immediately. today I was not able to get crickets because everyone was out so i got some super worms instead I was sure one day of just super worms and greens is okay. so today he ate some watermelon a little greens and about 7 super worms. in the future I'm gonna try to get him Phoenix worms to feed him more and get silk worms. out of all of this I just want to know if he sounds like he is okay or if that's not normal for a juvenile to eat that much. I'm sorry this is so long I just want to get everything straight and want Natsu healthy and happy!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lay off the superworms NOW -- he will not go back to eating anything else - supers should be used to lure him to his salad bowl --- 1-3 no more --- he needs a staple feeder like dubia roaches silk worms or crickets or BSFL-- I am gonna give you some websites for insects and worms ---
www.reptilianarts.com nice silk worms they are out keep checking if you finally get some ordered from here and order in bulk like 50 they come small make sure you get food too feed daily and clean containers out daily as well -- they have dubias and supers - nice super worms --- the roaches come in a cup w/ egg cartons - I suggest you get a 10 gallon aquarium and feed them dubia food and carrots and squash for hydration -- roaches last longer than crickets and are easier to keep just dont feed your dragon carrots too to much Vit A --
www.coastalsilkworms.com
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping --
www.dubiaroaches.com they are who I usually get roaches and worms from they are currently not shipping roaches -- I get horn worms super worms and roaches from them -- I recommend getting some horn worms at some point they are a good hydrating worm but they grow really fast so only order in small amounts --- BSFL can be ordered from them to they are called nutri grubs phoenix worms or calci worms --- those too can be used to lure to the salad bowl -- do not dust them they are high in calcium -- feed as many as you want
www.symtonbsf.com good place for BSFL
Here is website for nutrition PLease NO more watermelon -- its going to give him runny stools --
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
You will need a glass or ceramic bowl so the worms etc cannot get out --
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I understand why you did that, not much you can do when some place is out of something.
Our baby did not eat like what you're talking about for weeks if not months. Now she is 7 months and eats like a horse. ?

TrystanB

Original Poster
KarrieRee":12h6f86a said:
Lay off the superworms NOW -- he will not go back to eating anything else - supers should be used to lure him to his salad bowl --- 1-3 no more --- he needs a staple feeder like dubia roaches silk worms or crickets or BSFL-- I am gonna give you some websites for insects and worms ---
http://www.reptilianarts.com nice silk worms they are out keep checking if you finally get some ordered from here and order in bulk like 50 they come small make sure you get food too feed daily and clean containers out daily as well -- they have dubias and supers - nice super worms --- the roaches come in a cup w/ egg cartons - I suggest you get a 10 gallon aquarium and feed them dubia food and carrots and squash for hydration -- roaches last longer than crickets and are easier to keep just dont feed your dragon carrots too to much Vit A --
http://www.coastalsilkworms.com
http://www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping --
http://www.dubiaroaches.com they are who I usually get roaches and worms from they are currently not shipping roaches -- I get horn worms super worms and roaches from them -- I recommend getting some horn worms at some point they are a good hydrating worm but they grow really fast so only order in small amounts --- BSFL can be ordered from them to they are called nutri grubs phoenix worms or calci worms --- those too can be used to lure to the salad bowl -- do not dust them they are high in calcium -- feed as many as you want
http://www.symtonbsf.com good place for BSFL
Here is website for nutrition PLease NO more watermelon -- its going to give him runny stools --
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
You will need a glass or ceramic bowl so the worms etc cannot get out --
Karrie
got it, no super worms, today as usual I turned on his lights at around 9:30, and put his fresh salad in and changed his water bowl. I got 30 crickets at about 2 and fed him at 3. I dusted them with calcium without d3 and that reptivite reptile vitamins with d3. HAPPILY Natsu ate about 12 in one sitting and then ran to his basing spot. It is getting better, BUT one thing concerned me with the watermelon I stopped putting in there, but the pieces he ate yesterday I thoroughly checked his watermelon for seeds and I am so sad I almost cried. today his poo was normal looked healthy, but I saw a seed in it with a tiny tiny drop of blood on it and I'm so scared. did I mess up big time or was it from him straining himself I imagine? he is acting completely normal and is loving his spot and looks very aware with bright open eyes and no stress marks. and he is eating even more than the other days. would this mean it is not a parasite and just strain? I'm so scared for his well being I just need some advice from more experienced owners before I waste money on a vet for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom